2022 Applicants

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Woke up two acceptances this morning! Two emails at once--I honestly thought I was dreaming. I am an international student and unfortunately most decisions go out when I am sleeping. Sleeping is so hard these days. When I woke up at around 4 AM I pretty much thought it was a dream... That was strange too because (my)dreams are never this nice ?I am still trying to reckon if it is true or if something went really wrong and the acceptances ended up in my mailbox--haven't told anyone at home.

I got a pretty nice acceptance mail from UConn's DGS (midnight mail) but didn't know how to put it up on the dashboard. Yet to hear from 7 places... I used two different proposals for the two schools but drew heavily on narrative ethics and the philosophy of time for both (post-1945 visual-verbal texts).

I hope we all have something to validate our efforts and anxieties by the end of this cycle! :)

YES! Congratulations! ???? I’m genuinely so happy for you! I hope you get some sleep tonight! 

37 minutes ago, theonewiththepies said:

Has anyone else heard anything from the University of Washington? I saw one acceptance on the results page today

My phone won't let me click the "Submit Results" tab so I haven't been able to submit my own result yet, but I got an email stating I had been put on the Waitlist. I applied for the Language & Rhetoric track. The email said 4% of applicants were admitted. This is my dream program so I am really hoping that I get in eventually!

53 minutes ago, theonewiththepies said:

Has anyone else heard anything from the University of Washington? I saw one acceptance on the results page today

Saw the acceptances on the Results page and then got so excited when I saw an email from the school — only to find a rejection. Stings a bit, but on to the next!

4 hours ago, OperaGhost said:

Got off the phone with a university I was admitted to, and now I'm feeling a little deflated.  In my admittance email they mentioned that they had nominated me for a fellowship for my first year but i was just notified I didn't get one even though 12 other people apparently did.

My cycle started off nice, but between this and the UT Austin rejection, I'm scared that was a fluke and that I'll be rejected to the rest of the schools I applied to :(

(I know i'm probably being a lil melodramatic, but the month of February really has been the pits)

First off--CONGRATS ON THE ADMIT!! That's great! I'm sorry you didn't get the fellowship (especially if it would've made a big financial difference). i totally understand the fear, but remember in the end you can only attend 1 place anyways! plus, decision committees are so independent of one another, a rejection from one place really doesn't mean a rejection from another (which i understand can be hard to believe when we're in the middle of it). so don't stress/ get too down on yourself about hypothetical rejections you haven't recieved yet :) probably the most productive and comforting thing to do is think through your options and make sure you have contingency plans? like scouting out potential jobs if this cycle doesn't pan out? best of luck!! 

1 hour ago, so-it-goes said:

First off--CONGRATS ON THE ADMIT!! That's great! I'm sorry you didn't get the fellowship (especially if it would've made a big financial difference). i totally understand the fear, but remember in the end you can only attend 1 place anyways! plus, decision committees are so independent of one another, a rejection from one place really doesn't mean a rejection from another (which i understand can be hard to believe when we're in the middle of it). so don't stress/ get too down on yourself about hypothetical rejections you haven't recieved yet :) probably the most productive and comforting thing to do is think through your options and make sure you have contingency plans? like scouting out potential jobs if this cycle doesn't pan out? best of luck!! 

Aw thank you! This was a really sweet message to get on a very brain-scattered day. These application cycles really are a killer for all us perfectionists who feed off academic validation (presumably everyone who applies to grad school lmao), but it's important to keep in mind that getting into Every program is not the goal (and definitely not a feasible goal). 

Best of luck to you, and to everyone reading this! I hope we all get into a program that we love and that loves us (by giving a fat funding package ayo) 

Edited by OperaGhost

6 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Woke up two acceptances this morning! Two emails at once--I honestly thought I was dreaming. I am an international student and unfortunately most decisions go out when I am sleeping. Sleeping is so hard these days. When I woke up at around 4 AM I pretty much thought it was a dream... That was strange too because (my)dreams are never this nice ?I am still trying to reckon if it is true or if something went really wrong and the acceptances ended up in my mailbox--haven't told anyone at home.

I got a pretty nice acceptance mail from UConn's DGS (midnight mail) but didn't know how to put it up on the dashboard. Yet to hear from 7 places... I used two different proposals for the two schools but drew heavily on narrative ethics and the philosophy of time for both (post-1945 visual-verbal texts).

I hope we all have something to validate our efforts and anxieties by the end of this cycle! :)

congratulations!!! just curious: what was the second acceptance? also, your research sounds really interesting!

Edited by plainblacktights

7 hours ago, Hard times! said:

CONGRATULATIONS!! As a fellow international student, I just relate so much to the anxieties of sleeping and waking up. I've been lurking on this forum but just wanna say thank you for leading such a supportive presence here! So ?happy? for you!!

2 hours ago, plainblacktights said:

congratulations!!! just curious: what was the second acceptance? also, your research sounds really interesting!

Oh yeah sure! Rochester. My 'research' (if you can call it that) is a cross between comics/picturebooks and broadly, the philosophy of time (drawing both on phenomenology and action theory...). If I knew philsophy well enough I would have applied to a couple of philosophy departments. 

Edited by Hard times!

1 hour ago, aerialxav said:

CONGRATULATIONS!! As a fellow international student, I just relate so much to the anxieties of sleeping and waking up. I've been lurking on this forum but just wanna say thank you for leading such a supportive presence here! So ?happy? for you!!

Many thanks! This whole season is so stressful that at the end of it you realise what it is like to be stripped of all the basics (food, sleep..., forget grad school and research). You wish if only you could sleep and eat! Have you found some respite yet? 

Edited by Hard times!

2 hours ago, OperaGhost said:

Aw thank you! This was a really sweet message to get on a very brain-scattered day. These application cycles really are a killer for all us perfectionists who feed off academic validation (presumably everyone who applies to grad school lmao), but it's important to keep in mind that getting into Every program is not the goal (and definitely not a feasible goal). 

Best of luck to you, and to everyone reading this! I hope we all get into a program that we love and that loves us (by giving a fat funding package ayo) 

Oh yes, 'feeding off academic validation'--that defines this whole process! Without that validation we feel like our whole existence is invalidated which honestly is so delusional and yet, for all the world, we can only see grad school! And seeing some people on the dashboard with 6 acceptances and no rejections doesn't help at all ?

Edited by Hard times!

18 hours ago, Hard times! said:

I told you. :) I knew you’d be posting an acceptance soon. Congratulations, friend. I hope you can sleep easier at night knowing not only that you’re going to grad school but that you also have a choice! If you’re comfortable sharing, what is the second school?

25 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

A couple people posted waitlists for Boulder. I'll start anticipating my rejection email :)

Same! I've been trying to figure out the pattern from past years. It looks like they sometimes send out the waitlists first but I hope we get more answers today so we don't have to wait for next week!!

19 hours ago, zetasp said:

Sooo I saw a bunch of Cornell rejections today, and I still don't have one, which is leading me to be very cautiously hopeful that maybe I'm on the waitlist. What are the odds of that? Anyone else in this weird liminal space? ?

Same boat :/. Not sure if clerical error or soft wait list or what? Hopeful but scared lol

I was just accepted into another funded program and am now at 3a/1w/2p! Forgive me for not saying which school - it's really small, not famous or ivy league, and in the middle of nowhere. Also I have a phone call with them next week and I'm sweating already!

No rejections yet (still feels unreal after all rejections last year), although my dream school, UIUC, is definitely an implied rejection at this point. Would be wacky to get in everywhere except there, which also has the largest cohort (i think?) and personally the best fit with my research+POIs. Well, a girl can dream!