HGSE 2023

Here2Teach

Congrats to each of you for choosing to apply this cycle. Most people never even pull together an application out of fear of rejection--what a victory to face fear head on rather than wondering "what if". People often say "you only need one!" when referring to grad school acceptances, but whenever I said this after multiple rejections, my partner always reminded me "you only need zero." You need zero acceptances to validate your worth as a human being. You're wonderful, interesting, and powerful before and after this grad app cycle! Good luck to those EDLD applicants still waiting!

I've spent some time the past few weeks looking at past cohorts and the CVs of those who have been accepted to the EdLD program. Seems like the majority of candidates have already founded companies, or have been district-level leaders, successfully launched programs and initiatives, etc. This makes me think that that they are looking for those who are already established within the field, not necessarily those who are planning to use the degree as a step stone to be able to do those things. So that's something to think about! 

On 2/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, singsthebody said:

I've spent some time the past few weeks looking at past cohorts and the CVs of those who have been accepted to the EdLD program. Seems like the majority of candidates have already founded companies, or have been district-level leaders, successfully launched programs and initiatives, etc. This makes me think that that they are looking for those who are already established within the field, not necessarily those who are planning to use the degree as a step stone to be able to do those things. So that's something to think about! 

Isn't that kind of the case for all high-ranking programs? but also I see what you mean. It did get me to think that it's just this circle of successful rich people getting richer and more successful :D

8 hours ago, cowsgomooo said:

Based on the last couple of years' trends, HGSE should be releasing acceptances to their EdM programs this Friday?

Hello! I just joined this forum as I anxiously await the HGSE EdM results too 😅 Yes, from my understanding they release the acceptances on the 1st Friday of March (even if the website mentions late March). Fingers crossed the news will be positive :)

1 hour ago, explorED said:

Hello! I just joined this forum as I anxiously await the HGSE EdM results too 😅 Yes, from my understanding they release the acceptances on the 1st Friday of March (even if the website mentions late March). Fingers crossed the news will be positive :)

At this point, I just want the results asap so that I can move on with other offers as well as my life. Whatever the result is I want it NOW :D But ofc best of luck to everyone!

On 2/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, cowsgomooo said:

Based on the last couple of years' trends, HGSE should be releasing acceptances to their EdM programs this Friday?

I'm hoping this is the case. I have been SUPER antsy, and just want to know one way or the other at this point. Rooting for each and every one of us here!

30 minutes ago, annie_happy said:

For those who applied to the Ed.M program, what are your all’s stats? Also, so hopeful results come out tomorrow!! It’s been a long wait and I’m so excited for it to be here! Good luck to everyone.

I love the idea of sharing this to help future folks when they are applying! I look through a lot of threads, and posted my information at the beginning of this thread Happy to share again here to get this ball rolling:

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No Concentration
GRE: Not planning to take. I feel like I've been out of school too long to take it and do well at it
Work experience: 9 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S.
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances ?
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the director of a tutoring center I work at part time.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. I would love to chat with other applicants that might be in a similar position.

Would love to hear your stats, @annie_happy :)

Edited by Here2Teach

8 minutes ago, Here2Teach said:

I love the idea of sharing this to help future folks when they are applying! I look through a lot of threads, and posted my information at the beginning of this thread Happy to share again here to get this ball rolling:

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No Concentration
GRE: Not planning to take. I feel like I've been out of school too long to take it and do well at it
Work experience: 9 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S.
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances ?
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the director of a tutoring center I work at part time.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. I would love to chat with other applicants that might be in a similar position.

Would love to hear your stats, @annie_happy :)

Yes, I have absolutely loved reading stats of previous threads! Here are my stats:

Program/Concentration: EPA; Identity, Power, and Justice in Education

GRE: Did not take

Work Experience: Roughly 3-4 years!

Undergrad: B.S. in Human Development/Family Studies

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (It is this low due to going through grief/other personal issues).

Grad: Current grad student studying Educational Psychology - will graduate this summer.

Grad GPA: 3.8

Research: I’ve taken a few classes in grad school and will be doing a research project this summer!

LORs: One professor from undergrad, one professor from grad, and my employer from my current work

Other info: I have founded an organization to help bullying in my local community’s public schools.

Hopeful we will hear tomorrow!

25 minutes ago, annie_happy said:

Yes, I have absolutely loved reading stats of previous threads! Here are my stats:

Program/Concentration: EPA; Identity, Power, and Justice in Education

Work Experience: Roughly 3-4 years!

Undergrad: B.S. in Human Development/Family Studies

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (It is this low due to going through grief/other personal issues).

Grad: Current grad student studying Educational Psychology - will graduate this summer.

Grad GPA: 3.8

Research: I’ve taken a few classes in grad school and will be doing a research project this summer!

LORs: One professor from undergrad, one professor from grad, and my employer from my current work

Other info: I have founded an organization to help bullying in my local community’s public schools.

Hopeful we will hear tomorrow!

You sound like an AMAZING candidate, @annie_happy! Hoping we all hear great news tomorrow, and even get to meet in Cambridge soon. :D

First post but have been watching this forum for quite awhile! First time applicant here. Wanted to share some stats too :)

Program/Concentration: LDIT/ NIL

Work Experience: 2 Years as a certified trained science teacher

Undergrad: B.S (Hons) in Chemistry 

Undergrad GPA: 3.77 (WES evaluation converted from: 4.65/5.00)

Grad: Post-Grad Certification in Education (Teaching)

Grad GPA: 3.53

Research: Research experience during undergraduate career, 2 published papers in Chemical Education - Journal part of American Chemical Society Publications (1st author for one and 2nd author for other one)

LORs: One professor from undergrad, one professor from grad, and supervisor from current workplace

Others: International applicant from Asian country. 

Hey everyone! I have been looking for a forum like this ever since I applied to HGSE and couldn't find anything. So happy I have found this chat now albeit at a very late time haha. I am also anxiously awaiting an email since I convinced myself that they would be out today too. Here are my stats if anyone wants to know:

Program/Concentration: HDE - Identity, Power and Justice 
GRE: Didn't take 
Work experience: 7+ years as a classroom volunteer in a special educational needs (SEND) school. One year of psychiatric clinical experience working with individuals with mental health diagnoses and neurodevelopmental disorders and at a sports psychology firm. 
Undergrad: BA in Psychological and Behavioural Sciences 
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 
Research: Undergrad research dissertation and contributed to a paper investigating the genetic basis of epilepsy. 
LORs: 1 from dissertation supervisor, 1 from director of studies at university and 1 from my current employer
Other info: I'm 22, I'm from London and I went to the University of Cambridge for my undergrad. Funnily enough, I only recently found out that Harvard is located in 'Cambridge, Massachusetts' haha. I also created an initiative that connects disabled children and neurotypical children through swimming activities when I was 11. 

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone for today! Wishing you all the best!

Edited by Educator4Life

Hi, everyone, the time is near! I read my SoP again and again while waiting. Reliving my past experience and reflecting my deeper purpose of this graduate school application. Truly being grateful to this special experience (including this little waiting part). Hope everyone gets the email starts with “Congratulations”!

Hi everyone! Anxiously waiting for an email here as well. Sharing stats below! 

Program/Concentration: ELOE/Global, International and Comparative Ed concentration 
GRE: Did not take 
Work experience: Less than a year at a workforce development non-profit, and a few federal internships. My interest is in international ed programming/increasing access and funding. 
Undergrad: BA in Political Science 
Undergrad GPA: 3.91
Research: None. 
LORs: One from a former professor, one from a former academic advisor, and one from a supervisor.