Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

1 minute ago, MindyMermaid said:

I submitted my Tufts GSBS application on 11/27 and was wondering about the process too. All I was able to find was that they do interviews Jan through March, and previous interview invites went out the week of Dec 20 last cycle(s), so I think they start reviewing on Dec 1 but you can submit past then.

ooh nice I didn't know about the invite dates from previous cycles, thanks!
I actually just found thishttps://gsbs.tufts.edu/admissions/degreePrograms/reviewProcess which confirms your thought-- they say "After the application deadline has passed, each program reviews all complete applications." So I feel better about it now. Good luck, hope we hear back soon!

1 minute ago, orbit said:

ooh nice I didn't know about the invite dates from previous cycles, thanks!
I actually just found thishttps://gsbs.tufts.edu/admissions/degreePrograms/reviewProcess which confirms your thought-- they say "After the application deadline has passed, each program reviews all complete applications." So I feel better about it now. Good luck, hope we hear back soon!

Sweet! Thank you, best of luck to you as well. 

10 minutes ago, orbit said:

the Sharpe Lab, so my PI is the chair of immunology. but I still don't really expect to get into Harvard immunology just because it's SO selective... I probably should have applied to BBS too lol

Ah! Nice. I applied to BBS. My app is mainly supported by Harvard chair of medicine. Fingers crossed both of us.

2 hours ago, MediaMonkey said:

Hi Dreamer14!

I don't know how UofM Chem Bio is doing it this year. They didn't specify if there would be other weekends but I think in the past they did it in waves. 

I feel like Jan 5th is super early and I would be surprised if they didn't have additional weekends and more invites later.

oh okay, thank you for your reply!

good luck on your interview!

Hi everyone,

I also have applied to UNC BBSP, JHU chemistry, BU iPBS, Columbia Chem.,Vanderbilt Chem, UChicago, Duke, and northwestern Chem. I have not received any invitations of any sort but, I didn’t apply priority anywhere either. 
AS SAN Diego City College  Chem 3.8

BS UC San Diego Chem. 2.7

MS Chem. 3.5

research about 3 years full time and 9 months part time

3 publications with two of being a first coauthor 

3 years of teaching experience 

I will let you guys know if I get in anywhere. Good luck everyone! 

Hi everyone! I applied to Pitt Molecular & Cellular, Boston University Molecular & Cellular, Boston University PiBS, University of Cincinnati Molgen, Brandeis Molecular and Cellular, UW MCB, Vanderbilt IGP, and Harvard BBS.

3.9 GPA from small liberal arts college (currently a senior) and 1 first author bioinformatics type pub but only about <1 year of bench research experience in a small undergrad lab (covid + small school = not much opportunity :| ) so I am feeling pretty nervous ? but I was contacted for an interview from Brandeis so I'm stoked about that!!

5 hours ago, rainbowsprimkle said:

Sure, I'll need all the luck I can get!

• Undergrad: BS Biological Science from mid-tier state university (3.0 GPA)
  • Graduate: Post-bac 1 yr taking graduate science courses (4.0)
  • Research: 1 semester undergrad in pharmacology lab, 3 years as a full-time research technician post-grad in immunology/neurovirology lab
  • Publications: 1 mid-author paper submitted, several mid-author papers in review 
  • Presentations: N/A
  • Background: 25F White and Chinese, first-gen graduate student and first time applying to phd programs! While my undergrad GPA will definitely be my downfall, I have solid LORs (1 current PI, 1 previous PI, 1 current post-bac prof) and personal statements were carefully crafted to show honesty and passion. No GRE. 

My undergrad GPA is about the same and not to mention I am an international applicant! I think you'll have a pretty good chance as long as you drafted a strong PS with clear thoughts about your research experience, what you want, and what made you realize it is time to get a PhD at current stage!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to give an update of my applications and my background.

Undergrad: BS Biological Sciences from mid-tier state school (3.88 GPA), very minimal lab experience (~1 yr, just basic tissue culture)

Research: Currently in a 1-yr NIH PREP program doing full time research in a cell biology/epigenetics lab (also taking a graduate cell biology course through the program)

No publications or poster presentations

3-4 decent LORs? I'm not sure if any were particularly strong but I waived my right to read so who knows

I think I have a strong GPA and even though I lack research experience in terms of time, I think my work now in this post-bacc program is pretty intensive and makes up for it. But I am nervous about not having any publications, posters, conference presentations, etc.

Applied (11): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, University of Virginia BIMS, Columbia CMBS, UChicago Molecular Biosciences, Boston University PiBS, UPenn CAMB, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Northwestern DGP, Tufts GSBS, NYU Vilcek, Jefferson GGCB

Interview (2): UNC BBSP (12/4), UVA BIMS (12/14)

Rejected: 

Accepted:

Hi! 

I applied to UVA BIMS, Mayo Clinic Biochem, Johns Hopkins Biochem, UC Davis Biochem, UC Berkeley Comparative Biochem, and VCU Biochem. Got an interview from UVA today!

I have a 3.98 GPA and will have ~2 years of research experience when I graduate this may. I have one really good LOR and 2 good to decent ones. However, I don't have any publications, posters, etc. so I'm pretty worried about my chances this time. 

@undergradtograd I was also getting worried about UNC especially since I applied by the priority deadline so I emailed yesterday and they said they didn't finish reviewing all applications they got, they expect to have all invites sent out by early January. So there is still hope I guess

1 hour ago, m114rh.02 said:

Hi everyone! I just wanted to give an update of my applications and my background.

Undergrad: BS Biological Sciences from mid-tier state school (3.88 GPA), very minimal lab experience (~1 yr, just basic tissue culture)

Research: Currently in a 1-yr NIH PREP program doing full time research in a cell biology/epigenetics lab (also taking a graduate cell biology course through the program)

No publications or poster presentations

3-4 decent LORs? I'm not sure if any were particularly strong but I waived my right to read so who knows

I think I have a strong GPA and even though I lack research experience in terms of time, I think my work now in this post-bacc program is pretty intensive and makes up for it. But I am nervous about not having any publications, posters, conference presentations, etc.

Applied (11): UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, University of Virginia BIMS, Columbia CMBS, UChicago Molecular Biosciences, Boston University PiBS, UPenn CAMB, Mt. Sinai Biomedical Sciences, Northwestern DGP, Tufts GSBS, NYU Vilcek, Jefferson GGCB

Interview (2): UNC BBSP (12/4), UVA BIMS (12/14)

Rejected: 

Accepted:

Hi, I also applied to UVA BIMS, could you tell us the time of interview of UVA BIMS? I haven't receive any response from this school.  Does it will give you a list of interviewees?

1 hour ago, science.cow said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if schools do multiple rounds of interview offers? Do they send out more invitations depending on the number of responses they get? 

It really depends on programs, some like UNC BBSP, Vandy IGP, etc. do waves, but some program like Harvard BBS will send all interview invitations out at one time. Good luck!! 

1 hour ago, smilexx said:

Hi, I also applied to UVA BIMS, could you tell us the time of interview of UVA BIMS? I haven't receive any response from this school.  Does it will give you a list of interviewees?

Hi! I know you asked someone else this question but for me, they said it's a two day virtual interview. So it begins at 1:00 pm on the first day with an introductory thing and then one on one faculty interviews begin at 3:00 and go to 5:30 pm. Then, they pick up the next day at 10.30 am again. They asked for my top faculty picks and I assume they'll send me which ones they schedule later. Hope this helped!!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to add my profile and applications too.

Undergrad: BS Molecular Genetics, BA Chemistry from small private top research university (3.91 GPA), almost 2 years lab experience. Graduating in May.

Research: Currently working part time in an Aging/Genetics lab since July 2020. This past summer worked full time on a student-run project in a team of undergrads. Experience in orgo research for 6 months during sophomore year.

No publications or poster presentations:(

3 decent/strong LORs 2 of them likely strong from previous PIs, 3rd one from a professor for a graduate course

Applied (10) - UNC Chapel Hill BBSP, Stanford Biosciences (Molecular and Cellular Physiology), UChicago Pritzker School of Molec Engineering, UCSF Tetrad, Vanderbilt IGP, University of Washington MCB, Harvard BBS, MIT Biology, UT Austin Cell and Molecular Biology, Yale BBSP MCGD Track

Interview: 

Rejected: Yale BBSP

Accepted:

Edited by proteinaggftw

Hey folks,

Here’s my profile - lmk if you have any questions.

I’m a non-traditional student, I was pre-med/pre-health but shifted to pursue research after Masters. I applied for PhD programs at schools with strong cancer therapeutics research.

Undergrad: 3.37 GPA, attended community college and transferred to tiny liberal arts college, lots of volunteering/teaching but not a ton of research

Masters: 3.81 GPA, dedicated full time research for thesis completed at well-known research institution

Research Experience: research in grad school (full time viral oncology wet lab research for thesis, and part time cardio dry lab research), 2.5 years in biotech working in discovery for gene therapy and cancer therapeutics. Almost 5 years of full time research experience.

Pubs: 1 middle-author in textbook chapter, middle-author in abstract

Other Notes: Three letters - one from Master thesis Advisor/head of dept, one from former research supervisor at biotech, dept director at current company.

Schools - 14 total: Icahn BMS, GSK, UPenn CAMB, Uchicago Biosciences, MD Anderson, Duke MCB, Case Western Lerner Molecular Medicine, NIH-OxCam, UCSF BMS, UCSD BMS, Harvard BBS, UMass Med Cancer Bio PhD, Pitt Microbiology/Immunology, UW-Fred Hutch MCB

Interviews+Date: Pitt (applied 11/30, II on 12/3, scheduled 1/21)

Acceptances:

Rejections:

It means a school wants to learn more about you, and are considering you for a seat in their program. To my knowledge, the only way to get into a PhD program is to apply and then attend interviews when you’re invited.

I hope this answers your question. Also, check your spam box regularly so that you don’t miss any updates for interviews.

Edited by Basicbrology

12 hours ago, NerdyNalin said:

Hi! I know you asked someone else this question but for me, they said it's a two day virtual interview. So it begins at 1:00 pm on the first day with an introductory thing and then one on one faculty interviews begin at 3:00 and go to 5:30 pm. Then, they pick up the next day at 10.30 am again. They asked for my top faculty picks and I assume they'll send me which ones they schedule later. Hope this helped!!

Thank you! Best of luck!