HGSE 2023

Here2Teach

On 1/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, annie_happy said:

I will be submitting mine here soon! I have the same feelings. What’s going to be even worse is the wait until March! Nevertheless I’m so excited!

On 1/5/2023 at 11:27 PM, Yummy_yum_yum said:

Me too! Application submitted.

Good luck to us all ?

Good luck to both of you! And to everyone else! ?

Hi all! I've been lurking on the HGSE threads on grad cafe for 1.5 years now (eek!) and figured it's about time I make an account and join the conversation, since I learned so much from those who have been willing to post. I applied for the PhD this year and am anxiously awaiting the results. This is my first time applying, I was rejected from the HGSE EdM in 2021 but did a master's at a comparably ranked uni in the meantime. I also applied to NYU, Northwestern, and Penn, among others. We'll see!! Good luck everybody!

I wonder if Harvard might actually start sending out PhD interview invitations by the end of this week, maybe even today. Lol I just realized something. Earlier, I had thought (based on GradCafe result trends) that it might be one of those days at the end of next week. However, I just took a look at the HGSE academic calendar for the past few years and noticed another trend—that invitations went out right before J-Term ended.

For Fall 2022, people started posting about interviews starting from January 19, two days before J-Term ended on Friday the 21st. And spring semester classes started the following Monday. For Fall 2020, people started posting about interviews starting from January 17, which was a Friday and the day that J-Term ended. There was a longer break and classes began on the 27th. For Fall 2019, people started posting about interviews starting from January 17, the day before J-Term ended on Friday the 18th. Similarly, there was a week-long break before classes began on the 28th. It's the same pattern for Fall 2018 (minus the week-long break after J-Term)and Fall 2017. I didn't check farther back on the calendar. Basically, it seems to be right as J-Term ends.

This year, J-Term ends this Friday the 13th, meaning that we might start hearing back from today, technically.

EDIT: I just checked... The trend goes back to at least January 2014... It has been consistent for the past decade. Lol People started posting about interviews on the day of or just before J-Term ended. That means now. ?

Edited by mintchocol8e

4 hours ago, mintchocol8e said:

I wonder if Harvard might actually start sending out PhD interview invitations by the end of this week, maybe even today. Lol I just realized something. Earlier, I had thought (based on GradCafe result trends) that it might be one of those days at the end of next week. However, I just took a look at the HGSE academic calendar for the past few years and noticed another trend—that invitations went out right before J-Term ended.

For Fall 2022, people started posting about interviews starting from January 19, two days before J-Term ended on Friday the 21st. And spring semester classes started the following Monday. For Fall 2020, people started posting about interviews starting from January 17, which was a Friday and the day that J-Term ended. There was a longer break and classes began on the 27th. For Fall 2019, people started posting about interviews starting from January 17, the day before J-Term ended on Friday the 18th. Similarly, there was a week-long break before classes began on the 28th. It's the same pattern for Fall 2018 (minus the week-long break after J-Term)and Fall 2017. I didn't check farther back on the calendar. Basically, it seems to be right as J-Term ends.

This year, J-Term ends this Friday the 13th, meaning that we might start hearing back from today, technically.

EDIT: I just checked... The trend goes back to at least January 2014... It has been consistent for the past decade. Lol People started posting about interviews on the day of or just before J-Term ended. That means now. ?

Oh @mintchocol8e what a sharp analysis you did here! I'm good for insomnia now ? 

4 hours ago, mintchocol8e said:

Well spotted! I was not emotionally prepared for this analysis.

7 minutes ago, MashiRuna said:

After checking out reddit, @mintchocol8emay be right: there are a couple of people that have posted this week (and some even yesterday) about getting interviews for other Phd programs at HU, within GSAS. I'm wondering if HGSE will follow today/tomorrow...

Oh, this is so exciting! By the way, is this r/gradadmissions or is it another subreddit?

@mintchocol8e I just searched for "phd interviews Harvard" and saw that Chem. Bio was reaching out to students. Unless something came in today for some of you, perhaps tomorrow will bring us good news? Otherwise, I'm thinking it'll most likely be next week!

@Freddie.lit doesn't send you anything, but you can verify that it went through by logging into the HGSE apply page and you'll see your app there with a check signifying it's been sent.

10 minutes ago, Creamsoda said:

They're really playing around like that!! Come on people! Sorry that happened :(

Hehe no, it’s alright! It was just a coincidence. It was actually a monthly email from something I’m still involved in but any university email with an official banner popping up during this month, especially in these few weeks, make me extra cautious. Lol

Edited by mintchocol8e

26 minutes ago, mintchocol8e said:

Hehe no, it’s alright! It was just a coincidence. It was actually a monthly email from something I’m still involved in but any university email with an official banner popping up during this month, especially in these few weeks, make me extra cautious. Lol

I can only imagine the stress! Breathe, @mintchocol8e! The good news shall come, I feel it! (maybe not today though).

any idea of the time invitations usually come? morning, afternoon?

@mintchocol8e you've got a great mindset about it, that's awesome. ❤️ 

@eduforallNot sure about the time. I heard Penn's lists are submitted, don't know when emails would go out for that though. (my friend's advisor is at penn.) They said that they had no idea if Harvard's were in yet. So maybe that means it'll be next week for Harvard.. who knows. I'm going to set a mental deadline for noon--if there's no word by then, I'm going to try to mentally check out for the weekend!

4 minutes ago, Creamsoda said:

@eduforallNot sure about the time. I heard Penn's lists are submitted, don't know when emails would go out for that though. (my friend's advisor is at penn.) They said that they had no idea if Harvard's were in yet. So maybe that means it'll be next week for Harvard.. who knows. I'm going to set a mental deadline for noon--if there's no word by then, I'm going to try to mentally check out for the weekend!

@CreamsodaThank you! Penn's lists are submitted.. you mean for the weekend invitations?? When will they be sent? today?

2 minutes ago, Creamsoda said:

Awww, thanks. ☺️ I like your positive take on things too. I think I’ll do the same. I’ll just put my phone on silent, go to sleep (different time zone), and just check my emails in the morning. If there’s nothing by then, I can just mentally check out too until Tuesday!

Although if they do send out any invites after the last day of J-Term, that certainly would be the first time in at least a decade! But really, anything can happen, so all we can do is just wait and hope!

9 minutes ago, Creamsoda said:

I heard Penn's lists are submitted, don't know when emails would go out for that though. (my friend's advisor is at penn.)

@CreamsodaWow, you should post this in the “UPenn GSE 2023” thread! There might be some who would be interested to know this information but haven’t applied to HGSE so may not see this post!

5 minutes ago, mintchocol8e said:

Awww, thanks. ☺️ I like your positive take on things too. I think I’ll do the same. I’ll just put my phone on silent, go to sleep (different time zone), and just check my emails in the morning. If there’s nothing by then, I can just mentally check out too until Tuesday!

Sounds good--hoping you rest well!!

@eduforall not sure if that means they'll go out today, maybe admin has to do stuff with it first. Sorry I can't be of more help!