Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

19 minutes ago, stemcellenthusiast said:

My coworker also received an invitation today from Yale MCGD. I think they are sending them slowly this year!

Oh geez alrighty! Will keep a lookout for the email if it comes!!

Anyone know how the "priority deadline" for UNC BBSP works? I've seen a few posts where people have applied by priority deadline and have started to receive interview invites. I'm not sure if it depends what program you listed as first choice, but I have only seen a few programs like neuroscience listed. Have all priority invites for all the BBSP programs been sent out?

1 hour ago, undergradtograd said:

Anyone know how the "priority deadline" for UNC BBSP works? I've seen a few posts where people have applied by priority deadline and have started to receive interview invites. I'm not sure if it depends what program you listed as first choice, but I have only seen a few programs like neuroscience listed. Have all priority invites for all the BBSP programs been sent out?

I also applied priority and haven't received an interview invite

hello hello

I applied to Jefferson IMP, UPenn Pharmacology, Temple BMS, Drexel MI, and Mt. Sinai BMS (all programs all under a Biomedical Science umbrella program). Haven't heard back about interviews yet and am starting to get really antsy... I've also been feeling discouraged throughout the process bc my undergrad GPA was very low. I feel that I've made up for it with my extensive research experience and taking classes as a post-bac but honestly who in the heck knows

3 hours ago, rainbowsprimkle said:

hello hello

I applied to Jefferson IMP, UPenn Pharmacology, Temple BMS, Drexel MI, and Mt. Sinai BMS (all programs all under a Biomedical Science umbrella program). Haven't heard back about interviews yet and am starting to get really antsy... I've also been feeling discouraged throughout the process bc my undergrad GPA was very low. I feel that I've made up for it with my extensive research experience and taking classes as a post-bac but honestly who in the heck knows

What's your profile like if you don't mind sharing? And good luck to you!!

4 minutes ago, TangentTam said:

Has Yale pushed out the interview of immunology program???? I didn't get anything god!!!

Not sure about immuno. I applied to the MCGD track and haven't received any emails from them.

7 hours ago, MediaMonkey said:

Just recieved my first interview invite and its the University of Michigan Chemical Biology program (I did not apply to pibs). Interview is virtual, Jan 5th -Jan 8th.

Congrats! Do you know if they send them out on waves or one at once?

I also applied to this program but I am International student 

Hi Dreamer14!

I don't know how UofM Chem Bio is doing it this year. They didn't specify if there would be other weekends but I think in the past they did it in waves. 

I feel like Jan 5th is super early and I would be surprised if they didn't have additional weekends and more invites later.

14 hours ago, shuaizh117 said:

What's your profile like if you don't mind sharing? And good luck to you!!

Sure, I'll need all the luck I can get!

• Undergrad: BS Biological Science from mid-tier state university (3.0 GPA)
  • Graduate: Post-bac 1 yr taking graduate science courses (4.0)
  • Research: 1 semester undergrad in pharmacology lab, 3 years as a full-time research technician post-grad in immunology/neurovirology lab
  • Publications: 1 mid-author paper submitted, several mid-author papers in review 
  • Presentations: N/A
  • Background: 25F White and Chinese, first-gen graduate student and first time applying to phd programs! While my undergrad GPA will definitely be my downfall, I have solid LORs (1 current PI, 1 previous PI, 1 current post-bac prof) and personal statements were carefully crafted to show honesty and passion. No GRE. 

hi everyone!

A question for anyone else who applied to Tufts GSBS: I submitted my app on Nov 29 for the Dec 1 deadline. While stalking the admissions website, though, it says "rolling admissions"-- does that just mean the same thing that it means at most programs? As in, they start reviewing applications after the Dec 1 priority deadline and admit on a rolling basis? or does it mean that they review apps as they're submitted and have been admitting for months? if it's the latter, I'm probably kinda screwed ?? I couldn't find any other details, and I didn't see any gradcafe posts of people getting in, so I have hope?? but I'm kinda freaking out about it

oh also! places I applied/my profile:

I applied to:

Tufts GSBS (Immunology), Harvard Immunology, MIT Biology, NYU Vilcek/Immunology & Inflammation, Weill Cornell IMP, Johns Hopkins Immunology

my profile:

- 1 year full time in biopharma industry, plus 1.5 years working full time in a prominent Harvard immunology lab (1 publication from this, but I'm in the middle of the author list). couple months of research in undergrad that didn't result in publication bc of covid, but my undergrad PI mentioned that in his rec letter.

- 3 strong LORs from (1) prof I did research with in undergrad, (2) my boss from pharma job, and (3) my PI at HMS immunology (this one is definitely the single biggest boost to my app, my PI is an immunology celebrity and I'm really lucky to be working here!!)

- 3.70 undergrad gpa

I applied to really competitive programs, so I'm pretty nervous that I won't get in anywhere despite what I feel is a decent application ? so if that happens I guess I'll just try again next year!

Edited by orbit

4 minutes ago, orbit said:

oh also! places I applied/my profile:

I applied to:

Tufts GSBS (Immunology), Harvard Immunology, MIT Biology, NYU Vilcek/Immunology & Inflammation, Weill Cornell IMP, Johns Hopkins Immunology

my profile:

- 1 year full time in biopharma industry, plus 1.5 years working full time in a prominent Harvard immunology lab (1 publication from this, but I'm in the middle of the author list). couple months of research in undergrad that didn't result in publication bc of covid, but my undergrad PI mentioned that in his rec letter.

- 3 strong LORs from (1) prof I did research with in undergrad, (2) my boss from pharma job, and (3) my PI at HMS immunology (this one is definitely the single biggest boost to my app, my PI is an immunology celebrity and I'm really lucky to be working here!!)

- 3.70 undergrad gpa

I applied to really competitive programs, so I'm pretty nervous that I won't get in anywhere despite what I feel is a decent application ? so if that happens I guess I'll just try again next year!

Good profile! Which Harvard lab do you work at? Who's your PI?

29 minutes ago, orbit said:

hi everyone!

A question for anyone else who applied to Tufts GSBS: I submitted my app on Nov 29 for the Dec 1 deadline. While stalking the admissions website, though, it says "rolling admissions"-- does that just mean the same thing that it means at most programs? As in, they start reviewing applications after the Dec 1 priority deadline and admit on a rolling basis? or does it mean that they review apps as they're submitted and have been admitting for months? if it's the latter, I'm probably kinda screwed ?? I couldn't find any other details, and I didn't see any gradcafe posts of people getting in, so I have hope?? but I'm kinda freaking out about it

I submitted my Tufts GSBS application on 11/27 and was wondering about the process too. All I was able to find was that they do interviews Jan through March, and previous interview invites went out the week of Dec 20 last cycle(s), so I think they start reviewing on Dec 1 but you can submit past then.

52 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Can anyone explain how the portal status changes if we are invited? Right now it just says "Submitted". Will it change if our applications are reviewed?

My portals for the two schools I received invites from both still say "Under Review" so I think it's different at each place. Last year, when I applied to Iowa State Biochemistry, it said "Decision Made" or something similar 

Edited by MindyMermaid