2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

5 hours ago, dagreenkat said:

I'm expecting Brown this week or next based on previous years, and then I'll be done. At least, until I get notification on if I'm off the waitlist. Low hopes for Brown, high hopes for getting in off that list... we'll see. What an emotionally taxing process, guys. Phew.

I'm just waiting on Brown as my final notification, too. It was solid rejections from everywhere I applied, though, so I'm expecting a rejection from Brown as well—plus it always felt like the longest shot, for me.

And yeah. This process sucks!! Haha. I feel like I spent my entire autumn and winter in a state of anxious exhaustion and dread. I've made peace with having to go through this again next year, if I apply a second time. But really not looking forward to it. Even though I guess I feel better prepared for a second round of applications.

I really hope you get in off that waitlist. And that you get into Brown. 

3 hours ago, ACPF said:

Tell me about it... Waitlists feel like just like microdosing rejection every day. I have noooo clue about my future any more than prior, but now get to feel this way for an additional month 🤠👍🏽. Thank you and, uh, very cool and dope.

Right. Like yay... an even longer wait... Resuming my plea to those accepted on here/Draft to let South Carolina know your final decision ASAP. End of March at earliest he said *cries*

2 hours ago, Catpaw said:

I'm just waiting on Brown as my final notification, too. It was solid rejections from everywhere I applied, though, so I'm expecting a rejection from Brown as well—plus it always felt like the longest shot, for me.

And yeah. This process sucks!! Haha. I feel like I spent my entire autumn and winter in a state of anxious exhaustion and dread. I've made peace with having to go through this again next year, if I apply a second time. But really not looking forward to it. Even though I guess I feel better prepared for a second round of applications.

I really hope you get in off that waitlist. And that you get into Brown. 

Feels like the longest shot for me too, and I think it's going to hurt the hardest. Thank you so much for your kind wishes. And dear schools, rip the bandaid off already!!

8 hours ago, michelleee said:

I'll never understand when people post a waitlist for a program but the note is 'has anyone heard from this program' on the results board--Im pretty sure you cant even reply to those posts? I feel like if people are religiously checking the board anyway theyd post their results when they got them you know

My favorite type of gradcafe notification result is when the person writes something like "I've been waitlisted and this is my DREAM SCHOOL so please please please pleeaaaassse make your decision quickly!!! thanks!! it would make me really happy" like girl 😭 no one's going to make a life-changing decision that'll impact their life for the upcoming 2-8 years more quickly just because you're asking them to in the results part of the gradcafe website, they aren't even reading it lol

40 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

Dear spam callers with area codes from the northeast… now is NOT the time.

Just went on an aggressive hunt to figure out a missed call from a PA area code. Pretty sure it was spam but I’m still stressed I missed it lol

1 hour ago, dagreenkat said:

Dear spam callers with area codes from the northeast… now is NOT the time.

literally I made a sample college app account to see how it looks so I can help my younger sibling apply to local colleges and I got a phone call and voicemail from that undergrad program and it had the area code from a school I'm still waiting to hear from I was... upset lol. like no I'm not finishing my app and do not ever contact me again I'll call the authorities on you

I need Brown decisions to come out so I can stop obsessively checking my email and finish this application season 😩. Even with a few acceptances, it's so hard not to have all the info. I just want to make a decision and start planning!! 

Along those lines -- we're all pretty much agreed that it's over for Iowa and Hunter, right? 

Has anyone heard from UT New Writer’s Project (fiction)? My rejection shows for The Michener Center, but the other portal reads “in review.” Also, I’ve seen people post rejections from FSU, but has anyone gotten or seen anything about acceptances? Could there be staggered rejections? Or is the fact that I’ve heard nothing from FSU a good sign? This is my first application cycle, and I’d appreciate any shared knowledge. Also waiting on UF, FAU, FIU, Hollins, UNC Greensboro, and McNeese St. Thank you all for such helpful contributions here.

Hi everyone  :) I've lurked on here a long time but never posted. I'm applying for the first time ever and have so far gotten waitlisted three places with three almost certain rejections, all for fiction: waitlisted at Oregon state, IU Bloomington, and Mississippi (or whatever round two means) and I assume by now, due to no response, I must have been rejected from UC Irvine, UC Davis, and rutgers Camden. However I'm still waiting for Boston university and it was my top choice -- I have a lot of hope for it. Is anyone else still waiting for a Boston decision? This has been so hard 😭😭 but I'm greatly appreciative of the waitlist spots

19 minutes ago, appleenjoyer said:

Hi everyone  :) I've lurked on here a long time but never posted. I'm applying for the first time ever and have so far gotten waitlisted three places with three almost certain rejections, all for fiction: waitlisted at Oregon state, IU Bloomington, and Mississippi (or whatever round two means) and I assume by now, due to no response, I must have been rejected from UC Irvine, UC Davis, and rutgers Camden. However I'm still waiting for Boston university and it was my top choice -- I have a lot of hope for it. Is anyone else still waiting for a Boston decision? This has been so hard 😭😭 but I'm greatly appreciative of the waitlist spots

Hi! I am also still waiting on UC Irvine and Boston (and UC Riverside). From what I understand, these three schools all have a history of being a little more staggered for notifications, since I think they don't explicitly notify waitlisted applicants but kind of see how things shape up as they give out acceptances. The waiting is so tough!

On 3/3/2023 at 7:44 PM, eternalwhitenights said:

Not at all! Also, as someone who didn't get an interview, I can't tell if that is now a prerequisite for possible admittance, or if it's just to narrow down candidates they're unsure of (i.e. not just straight acceptance, but likely to be accepted)...this process, yo!

I hope you get in (hugs--the wait is real), and, if you're comfortable doing so, and you do end up asking about the interview followup over email, do you think you could ask if that's now their process, i.e. an interview is now a prerequisite to assume possible waitlist or acceptance status? Hopefully that can be helpful for others (including myself, NGL 😅🤣) going forward.

Prayers/hugs/solidarity on the wait--I hope you get in, and it works out how it's supposed to for you. :)❤️ 

Waitlist &admit notifications for ND have been updated on portal 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:22 PM, FloridaMan said:

Has anyone heard from UT New Writer’s Project (fiction)? My rejection shows for The Michener Center, but the other portal reads “in review.” Also, I’ve seen people post rejections from FSU, but has anyone gotten or seen anything about acceptances? Could there be staggered rejections? Or is the fact that I’ve heard nothing from FSU a good sign? This is my first application cycle, and I’d appreciate any shared knowledge. Also waiting on UF, FAU, FIU, Hollins, UNC Greensboro, and McNeese St. Thank you all for such helpful contributions here.

Mine is the opposite! I think that means you are still in the running for UT New Writer's Project!

(i)       (i)       (i)
(i)                               (i)
(i)                                      (i)
(i)   Remaining Universities  (i)
(i)      Summoning Circle      (i)
(i)                                     (i)
(i)                              (i)
(i)       (i)       (i)

11 hours ago, alligator mississippiensis said:

Yo I am still waiting on Hunter College, NYU, Columbia, and UC Irvine. Does anyone have any information about when they've sent out rejections in the past? Thank you ❤️ 

I can't speak to Columbia or UC Irvine, but NYU should be sending out waitlists next week, and rejections either later that week or the following. It seems Hunter takes a little longer. It may take until EOM or mid-April to get a rejection from them.