2022 Applicants

On 2/17/2022 at 2:07 PM, Hard times! said:

Woke up two acceptances this morning! Two emails at once--I honestly thought I was dreaming. I am an international student and unfortunately most decisions go out when I am sleeping. Sleeping is so hard these days. When I woke up at around 4 AM I pretty much thought it was a dream... That was strange too because (my)dreams are never this nice ?I am still trying to reckon if it is true or if something went really wrong and the acceptances ended up in my mailbox--haven't told anyone at home.

I got a pretty nice acceptance mail from UConn's DGS (midnight mail) but didn't know how to put it up on the dashboard. Yet to hear from 7 places... I used two different proposals for the two schools but drew heavily on narrative ethics and the philosophy of time for both (post-1945 visual-verbal texts).

I hope we all have something to validate our efforts and anxieties by the end of this cycle! :)

Awesome! Congratulations! This is great to hear.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:37 AM, Hard times! said:

Woke up two acceptances this morning! Two emails at once--I honestly thought I was dreaming. I am an international student and unfortunately most decisions go out when I am sleeping. Sleeping is so hard these days. When I woke up at around 4 AM I pretty much thought it was a dream... That was strange too because (my)dreams are never this nice ?I am still trying to reckon if it is true or if something went really wrong and the acceptances ended up in my mailbox--haven't told anyone at home.

I got a pretty nice acceptance mail from UConn's DGS (midnight mail) but didn't know how to put it up on the dashboard. Yet to hear from 7 places... I used two different proposals for the two schools but drew heavily on narrative ethics and the philosophy of time for both (post-1945 visual-verbal texts).

I hope we all have something to validate our efforts and anxieties by the end of this cycle! :)

This is anazing, I am so happy to hear this! Congratulations! UConn is wonderful, I had some friends from there during my undergraduate years - much nicer than the snooty types at my CT LAC :) And Connecticut is beautiful, too. Crossing my fingers for the rest of your results!

18 hours ago, Shake829 said:

I told you. :) I knew you’d be posting an acceptance soon. Congratulations, friend. I hope you can sleep easier at night knowing not only that you’re going to grad school but that you also have a choice! If you’re comfortable sharing, what is the second school?

Rochester. It's a good fit but I am still waiting to hear from my top choices... if at all. Though I am relieved. How about you?

57 minutes ago, Submarina said:

This is anazing, I am so happy to hear this! Congratulations! UConn is wonderful, I had some friends from there during my undergraduate years - much nicer than the snooty types at my CT LAC :) And Connecticut is beautiful, too. Crossing my fingers for the rest of your results!

I thought I would have a dramatic response but nothing at all. Just some relief!

How spoilt are you for choices? :D I mean have you had anything other than acceptances so far? Haha!

Btw, anything on Northeastern? Have they sent out acceptances and rejections already? I didn't see much on the dashboard except a couple of invites (also interviews I assume?)--NE is a top choice though only one person does comics in the whole department which is Hillary Chute. But then again she kind of made comics academic enough in the US... I know it's a redflag to not have an invite or interview but knowing for certain would make things easier.

If interviews have gone out for a school and you haven't received one, is that pretty much a guaranteed reject? I keep flipping back and forth between feeling hopeless about some schools and holding onto a little glimmer ? Still waiting to hear from 5 places, but at least 3 of them I've seen posts on the board about interviews or recruitment events, so I'm starting to feel a shutout creeping closer... 

22 minutes ago, katerinas said:

If interviews have gone out for a school and you haven't received one, is that pretty much a guaranteed reject? I keep flipping back and forth between feeling hopeless about some schools and holding onto a little glimmer ? Still waiting to hear from 5 places, but at least 3 of them I've seen posts on the board about interviews or recruitment events, so I'm starting to feel a shutout creeping closer... 

I have no idea really. I am international student and the US system is completely different from ours which is quite similar to the UK system... In the US, it seems some universities do interviews selectively: for some subfields or for some people. Sometimes they interview everyone. Pretty erratic in their patterns! From what I have heard (and I have only heard things) Northeastern always does interviews. So does Notre Dame. Not receiving an invite is not a good sign if the school you have applied to has been doing interviews historically... if only they were more transparent about the whole process!

Edited by Hard times!

• Warelin changed the title to 2022 Applicants
9 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Btw, anything on Northeastern? Have they sent out acceptances and rejections already? I didn't see much on the dashboard except a couple of invites (also interviews I assume?)--NE is a top choice though only one person does comics in the whole department which is Hillary Chute. But then again she kind of made comics academic enough in the US... I know it's a redflag to not have an invite or interview but knowing for certain would make things easier.

I reached out about a week ago to ask about the random open house invitation that I got. It ended up being nothing, but I was told that they are still very much reviewing applications and hope to finalize decisions in the next few weeks. I agree that not getting the interview invite is a red flag, but I didn’t receive one and was told that applications were still under review. I guess what I’m saying is that they didn’t tell me that I was rejected. I would expect that they might say “You’re not on our shortlist, so unfortunately, you were not accepted” if the interview was a definite short-list mechanism. So, maybe not getting the invite doesn’t imply rejection? 

16 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Rochester. It's a good fit but I am still waiting to hear from my top choices... if at all. Though I am relieved. How about you?

Nothing yet for me! Only the CUNY waitlist. I’ve heard nothing at all since then, and I’m still waiting to hear from many places. Did CUNY ever update you?

2 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Nothing yet for me! Only the CUNY waitlist. I’ve heard nothing at all since then, and I’m still waiting to hear from many places. Did CUNY ever update you?

Haha yes, sure! Rejection. I knew by then. 

I wish you get some updates soon so that you feel relieved :)

2 hours ago, Shake829 said:

I reached out about a week ago to ask about the random open house invitation that I got. It ended up being nothing, but I was told that they are still very much reviewing applications and hope to finalize decisions in the next few weeks. I agree that not getting the interview invite is a red flag, but I didn’t receive one and was told that applications were still under review. I guess what I’m saying is that they didn’t tell me that I was rejected. I would expect that they might say “You’re not on our shortlist, so unfortunately, you were not accepted” if the interview was a definite short-list mechanism. So, maybe not getting the invite doesn’t imply rejection? 

I am not sure if schools or graduate coordinators say outright that one is rejected. Unless you are talking to the Chair, it is unlikely, I believe, for anyone else to say that you are out of the game... People who are currently at Northeastern agree that they do interviews customarily. But who knows! 

Can anyone claim the Penn State Comp lit acceptances or rejections on the result board?

Did my interview with them in late Jan (and saw a few other people posted interview invites around the same time), when they told me it would take them two weeks to make decisions but it's been a whole month and radio silence... I saw someone said they're admitting 6 out of 21 interviewed; do any of you have info on possible waitlist or if all the offers have gone out, etc?

Any info would help, thanks!

Edited by alixxy

On 2/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, Hard times! said:

I thought I would have a dramatic response but nothing at all. Just some relief!

How spoilt are you for choices? :D I mean have you had anything other than acceptances so far? Haha!

A little spoilt - I have JHU, Brown, Cornell and Austin. Rejections from Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, UChicago - all of which I'd have preferred, but happy w/Cornell. Have yet to hear from Columbia, but likely rejected since I didn't get an interview. Also likely rejected at Irvine. WLd at CUNY.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got more acceptances :) Excited!

1 hour ago, alixxy said:

Can anyone claim the Penn State Comp lit acceptances and/or rejections on the result board?

Did my interview with them in late Jan (and saw a few other people posted interview invites that around the same time), when they told me it would take them two weeks to make decisions but it's been a whole month and radio silence... I saw someone said they're admitting 6 out of 21 interviewed; do any of you have info on possible waitlist or if all the offers have gone out, etc?

Any info would help, thanks!

Hi there, I interviewed with them in late Jan as well and got rejected 2 days ago (an informal email from the DGS; unfortunately she had Omicron so the admission process has been slowed down). I might be wrong, but my impression is that all the acceptances and rejections have gone out at this point. If you haven't heard anything from them, then you're probably on a waitlist. It never hurts to email the DGS or the grad program coordinator to confirm. Gook luck! 

12 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Haha yes, sure! Rejection. I knew by then. 

I wish you get some updates soon so that you feel relieved :)

I am not sure if schools or graduate coordinators say outright that one is rejected. Unless you are talking to the Chair, it is unlikely, I believe, for anyone else to say that you are out of the game... People who are currently at Northeastern agree that they do interviews customarily. But who knows! 

I first reached out to the director of graduate studies. She answered my message that evening and said that she didn’t know anything about the open house and that applications were still in review, and that she hoped decisions would be out in the next few weeks. She then CC’d the coordinator to see if she had any info about the open house. The coordinator said that the open house was nothing but also said the same thing: applications are still in review. 

Could just be the DGS not wanting to release a decision early via email, but who knows! I crossed them off my list a while back when those interviews started going out, so I’d be surprised if anything happens.

A lot of the people getting into CUNY seem to be getting other offers, so I’m hoping my spot on the waitlist is up soon—staying positive!

34 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

Hi there, I interviewed with them in late Jan as well and got rejected 2 days ago (an informal email from the DGS; unfortunately she had Omicron so the admission process has been slowed down). I might be wrong, but my impression is that all the acceptances and rejections have gone out at this point. If you haven't heard anything from them, then you're probably on a waitlist. It never hurts to email the DGS or the grad program coordinator to confirm. Gook luck! 

Thank you! That does explain the delay; hope she's doing better, I will try reaching out to them in a few days. And sorry about the rejection, I hope you have better news from other programs. All this waiting is really driving me insane!

22 minutes ago, alixxy said:

Thank you! That does explain the delay; hope she's doing better, I will try reaching out to them in a few days. And sorry about the rejection, I hope you have better news from other programs. All this waiting is really driving me insane!

Thanks! I have several offers at hand so the rejection doesn't really sting. :) Hope you get some good news from them! 

Hey everyone! It makes me so happy to see people getting good news!!! I am still waiting to hear back from CUNY comp lit, there were three informal acceptances on the board a week ago, so I don't think an admit is in the cards for me. However, I'm still holding out hope that I've been waitlisted. Does anyone know if they actually let you know when you've been waitlisted? I am terrified of writing and getting a big, fat rejection back ?

4 hours ago, Submarina said:

A little spoilt - I have JHU, Brown, Cornell and Austin. Rejections from Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, UChicago - all of which I'd have preferred, but happy w/Cornell. Have yet to hear from Columbia, but likely rejected since I didn't get an interview. Also likely rejected at Irvine. WLd at CUNY.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got more acceptances :) Excited!

Congrats! I am sure I will see you at some of the acceptance events for Cornell and Brown, if you are going? When did you hear back from Berkeley, may I ask?

On 2/17/2022 at 12:58 PM, thursdaysnext said:

It was an email from the DGS. Also subfield is early modern. Someone asked me on the results page but I don't have whatever app you need to respond. . .lol ?

Congrats on the admit! 

Would you mind sharing which degree program? I applied to UConn's MA, which I know tends to send out decisions later than the PhD. 

1 hour ago, so-it-goes said:

Does anyone know if Rutgers is done sending out acceptances? I see one acceptance on the board but wondering if there are any more out there? Thanks everyone! 

Same, I also wanna know about this. I just wanna give up all the hope and expect a rejection but my hope is sadly still strong because there is still a very minute chance for a waitlist. 

Also, I wanna know about University of Maryland. I saw one reject on the result board (1st Feb) and a few interviews and waitlists (first week of Feb) but no acceptances. That's super weird, isn't it? Does anyone know more about this? I emailed the department on the 10th and they said that the application process is still not complete and it would take a few weeks. I'm getting somewhat impatient. haha