MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

On 1/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, Joyful13 said:

Hello! Anybody else apply for WLU, MSW, non-BSW, online part-time program, September 2023 start? This is my THIRD time applying! My grades are not stellar, I think I have an 78% average over last two years. However, this time I have 15,000 hours of experience and over 5000 of which are clinical (addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor, and now a therapist within a private practice). I have my diploma in Social Service Work and my BA in Psychology (really wish I had done the BSW....). 

I wish they didn't make us wait so long ?

Good luck everyone! 

I have applied as well! Anxiously waiting and checking this forum :) May cant come fast enough

On 1/29/2023 at 5:50 AM, Joyful13 said:

Hello! Anybody else apply for WLU, MSW, non-BSW, online part-time program, September 2023 start? This is my THIRD time applying! My grades are not stellar, I think I have an 78% average over last two years. However, this time I have 15,000 hours of experience and over 5000 of which are clinical (addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor, and now a therapist within a private practice). I have my diploma in Social Service Work and my BA in Psychology (really wish I had done the BSW....). 

I wish they didn't make us wait so long ?

Good luck everyone! 

Hey Joyful13! I'm applying for the next cycle for WLU MSW (non-BSW) and was curious how you got the clinical experience without a BSW if you have time to share. I have a BA in Psych as well and would love to get some more experience that is similar to what you have. I currently work for a non-profit (mental health/advocacy). Any tips to get the addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor type roles with a BA in Psych? Is it your SW diploma that helped with that?

Thank you and good luck to you, will be crossing my fingers for you!!! It sounds like you have a ton of experience though - they'd be silly to not accept you! 

On 1/27/2023 at 3:37 PM, lisaollie said:

Congratulations Samantha123!! 

Dana, I have also applied to Calgary for the Distance Education, Clinical Social Work specialization, and my understanding is this MSW program is expected to be completed in 20 months. I heard offers for Calgary's online program would be shared in February and now that you are all receiving them I am realizing how close the decision time is! Did those accepted to Calgary receive an email or see a change in their application status on UCalgary's portal?

Are there folks that have applied to Laurier for the advanced standing, in-person program? Good luck to all who are waiting!!

Hey Lisaollie! I just had a call with an advisor from U of C and they said that the distance program will take 3 years regardless of whether it is Calgary based or Edmonton based. I guess that is due to how the practicum lines up with the classes etc. Hoping for more info on this soon - she said the information will be up on the website in the summer. 

49 minutes ago, Dana- said:

Hey Lisaollie! I just had a call with an advisor from U of C and they said that the distance program will take 3 years regardless of whether it is Calgary based or Edmonton based. I guess that is due to how the practicum lines up with the classes etc. Hoping for more info on this soon - she said the information will be up on the website in the summer. 

Thank you for sharing Dana! I am in Ontario and applied for the advanced standing, online MSW. Sorry, I got it wrong earlier when I said that it was 20 months, my notes actually said 24 months. However, I appreciate that you have explained how practicum needs to align with classes and that it will actually take 3 years to complete. The distance program required several residencies in Calgary as well. I imagine that is the same for Calgary or Edmonton?

9 minutes ago, lisaollie said:

Thank you for sharing Dana! I am in Ontario and applied for the advanced standing, online MSW. Sorry, I got it wrong earlier when I said that it was 20 months, my notes actually said 24 months. However, I appreciate that you have explained how practicum needs to align with classes and that it will actually take 3 years to complete. The distance program required several residencies in Calgary as well. I imagine that is the same for Calgary or Edmonton?

OH! Yes good point. I am talking about the foundations program so that makes sense why the advanced distance program is 2 years and the foundations distance program is 3!  ?

17 hours ago, HanDMacL said:

for Carleton, which week should we be expecting?

Based on past forums, people started hearing news as early as the week of the 14th (so, next week). Of course, there's no guarantee that'll be the case this year, but I'm hopeful haha. I applied to Carleton as well and have been anxiously waiting!

On 2/5/2023 at 8:02 PM, Dana- said:

Hey Joyful13! I'm applying for the next cycle for WLU MSW (non-BSW) and was curious how you got the clinical experience without a BSW if you have time to share. I have a BA in Psych as well and would love to get some more experience that is similar to what you have. I currently work for a non-profit (mental health/advocacy). Any tips to get the addictions counsellor, mental health counsellor type roles with a BA in Psych? Is it your SW diploma that helped with that?

Thank you and good luck to you, will be crossing my fingers for you!!! It sounds like you have a ton of experience though - they'd be silly to not accept you! 

Hi Dana-, thanks for the kind words. Yes, my SSW diploma has helped, I'm a registered SSW. That being said, prior to registration, I was a case-manager and crisis counsellor with CMHA (ACTT, assertive community treatment team), I got my foundational experience there and then I moved to Alberta where I was hired on as an Addictions Counsellor with their health governing body, at the time they did not require registration. I'm currently a therapist under supervision, I'm employed under my title as a RSSW, without supervision by a MSW-level therapist, I would be unable to practice in this role. Unfortunately, both of these roles have required that I be registered with OCSWSSW. Hope that's helpful! 

All the best with your application!! I used MSW Helper (she's on this thread), and it was SO supportive. 

Hopping in here to wish everyone well! I am a UofT Advanced Standing hopeful ... my understanding is that UofT released their decisions in the first week of March the last two years, so we're almost there! Someone I know who is currently in the UofT 2-year program got their decision end of February ... so the 2-year folks only got a couple more weeks I bet. Best of luck!

14 hours ago, hopeful2024 said:

Hopping in here to wish everyone well! I am a UofT Advanced Standing hopeful ... my understanding is that UofT released their decisions in the first week of March the last two years, so we're almost there! Someone I know who is currently in the UofT 2-year program got their decision end of February ... so the 2-year folks only got a couple more weeks I bet. Best of luck!

I am holding my breath for UofT's advanced standing decisions to come out! The anxiety is killing me! I hope they do not wait till close to April. Aside from UofT I am waiting for Lakeheads MSW decisions to roll out, but their deadline was Feb 1st for applications so I can't imagine that offers of admission will be coming out any time soon :(

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

17 hours ago, hopeful2024 said:

Just from my previous applications. For the two year program, I know they've sent out admissions in waves from end of Feb through March and then wait lists at the start of April. Fingers crossed sooner rather than later.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:19 PM, Samantha123 said:

I received my admissions offer for the University of Calgary's Foundation clinical social work program today (Spring start) :) The graduate advisor emailed me to let me know the program has changed since I applied and I now have the option to do the program fully remote if I would like! Or I can do the in-person program in Calgary!

I just received the same email!! By them saying my application was favourably reviewed for admission, is this a guarantee of acceptance?

5 hours ago, HanDMacL said:

For Carleton, will we receive a notification when are status changes to the review stage?

We don’t get notifications as our application goes through the review stages. We’ll get a notification when they’ve made an admission decision. I think maybe we’ll get an email saying that they’ve made a decision and to check Carleton Central? And on their website they say that if you’re accepted you’ll receive an email from the Dean of FGPA :) 

Edited by jmcinn97

1 minute ago, jmcinn97 said:

We don’t get notifications as our application goes through the review stages. We’ll get a notification when they’ve made an admission decision. I think maybe well get an email saying that they’ve made a decision and to check Carleton Central? And on their website they say that if you’re accepted you’ll receive an email from the Dean of FGPA :) 

Thank you

On 2/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, Joyful13 said:

Hi Dana-, thanks for the kind words. Yes, my SSW diploma has helped, I'm a registered SSW. That being said, prior to registration, I was a case-manager and crisis counsellor with CMHA (ACTT, assertive community treatment team), I got my foundational experience there and then I moved to Alberta where I was hired on as an Addictions Counsellor with their health governing body, at the time they did not require registration. I'm currently a therapist under supervision, I'm employed under my title as a RSSW, without supervision by a MSW-level therapist, I would be unable to practice in this role. Unfortunately, both of these roles have required that I be registered with OCSWSSW. Hope that's helpful! 

All the best with your application!! I used MSW Helper (she's on this thread), and it was SO supportive. 

Thank you so much, Joyful13!! This is really helpful. All the best with your application as well! :)

Hello all, 

I just received an offer of admission to the UWindsor MSW for Helping Professionals, Fall of 2023. I am declining my offer, as I got accepted in another MSW program for the Spring 2023 start. 

I'm posting this in case someone is on the waiting list for UWindsor, in hopes that  my absence will create an open spot for another future MSW ?