HGSE 2023

Here2Teach

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, annie_happy said:

Hi all! I am excited (and nervous) to be applying to the EPA program for the 2023-2024 cycle. I have done extensive research of multiple programs and HGSE’s EPA program is the only one that checks off all of my boxes and more. Their values of and commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity in the education sphere as well as the belief that we can change the world through education align perfectly with my values and future goals. I’ve read through all of the professors’ bios and the classes they offer - totally geeking out! Even though HGSE’s EPA is the program that seems to be a perfect fit for me, I am intimidated by it being Harvard. I have moments when I feel confident in applying and moments when I have a lot of self-doubt. Regardless, I am grateful to be applying! I wish everyone the best as we finish up our applications!

Wishing you all the best too! We are all on this journey together. My fingers are crossed and prayers said for all of us as we apply.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, Here2Teach said:

I am hoping it is okay to ask this, but would anyone be willing to look at my Statement of Purpose and give me some feedback? I have been working on it for several weeks now, and am feeling stuck. ?

I am late seeing this, but I am also happy to look at it if you like, @Here2Teach

I am happy to do the same for other people. I want to pay it forward for all the help I got last year. 

5 hours ago, DogeCoin said:

I am late seeing this, but I am also happy to look at it if you like, @Here2Teach

I am happy to do the same for other people. I want to pay it forward for all the help I got last year. 

Hey DogeCoin, what program are you applying for? Are you already in? Or are you applying a second time?

On 7/6/2022 at 3:19 AM, Here2Teach said:

A little bit about me as an applicant (thanks @DogeCoin for the template from last year):

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No Concentration
GRE: Not planning to take. I feel like I've been out of school too long to take it and do well at it
Work experience: 9 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S.
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances ?
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the director of a tutoring center I work at part time.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. I would love to chat with other applicants that might be in a similar position.

Hello! I did my EdM at HGSE a few years ago and am currently applying to the PhD program. I also had a similar background as yours, though you have much more teaching experience than I did at the time! Also, my undergrad was not in the education field. (I do have a couple of years of teaching experience and a clear connection to the education field by now though.)

When I got into the masters program, my GPA was also a 3.3, but I scored high on the GRE and had a second degree, both of which I think might have helped. I also had some research experience, though that might be more relevant for a PhD. And I was also long distance from my husband (different continents), but we talked on the phone everyday and I visited home during the winter break. We’ll be long distance again if I get into the PhD program, but thankfully he’s very supportive!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Edited by mintchocol8e

1 hour ago, mintchocol8e said:

Hello! I did my EdM at HGSE a few years ago and am currently applying to the PhD program. I also had a similar background as yours, though you have much more teaching experience than I did at the time! Also, my undergrad was not in the education field. (I do have a couple of years of teaching experience and a clear connection to the education field by now though.)

When I got into the masters program, my GPA was also a 3.3, but I scored high on the GRE and had a second degree, both of which I think might have helped. I also had some research experience, though that might be more relevant for a PhD. And I was also long distance from my husband (different continents), but we talked on the phone everyday and I visited home during the winter break. We’ll be long distance again if I get into the PhD program, but thankfully he’s very supportive!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Thank you so very much! I'm glad to hear from someone who was in the same boat as me when they were at HGSE (and may be again in that boat). I will definitely DM you shortly if that is ok with you. ?

1 hour ago, mintchocol8e said:

For those of you who already submitted your application, does the status show as simply “Submitted”? I just wanted to make sure.

I haven't submitted yet, but will check and confirm this when I do submit my application tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, MashiRuna said:

@eduforallI am in the same boat - just seeing if I'm lucky to get one of those invitations. I'm assuming they'd start come out sometime mid January, given the trend I've seen in previous years from other posts. So far I've had one invite come from another university last month, so I'm assuming HGSE's won't be too far behind. 

@MashiRuna Last year the deadline to apply was Dec 15th, and invitations starting going out on January 19th! So I guess sometime next week maybe?

1 hour ago, eduforall said:

@MashiRuna Last year the deadline to apply was Dec 15th, and invitations starting going out on January 19th! So I guess sometime next week maybe?

I think you confused the EdLD and PhD. The EdLD has historically been 12/15 and the PhD has historically been 12/1. 

I did some sleuthing and looked through previous GradCafe results -  Since 2017, interview invites have gone out the third week in January, either on a Wednesday (1x - 2022), Thursday (2x - 2017 and 2020), or Friday (2x - 2018 and 2019). HGSE did not accept PhD applicants in 2021. Prior to 2017 it was the 4th week on a Friday or Saturday.

I'm starting to go nuts, people. I'm making spreadsheets of data now that are just going to get increasingly more elaborate the next two weeks.

8 minutes ago, McPerson said:

I think you confused the EdLD and PhD. The EdLD has historically been 12/15 and the PhD has historically been 12/1. 

I did some sleuthing and looked through previous GradCafe results -  Since 2017, interview invites have gone out the third week in January, either on a Wednesday (1x - 2022), Thursday (2x - 2017 and 2020), or Friday (2x - 2018 and 2019). HGSE did not accept PhD applicants in 2021. Prior to 2017 it was the 4th week on a Friday or Saturday.

I'm starting to go nuts, people. I'm making spreadsheets of data now that are just going to get increasingly more elaborate the next two weeks.

You are right @McPerson and your analysis is pretty accurate. Thanks for the detailed info! Please do share the spreadsheets haha we are all going nuts here.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, McPerson said:

Thank you for this info! Your post inspired me to search the GradCafe results and make my own spreadsheet. ? The following dates are when people posted that they received an interview for a PhD at Harvard for the education field from Fall 2014 to Fall 2022. I understand that they might have posted later instead of on the actual date of the email, but here is what I have:

Fall 2022: Three people on Wednesday, January 19, and one person on Saturday, January 22

Fall 2021: N/A

Fall 2020: Four people on Friday, January 17

Fall 2019: Three people on Thursday, January 17, and one person on Friday, January 18

Fall 2018: One person on Thursday, January 18, and one person on Friday, January 19

Fall 2017: One person on Friday, January 20, and two people on Saturday, January 21

Fall 2016: Four people on Saturday, January 23

Fall 2015: Two people on Saturday, January 24; two people on Sunday, January 25; one person on Monday, January 26; one person on Tuesday, January 27; and one person on Sunday, February 1

Fall 2014: Two people on Friday, January 24, and two people on Saturday, January 25

Based on all of this, I think that the PhD interviews MIGHT start going out on Thursday, January 19, or Friday, January 20, of this year. Of course I might be totally wrong. ? (On a related note, a few years ago, I noticed a trend of decisions for masters at HGSE going out on the first Friday of March, but I don't know if that is still the case.)

19 minutes ago, mintchocol8e said:

Thank you for this info! Your post inspired me to search the GradCafe results and make my own spreadsheet. ? The following dates are when people posted that they received an interview for a PhD at Harvard for the education field from Fall 2014 to Fall 2022. I understand that they might have posted later instead of on the actual date of the email, but here is what I have:

Fall 2022: Three people on Wednesday, January 19, and one person on Saturday, January 22

Fall 2021: N/A

Fall 2020: Four people on Friday, January 17

Fall 2019: Three people on Thursday, January 17, and one person on Friday, January 18

Fall 2018: One person on Thursday, January 18, and one person on Friday, January 19

Fall 2017: One person on Friday, January 20, and two people on Saturday, January 21

Fall 2016: Four people on Saturday, January 23

Fall 2015: Two people on Saturday, January 24; two people on Sunday, January 25; one person on Monday, January 26; one person on Tuesday, January 27; and one person on Sunday, February 1

Fall 2014: Two people on Friday, January 24, and two people on Saturday, January 25

Based on all of this, I think that the PhD interviews MIGHT start going out on Thursday, January 19, or Friday, January 20, of this year. Of course I might be totally wrong. ? (On a related note, a few years ago, I noticed a trend of decisions for masters at HGSE going out on the first Friday of March, but I don't know if that is still the case.)

You're my type of person, this is so beautiful!!! 

Thoughts on GradCafe data:

1. For interviews, we can only see the date it was added, so if someone added it a few days after, that would be the date it shows up. Accept/Waitlist/Reject are recorded differently.

2. Timezones! Depending on where someone is in the world, they could be a day ahead or behind. 

3. 2015 was a weird year. It makes me wonder if individual professors are sending emails out to their prospective grad students rather than relying on an automated system like the master's program. Then again, the dates are a lot tighter following that so... who knows!

I think you're right that it'll be towards the end of that week, especially because J-Term is underway right now and goes until the 13th. Professors have a 10-day break before classes resume for Spring on the 23rd. I'm thinking they'll have that time to really finalize everything.

Also, can confirm: Master's is still the first Friday in March, except two years ago where it was the second Friday in March (Covid threw it off). 

1 minute ago, McPerson said:

You're my type of person, this is so beautiful!!! 

Thoughts on GradCafe data:

1. For interviews, we can only see the date it was added, so if someone added it a few days after, that would be the date it shows up. Accept/Waitlist/Reject are recorded differently.

2. Timezones! Depending on where someone is in the world, they could be a day ahead or behind. 

3. 2015 was a weird year. It makes me wonder if individual professors are sending emails out to their prospective grad students rather than relying on an automated system like the master's program. Then again, the dates are a lot tighter following that so... who knows!

I think you're right that it'll be towards the end of that week, especially because J-Term is underway right now and goes until the 13th. Professors have a 10-day break before classes resume for Spring on the 23rd. I'm thinking they'll have that time to really finalize everything.

Also, can confirm: Master's is still the first Friday in March, except two years ago where it was the second Friday in March (Covid threw it off). 

Hehe! Thank you. This will make me extra sad when I don't get my interview invitation, but it was fun. ? And you're absolutely right about those data not being 100% reliable. Different timezones, people posting later, lack of clarity on whether that was when the interview invitation went out or when the interview took place, etc. (though I ignored ones where people wrote in the comment that it was the actual interview date). But it's great when people do post information for others to see for years down the line. I hope people will also do the same this year!