Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

9 hours ago, Basicbrology said:

It means a school wants to learn more about you, and are considering you for a seat in their program. To my knowledge, the only way to get into a PhD program is to apply and then attend interviews when you’re invited.

I hope this answers your question. Also, check your spam box regularly so that you don’t miss any updates for interviews.

This! Also, if you use Gmail, my UMass interview invite came through my "Promotions" tab and not my regular inbox. Could have easily missed it if I didn't check.

1 hour ago, Basicbrology said:

Hey,

If you don’t mind me asking, what did the UMass interview invite say? I’m wondering if it’s a disadvantage that I’m a non-trad. Are you applying directly out of college?

Thank you

It was titled "Interview Invitation: Morningside Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences." It basically said that you're invited for an interview and gave you credentials to log in and schedule your interview date/time. I'm not directly out of college; I graduated in 2020 and have been working as a lab tech since

15 hours ago, NerdyNalin said:

Hi! I know you asked someone else this question but for me, they said it's a two day virtual interview. So it begins at 1:00 pm on the first day with an introductory thing and then one on one faculty interviews begin at 3:00 and go to 5:30 pm. Then, they pick up the next day at 10.30 am again. They asked for my top faculty picks and I assume they'll send me which ones they schedule later. Hope this helped!!

Yep this is what my interview invite looked like too! The interview dates are January 13th and 14th and they asked us to submit a list of faculty we would like to meet with.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:40 AM, dreamer14 said:

oh okay, thank you for your reply!

good luck on your interview!

I have received more info on the interview weekend for UofM PCB. Jan 5th through Jan8th are their main interview days with two other back up days in January if applicants have time conflicts. We have received a survey to select potential PI's within the PCB to conduct our interviews and select times of availability. Responses are due this Friday (Dec. 17th) so they can make an itinerary. There are 4 x 20min interviews. Early February, there will be an in person visit if selected from the interviews.

Hey all,

I felt like I should introduce myself since I've been watching this thread like a hawk haha

I'm a senior getting a BS in biochemistry from a medium sized private university in the US (shouldn't be hard to guess if you google my username lol). I have a 3.97 GPA and I didn't take the GRE.

I have 2+ years of academic research lab experience. I spent a summer interning at a pharmaceuticals company R&D lab and since last summer I have been an employee/intern at the NIH in one their extramural offices.

I have one review publication where I'm third author and I have two other research publications in the works. I also have three (I'm assuming strong) LORs from my PI, thesis advisor/mentor, and my boss at the NIH.

I applied to ten schools for a PhD in mid November. Yale BBS MMPP, Harvard BBS, UNC BBSP, Duke CMB, Emory BCDB, UT Austin CMB, UTSW BBS, BCM DDMT, U Washington Seattle M3D, Northwestern Driskill Program.

Thus far I have gotten interview offers from UNC, BCM and Emory.

49 minutes ago, lowkey_surviver said:

do we know if yale bbs has sent out all interview invites? i haven’t heard anything yet…

I have seen some people report things for one Yale BBS track but I haven't seen anything for MMPP

4 hours ago, koala52 said:

It was titled "Interview Invitation: Morningside Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences." It basically said that you're invited for an interview and gave you credentials to log in and schedule your interview date/time. I'm not directly out of college; I graduated in 2020 and have been working as a lab tech since

I just received an email this morning saying my application "will be reviewed for interview potential this month." Since interview invites have been sent out already, I'm not sure what to make out of that email.  

Just got an interview from UPenn CAMB today! I applied for Genetics and Epigenetics but not sure if that makes a difference in terms of when they are sending interview invites.

Applied (11): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, University of Virginia BIMS, Columbia CMBS, UChicago Molecular Biosciences, Boston University PiBS, UPenn CAMB, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Northwestern DGP, Tufts GSBS, NYU Vilcek, Jefferson GGCB

Interview (3): UNC BBSP (12/4), UVA BIMS (12/14), UPenn CAMB (12/15)

Rejected: 

Accepted:

Hi! Introducing myself since I’ve been rotting my brain on this website for the past week. I managed to avoid it during the whole application process but now I cannot get off the forums... lol ?

Graduated in 2020 from small well-regarded liberal arts college w/ 3.74, doing immunology/virology and compound discovery research at a university since then. Applying to gene therapy and pharmacology tracks at mostly umbrella programs. 

BA in biology, 7 publications (2x second-author, 4x middle-author, 1x acknowledged author; of those 7: 3x published in high impact journals; 2x pre-prints, 2x under editorial consideration). 3 recs - my undergrad advisor, my undergrad professor, and my current PI. Definitely did not take the GRE. 

Quite a bit of research experience during undergrad and post-grad. No conferences or anything like that but I did a lot of presentations on my independent research projects during my undergrad career. I did my undergraduate thesis on gene regulation and found some cool new stuff. I also applied for the NSF GRFP which a lot of apps asked about.. idk how much that helps my app but I did mention it in most of mine!  

Currently wondering about Columbia CMBS program.. I saw people got interviews today! Congrats! :^) Does anyone know if Columbia sends them all out on one day? Should I assume rejection or maintain hope... it turns out waiting for decisions is far more stressful than the actual application process (at least for me).. Good luck to everyone!!! 

Applied (9): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, Duke UPGG, UPenn CAMB, Columbia CMBS, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Rockefeller, UCSD BMS, UC Berkeley MCB, UWashington MCB

Interviews (3): UNC BBSP (12/4), Duke UPGG (12/8), UPenn CAMB (12/14)

Rejected: -

Accepted: -

Edited by sarscov3
forgot to add UWash program

2 hours ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Is it worthy to e-mail admissions regarding application status at this moment? My status hasn't changed from "Submitted". Will they give any additional information like - under review / rejected / waitlist?

Personally, I wouldn't... while waiting sucks (and it very much does) we know thats part of the application process and I think emailing would just bother them and annoy them.  My family always says it just shows impatience.  Solidarity though, this has been the most anxious week of my life

Just now, zip7 said:

Personally, I wouldn't... while waiting sucks (and it very much does) we know thats part of the application process and I think emailing would just bother them and annoy them.  My family always says it just shows impatience.  Solidarity though, this has been the most anxious week of my life

Got it. Thank you!!

Anyone heard from Weill Cornell IMP? My friend just got an interview invite yesterday but I haven't heard anything. Not sure if they send out invites in waves or all at once?

I haven't heard from anywhere yet. Judging from last year's interview invite dates, a lot of my programs might not be sending invites until Jan, but even knowing that, I'm just about tearing my hair out over here with the waiting. I am seriously stressed about the possibility that I won't get in anywhere! I just keep reminding myself that it's still super early for decisions from Dec 1 deadline apps, but this vague, drawn out timeline is really making me antsy. 

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a while. I'd like to hopefully stay off of here while I wait for January to arrive so I don't get so anxious waiting for emails haha. 

I applied to 11 schools: UCB IDI, UCSD Biology, UCLA Bioscience, UCI CMB, UC Davis Microbiology, UW Microbiology, OHSU PBMS, Vanderbilt IGP, Johns Hopkins MMI, BU PiBS, UPenn CAMB

I have some research experience during undergrad and post-grad. CREST Fellow + McNair Scholar + NIH-PREP Scholar. I do have a publication. 

I'm a nontraditional student going from community college to 4-yr university. Low GPA due to personal circumstances + COVID effects. First-gen minority. 

I think my LORs are strong and advocate for me. I'm very well-rounded and have had lots of leadership experience in extracurriculars and leadership programs. 

I prefer in-person interviews to written applications because I feel like I do much better when I'm talking than writing but I guess this is how graduate schools weed us out lol :( 

Hope to come back to this thread with cheerful updates :) Good luck everyone!

56 minutes ago, orbit said:

Anyone heard from Weill Cornell IMP? My friend just got an interview invite yesterday but I haven't heard anything. Not sure if they send out invites in waves or all at once?

I haven't heard from anywhere yet. Judging from last year's interview invite dates, a lot of my programs might not be sending invites until Jan, but even knowing that, I'm just about tearing my hair out over here with the waiting. I am seriously stressed about the possibility that I won't get in anywhere! I just keep reminding myself that it's still super early for decisions from Dec 1 deadline apps, but this vague, drawn out timeline is really making me antsy. 

Hang in there! It is competitive but you have a solid profile! Good luck! 

I have just received an interview invite to Van Andel Institute's Molecular and Cellular Biology PhD Program. I don't think I have seen anyone else say that they have also applied here, but I can share some details for silent or future applicants. It looks like they have 3 Fridays set aside for in-person interviews in January and February. They are inviting up to 8 applicants to each interview session to keep groups small/Covid restrictions. At the interviews, we meet the Dean, some faculty of interest, students, and director of student support...

So thankful for good news. Best of luck everyone