MIT Media Lab Fall 2022

Zeolite

February 18, 2022: Admission decisions emailed

March 18, 2022: Admitted Students Preview Event

April 15, 2022: Deadline for applicants to submit decision

May 6, 2022: Decisions made on waitlist applicants

From: https://www.media.mit.edu/posts/admissions-timeline/

From what others mentioned, it looks like most of us will get our decisions by Feb 18. I hope this helps.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:04 PM, Thisisit said:

Nope, too self-conscious to do that. I also have absolutely no idea on how people usually handle these situations and if there's a right or wrong way to go. I mean, I just filled out the application and sent it. Should I know people in the program? Should I have been in contact with the institution for years? Should I be manifesting getting in the media lab all day and all night and sacrifice my firstborn? No idea! 
Woooooooo!

A late answer for this one. I cold-contacted the Professor I would like to study with mid-2021 and they would not talk to potential candidates because of the high volume of messages they receive. Understandable.

I also contacted my second choice lab through a mutual friend. They never replied - a good sign that I should not apply to them, and I didn't.

I spoke to former students who had all kinds of experiences: cold-submitting like we did, previously working with the lab etc. No specific process. Yet it was very positive for me to try to contact them as I could at least learn who would spend at least 1 minute to read and answer an unsolicited potential student (amongst the hundreds they would receive during a year).

On 2/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, lolololol said:

Has anyone who had an interview been in touch with the PI or group since then? You can DM me if you want.

I heard from all 3 of the groups that I applied to that I didn't make the cut.  I heard from Fluid first, then TMG two weeks ago.

5 hours ago, Zeolite said:

I heard from all 3 of the groups that I applied to that I didn't make the cut.  I heard from Fluid first, then TMG two weeks ago.

I am sorry to hear that :(. If you can share, did you interview with all 3 of them and they actively sent an email letting you know? ... the anxiety is building up.

13 hours ago, learner22 said:

I am sorry to hear that :(. If you can share, did you interview with all 3 of them and they actively sent an email letting you know? ... the anxiety is building up.

I interviewed with all 3 of them - I don't think I ever really had a chance with Fluid. After 2 interviews with TMG, I reached out because I hadn't heard anything and they said that out of all their interviews, they found one perfect candidate who aligned with the lab. Same exact thing happened with CBA.