Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

1 minute ago, pathoscientist said:

Same here. Love this game :')

Not sure how they evaluate applications - first applied first? IDK. But Vandy website mentions that the committee meets every monday starting from Dec 1 and evaluate small batches of applications.

Hi everyone! I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Yale, Columbia, UNC Chapel Hill, Hopkins, UW, Albert Einstein, UMD, and Penn State. I just received my first invite to interview with UNC BBSP today!

Edited by PhDHereWeCome

Hi all, I'm applying to Yale BBS, Harvard BBS, UPenn CAMB, and Hopkins BME programs.

Stats:

• Undergrad: BS Biochemistry and BS Chemistry GPA 3.5 
  • Graduate: MS Tumor Biology, GPA 3.65, Georgetown University 
  • Research: ~4.5 years (5.5 years at time of matriculation) for the NIH/NCI
  • Publications: 1 co-first author, 1 first author in peer-review, 6 peer review publications
  • Awards: 1 Undergraduate Research Grant 

16 hours ago, PhDHereWeCome said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Yale, Columbia, UNC Chapel Hill, Hopkins, UW, Albert Einstein, UMD, and Penn State. I just received my first invite to interview with UNC BBSP today!

Which programs in Harvard, Hopkins and Yale?

On 11/29/2021 at 12:20 PM, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Hey! I am applying to UNC and Vanderbilt as well!

Other progs are Harvard BBS, Hopkins CMM, Boston Univ PiBS

Hi! Saw that you applied to Hopkins. Under my application checklist, it doesn't indicate that a CV was received but it also doesn't say that it's missing. I'm 100% certain I attached it at time of submission. Did your application portal do the same?

12 minutes ago, housefly said:

Hi! Saw that you applied to Hopkins. Under my application checklist, it doesn't indicate that a CV was received but it also doesn't say that it's missing. I'm 100% certain I attached it at time of submission. Did your application portal do the same?

Hey!

It indicates "Received" with green check mark for me. 

I heard different programs have different application portal setup. Which program did you apply to? May be its different there. Send an email to grad admissions @ jhu. Send your details attaching CV in your email. If the deadline hasn't passed, they will attach it to your application.

15 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Hey!

It indicates "Received" with green check mark for me. 

I heard different programs have different application portal setup. Which program did you apply to? May be its different there. Send an email to grad admissions @ jhu. Send your details attaching CV in your email. If the deadline hasn't passed, they will attach it to your application.

Ok, thanks! I applied to Pharmacology, which is one of the SOM programs so I thought CMM and Pharmacology may have similar applications. It was weird because it shows that my personal statement was received but then it doesn't say anything about the CV or that it's missing. I've gone ahead and emailed them. Thank you for letting me know!

355791067_ScreenShot2021-12-07at11_59_36PM.png.51d93e36a6b73c875ed7855b689c1058.png

Edited by housefly

International student with MS in molecular and cell biology from Brandeis University (lots of research work during the course)

2.5 years work experience so far - 1.5 years in a lab at Brandeis and 1 year (so far) in a start up in Flagship pioneering ecosystem

2 LoRs from Brandeis faculty and 1 from the  supervisor at my current company.

Here’s the programs I applied to 
UC Davis - Biochemistry, Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology; UPenn - Cell and Molecular Biology; UT Austin - Cellular and Molecular Biology; UC Irvine - Cellular and Molecular Biosciences; UNC-Chapel Hill - Biological and Biomedical Sciences 
Boston University - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry; Rutgers University, New Brunswick - Molecular Biosciences; Baylor College of Medicine - Genetics, and Genomics

Got an email from Baylor asking me whether I’ll be in the US (and available to interview in-person) sometime between Jan and March. This email was on Nov 18, before my last recommendation letters was submitted and they said it was a ‘preliminary review of applications’ 

hoping to hear from them (and other schools) soon. This is nerve-wrecking! 

Good luck everyone! ? 

Just got my first interview invite from Rutgers University, New Brunswick - Molecular Biosciences program.

Interview dates are Jan 28 and Feb 11.

Anyone else applied to the same program here? 

Hi all! I applied to all of the following schools (mostly molecular and cellular biology): Harvard, U of Michigan, Wisconsin-Madison, UPenn, Ohio State, Purdue, Northwestern, WashU, UChicago, and Minnesota. Haven't heard back from anywhere yet but my fingers are crossed. ? Please let me know if you hear back from them and I'll do the same!

General stats:

• Mid 3.90s undergrad GPA
  • Two presentations but no publications
  • ~2.5 years of research experience, 2 as an undergraduate and 0.5 as a lab tech post-graduation

Edit: This is supposed to be a reply to MindyMermaid (oops!):

I don’t know anything specific about UNC’s admissions process but it’s definitely too early to assume rejection from any school. Even if you don’t get an interview invite right away, you might be on a waitlist for an invite. Some people will also cancel interviews as they start getting more interviews from other schools… I’m told it gets very overwhelming to do multiple interviews! Just try to stay patient :) Good luck!

Edited by m114rh.02

Hi everyone! I applied to Harvard BBS/MCB, Yale BBS (MCBG), UPenn CAMB, Vanderbilt IGP, UChicago, UC Berkeley MCB, Duke Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Stanford Regenerative and Stem Cell Biology, and MIT Biology. 

General stats: 

• BA Biology from a small liberal arts school 3.7 gpa
  • undergrad research experience: 1 REU in summer, 1 summer research at my college, 3 years of research during the academic year
  • post-grad research experience: 2 years full time research in an academic lab in Boston studying Regenerative and Stem Cell Biology
  • papers and presentations: multiple poster presentations at conferences, currently preparing first-author manuscript for submission

Good luck to everyone!

14 minutes ago, stemcellenthusiast said:

Just received interview for Yale BBS (MCDG)! First interview and I am through the moon :) 

Virtual interview January 18th-19th and if accepted in-person visit February 24th-27th.

Congratulations! That's interesting that they are holding interviews during the middle of the week

6 minutes ago, PhDHereWeCome said:

Congratulations! That's interesting that they are holding interviews during the middle of the week

Thank you! Yes, it is quite odd. I've heard from a friend who is currently enrolled at Harvard BBS that their virtual interview will also be held during the week rather than on the weekend. Could be a theme for some programs this year of not wanting ruin weekend with zoom interviews!

6 hours ago, stemcellenthusiast said:

Just received interview for Yale BBS (MCDG)! First interview and I am through the moon :) 

Virtual interview January 18th-19th and if accepted in-person visit February 24th-27th.

Congratulations!! Damn, so interview invites for MCDG were out already huh ? also applied to the MCDG track and haven't heard back anything yet.

7 hours ago, hsjkim said:

Congratulations!! Damn, so interview invites for MCDG were out already huh ? also applied to the MCDG track and haven't heard back anything yet.

I received the invitation email on Saturday, which I thought was a bit weird rather than during the week, and it was specifically from one professor in the department rather than the program coordinator. I think there is a chance that not all invites have been sent out yet and that some professors will be emailing students early this next week as well! 

12 hours ago, stemcellenthusiast said:

I received the invitation email on Saturday, which I thought was a bit weird rather than during the week, and it was specifically from one professor in the department rather than the program coordinator. I think there is a chance that not all invites have been sent out yet and that some professors will be emailing students early this next week as well! 

Oh wow, interesting! You must've been a stellar candidate for your professor to reach out to you before official invitations were sent! 

2 minutes ago, hsjkim said:

Oh wow, interesting! You must've been a stellar candidate for your professor to reach out to you before official invitations were sent! 

My coworker also received an invitation today from Yale MCGD. I think they are sending them slowly this year!