SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships & CGS D 2022-2023

VanessaB

2 hours ago, Burner_Answer said:

Yeah, got only as far as this as well (including the 'new' award number which is exactly the same as my old one). Nothing new uploaded to Extranet yet. I haven't submitted any documents yet - waiting for the thing to actually show up on Extranet with everything outlined.

Yep, same as everyone else.

22 hours ago, remote13 said:

Let’s all keep each other updated. I might try leaving another voicemail. I never heard back from my first one. 

I got the new notice of award for the full four years, but I was also still eligible for four years of award.

2 hours ago, NateL said:

I got the new notice of award for the full four years, but I was also still eligible for four years of award.

I got a new notice of award this morning as well. Mine was for four years x $20,000 but I am able to use all four because I'm in the first year of my program.

On 4/30/2022 at 3:40 AM, cangrad11 said:

I'm wondering about this too - I'm worried they'll only give 3 years like CGS-D. I haven't heard back but I sent an email Monday and they're forwarding me to a program officer. Have you heard about how many years you would get the 20k for since we have to give up the 35k one? I'm really hoping for the full 4 because it feels unfair otherwise.

I have seen a few folks comment on CGS-D vs SSHRC, so I thought I would comment on my experience in case it helps. Last year I received CGS-D 35K 3 years. I am enrolled in an American PhD program. They ended up switching my CGS-D to a 4 year SSHRC. Best of luck everyone! 

Hi everyone, I emailed my university to ask whether I was on any form of waitlist as I was so close to the cutoff. They explained: there are three possible options for each student.  Recommended, Recommended but not funded, and not offered.

According to the person I was talking with, I was recommended but not funded. Even they explained they dont 100% know if this is a waitlist. I will contact SSHRC and ask what does it all mean. If there is no waitlist, what then happens to the funds? It is also confusing cause on my own application on the portal it says « not offered » so what does « recommended but not funded » mean? 

Will update for anyone that is in the same boat as me. 

Hey Folks who have done this before, has anyone ever contested their results?  I emailed SSHRC for a breakdown, and the difference between member one and member two was pretty substantial (think like more than enough for review two to move my application from well above the threshold for funding, to well below the threshold for funding).

Hello! I've emailed in all my forms, but not heard a confirmation from them. I emailed my forms in around a week ago. Has anyone received a confirmation of their acceptance or receipt of their instalment form? I've sen quite a few emails to SSHRC, and they've never responded....

On 5/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, SoleilSunshinee said:

Hi everyone, I emailed my university to ask whether I was on any form of waitlist as I was so close to the cutoff. They explained: there are three possible options for each student.  Recommended, Recommended but not funded, and not offered.

According to the person I was talking with, I was recommended but not funded. Even they explained they dont 100% know if this is a waitlist. I will contact SSHRC and ask what does it all mean. If there is no waitlist, what then happens to the funds? It is also confusing cause on my own application on the portal it says « not offered » so what does « recommended but not funded » mean? 

Will update for anyone that is in the same boat as me. 

I’m a direct applicant from the US. When I asked SSHRC whether I was on a waitlist because I was 6 spots away from the last awardee, a staff member emailed me the following.

“SSHRC has offered all of the awards associated with this year’s competition to those recommended for funding by this year’s merit review committee. While selection committees often recommend a pool of candidates to whom funding cannot be offered due to program success rates*, we regret that we cannot predict if or when alternate offers can be made.

Unforeseen circumstances may occasionally allow SSHRC to offer awards to meritorious candidates who indicated interest but who were not offered an award at the time of the release of results. Please rest assured that we work with these award holders to ensure that late offers can be held.

Should we be in a position to offer an award before the end of the calendar year, we will contact you by email.”

So if you’re in the “recommended but not offered” group, there is a chance you may get the award before January 1, 2023.  Please correct me if I’m misinterpreting the email.

*The phrase “program success rates” led to this link: https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx 

Edited by qeta

Looking at the merit review committee compositions is very frustrating. Once again, for the fifth year in a row, there is not a single person who studies Africa or Latin America on Committee 2A or Committee 2b. For the first time in that many years, there is also nobody who studies Asia on Committee 2, and Middle East/Arab World representation has also diminished to only one reviewer. 

Of the 16 reviewers on Committee 2A and 2B, 15 of them study Western Europe or Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

@qeta @remote13 @Burner_Question @Burner_Answer @NateL

I had a question for Canadian students getting this in the US or other foreign institutions. The award guidelines say we get the award paid directly: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#other 

Do folks have a sense of whether our institutions can claw back the money we get or not? For example, would we have to hand over the money to our department and they correspondingly reduce our existing stipend? Ive heard this happens a lot with domestic fellowships and also in Canada, for example it happens with the Ford predoctoral fellowship at my school.

Edited by cangrad11

13 hours ago, cangrad11 said:

I had a question for Canadian students getting this in the US or other foreign institutions. The award guidelines say we get the award paid directly: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#other 

Do folks have a sense of whether our institutions can claw back the money we get or not? For example, would we have to hand over the money to our department and they correspondingly reduce our existing stipend? Ive heard this happens a lot with domestic fellowships and also in Canada, for example it happens with the Ford predoctoral fellowship at my school.

At my very rich, private institution, we have to inform the department and the graduate school when we win awards. There’s a cap on how much we can earn per year (1.xx times our regular stipend amount). The school lets us keep the award, but reduces the stipend amount so that we don’t go over the max amount.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:33 AM, cangrad11 said:

No clawback of any sort at my European public university. But my personal / academic situation is quite unique compared to my peers, and not really something that I can unpack in a public forum.

12 hours ago, qeta said:

At my very rich, private institution, we have to inform the department and the graduate school when we win awards. There’s a cap on how much we can earn per year (1.xx times our regular stipend amount). The school lets us keep the award, but reduces the stipend amount so that we don’t go over the max amount.

Thanks for this! I'm also at a pretty wealthy private institution in the US and on an existing internal fellowship, and I don't think i'm fully aware of any mandatory reporting rules, so the idea that I would get paid directly from SSHRC then have to return some of it is..... a lot. Just not sure if folks have heard of students at their institutions who have been in similar situations and not had their original stipends reduced and if so, what %.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, Burner_Question said:

Hello! I've emailed in all my forms, but not heard a confirmation from them. I emailed my forms in around a week ago. Has anyone received a confirmation of their acceptance or receipt of their instalment form? I've sen quite a few emails to SSHRC, and they've never responded....

Did you ever hear anything back @Burner_Question? I emailed everything in around the same time but it's been radio silence

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, cangrad11 said:

Thanks for this! I'm also at a pretty wealthy private institution in the US and on an existing internal fellowship, and I don't think i'm fully aware of any mandatory reporting rules, so the idea that I would get paid directly from SSHRC then have to return some of it is..... a lot. Just not sure if folks have heard of students at their institutions who have been in similar situations and not had their original stipends reduced and if so, what %.

I’m on an internal fellowship too, which is paid via direct deposit in monthly installments. If I end up getting SSHRC, the university HR would deposit a smaller amount each month and I’d keep the SSHRC money. If I were you, I would ask around discretely about the ramifications of not declaring an award. Maybe ask trustworthy graduate students from your department who are no longer at the institution? I personally don’t see a huge problem with not giving more money to private institutions with endowments many times larger than the GDP of most countries. I wouldn’t do it because I study difference and punishment and know that I can’t afford to take those kinds of risks. Plus, my school has a record of being litigious against students.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...