HGSE 2023

Here2Teach

Hello everyone! I have been lurking a while, but I wanted to get the ball rolling for all of us looking to apply to HGSE for Fall 2023! It seems like most everyone here is very supportive, and I can't wait to connect with other applicants!

I copied what @TabTurbo shared last year (thank you SO MUCH for doing that!), and have tried to update it:

HGSE Basic Info

Admission Stats

HGSE Publications

Edited by Here2Teach

A little bit about me as an applicant (thanks @DogeCoin for the template from last year):

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No Concentration
GRE: Not planning to take. I feel like I've been out of school too long to take it and do well at it
Work experience: 9 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S.
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances ?
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the director of a tutoring center I work at part time.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. I would love to chat with other applicants that might be in a similar position.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:19 PM, Here2Teach said:

A little bit about me as an applicant (thanks @DogeCoin for the template from last year):

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No Concentration
GRE: Not planning to take. I feel like I've been out of school too long to take it and do well at it
Work experience: 9 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S.
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I hope this doesn't hurt my chances ?
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the director of a tutoring center I work at part time.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. I would love to chat with other applicants that might be in a similar position.

Congratulations on starting the journey! I'm excited for you and everyone else starting out on this adventure, @Here2Teach!

Please reach out to me if I can help out as you apply to HGSE. So many helped me out, and I want to do the same for others!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TabTurbo said:

Thanks for getting the ball rolling @Here2Teach! Excited to apply for AY23-24 after a year of wait.

I'll be applying as a part-time residential student, appreciate anyone with experience or tips. Thank you!

Glad you are joining us again on the journey, @TabTurbo! Really appreciated and love all you posted in last years thread. 

Also would love hearing any and all tips/advice/suggestions from those that have applied before. Thank you so much in advance!

Recent HGSE grad here. Excited for all of you starting on this journey! HGSE is all that I hoped it would be and more, and I cannot encourage you enough to apply!

One suggestion I have is to attend as many of the virtual sessions that you can. These were SO helpful as I applied, and heard the same thing from many of my peers. HGSE will post their sessions here: 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

Good luck again to you all! I am not sure if I will be on here much, but message me if you have any questions for a recent alumna.

Hi Folks,

Congrats to the class of 2023! I graduated from HGSE LDIT this may (class of 2022), which was the first ever class for this new program. I originally joined this program in hopes to gain skills in becoming a EdTech product designer or Learning Experience Designer. I just made a youtube video rounding up my experience at LDIT this past year. Hope it's helpful to some of yalls! 

On 8/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, changvw said:

Hi Folks,

Congrats to the class of 2023! I graduated from HGSE LDIT this may (class of 2022), which was the first ever class for this new program. I originally joined this program in hopes to gain skills in becoming a EdTech product designer or Learning Experience Designer. I just made a youtube video rounding up my experience at LDIT this past year. Hope it's helpful to some of yalls! 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!

If I have questions later, can I message you to get your insider perspective?

On 8/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, changvw said:

Hi Folks,

All of the advice/thoughts about HGSE here is spot on! I totally support everything said in this video, and highly recommend watching it if you are going to apply to HGSE.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 11:28 PM, Yummy_yum_yum said:

Hi all!
I am applying to ELOE program (Concentration : Global, International, and comparative education).
I can’t believe I am applying to Harvard!! 

I wish I could attend in-person open house this month, but it is very far away from my location. 

Not sure where you're located, but there's a bunch of upcoming in-person events around the US. Also some remote/hybrid ones as well. Link: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

I'm currently in ELOE - feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program ?

On 9/25/2022 at 7:07 PM, McPerson said:

Not sure where you're located, but there's a bunch of upcoming in-person events around the US. Also some remote/hybrid ones as well. Link: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

I'm currently in ELOE - feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program ?

Thank you for sharing! SO wish I could come to an on-campus event!

@McPerson, what have you liked most about HGSE so far? And the ELOE program specifically? :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I wanted to plug the different recruitment and information events that HGSE does. I only was able to go to virtual ones, but they were INCREDIBLY helpful in my applications. They are doing in-person events this year too, and I bet they would be even more helpful if you could attend. They keep updating where they will be on part of HGSE's webpage: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

1 hour ago, AnnieRUok said:

Hi all! I wanted to plug the different recruitment and information events that HGSE does. I only was able to go to virtual ones, but they were INCREDIBLY helpful in my applications. They are doing in-person events this year too, and I bet they would be even more helpful if you could attend. They keep updating where they will be on part of HGSE's webpage: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/events

Agree with @AnnieRUok. The virtual sessions were really helpful!

Shameless plug, HGSE is SO SO SO worth the effort! You work hard, but so many opportunities!

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, Here2Teach said:

I am hoping it is okay to ask this, but would anyone be willing to look at my Statement of Purpose and give me some feedback? I have been working on it for several weeks now, and am feeling stuck. ?

Happy to! 

Hi all! I am excited (and nervous) to be applying to the EPA program for the 2023-2024 cycle. I have done extensive research of multiple programs and HGSE’s EPA program is the only one that checks off all of my boxes and more. Their values of and commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity in the education sphere as well as the belief that we can change the world through education align perfectly with my values and future goals. I’ve read through all of the professors’ bios and the classes they offer - totally geeking out! Even though HGSE’s EPA is the program that seems to be a perfect fit for me, I am intimidated by it being Harvard. I have moments when I feel confident in applying and moments when I have a lot of self-doubt. Regardless, I am grateful to be applying! I wish everyone the best as we finish up our applications!

On 12/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, annie_happy said:

Hi all! I am excited (and nervous) to be applying to the EPA program for the 2023-2024 cycle. I have done extensive research of multiple programs and HGSE’s EPA program is the only one that checks off all of my boxes and more. Their values of and commitment to inclusion, diversity, and equity in the education sphere as well as the belief that we can change the world through education align perfectly with my values and future goals. I’ve read through all of the professors’ bios and the classes they offer - totally geeking out! Even though HGSE’s EPA is the program that seems to be a perfect fit for me, I am intimidated by it being Harvard. I have moments when I feel confident in applying and moments when I have a lot of self-doubt. Regardless, I am grateful to be applying! I wish everyone the best as we finish up our applications!

I'm the same! Let's stay positive and focus on the bigger picture: PhD is only the canal, not the goal.