2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

16 hours ago, ukeSLP said:

I haven't heard anything either. Has anyone asked McGill when we will be getting news? I wonder if it won't be until next week like last year. 

I haven't asked but we definitely have to be hearing back soon, I can't imagine how much longer 

28 minutes ago, girl said:

by email

If you don’t mind me asking, did it say anything in the email about stats or how many people applied? If they were sending acceptances out in waves? Or what it means to have received an early acceptance? Also, did you apply to both AUD and SLP? Thanks:) 

16 minutes ago, hopefulslpp said:

Hey all! Congrats to those who have heard back from Dal this week! I emailed McGill bc the stress was driving me crazy lol and Antoniette said they are anticipating mid-next week for us to begin hearing back. Hopefully its good news for everyone! :)

Omg I stressed all week for nothing. Thank you so much though!! 

5 hours ago, Chxnfu said:

Has anyone heard anything about audiology at Dal? Do you know if I got waitlisted last year, my chances are good for acceptance this year?

I'm stressing. I hope they send out an answer - any answer - asap. Hopefully they do it in bunches.

hi! I also applied to Dal but speech-language. I asked someone currently attending Dals SLP program and they said some received letters early while others received them the first few days in April. As for the waitlisted stats I'm not too sure, but my fingers are crossed for you!!! waiting is so stressful!

1 hour ago, speechiegal said:

If you don’t mind me asking, did it say anything in the email about stats or how many people applied? If they were sending acceptances out in waves? Or what it means to have received an early acceptance? Also, did you apply to both AUD and SLP? Thanks:) 

They didn't say anything about any of that in the acceptance email, but I got rejected last year and they said then that there was over 500 applications for 39 spots in both the SLP and AUD programs. But it sounds like Dalhousie is a little all over the place with acceptances, so there might be hope for you still! I only applied for SLP.

9 hours ago, Chxnfu said:

Do you know if I got waitlisted last year, my chances are good for acceptance this year?

To speak to this point - I feel like it really depends on the applicant pool in a given year. I have a friend that has gone through the application process 3 times, and the first two times she was waitlisted at multiple schools (one of them being Dal) and then the third time she applied she didn't get waitlisted or accepted anywhere. I don't want to discourage you at all, and wishing for all the best for you this time around! Just sharing an unfortunate reality of how tough this process can be sometimes :(

Just emailed Dal. Here’s what I got as a response:

“We send out our offers in batches.  We have sent some out already, but more will be sent out within the next 6 weeks or so.  We will also be notifying applicants if they have been waitlisted.  Thank you for your patience.“

hope this helps someone!

1 hour ago, Chxnfu said:

Just emailed Dal. Here’s what I got as a response:

“We send out our offers in batches.  We have sent some out already, but more will be sent out within the next 6 weeks or so.  We will also be notifying applicants if they have been waitlisted.  Thank you for your patience.“

hope this helps someone!

"within the next six weeks or so" 😅 they really love keeping us stressed!

19 minutes ago, SLPplease1 said:

April 3rd??  Offers have gone out for at least 2 universities (Univ of A, Dal).  Go figure. 

Anyone contacted U of T to find out when they will send offers? 

I don't think the UofAlberta has sent out any offers yet. I think the person that posted that they go into the UofA was referring to the University of Arizona, because many US school sent out their decisions on Mar. 7th & 8th. As for Dal they have been for the last few years very sporadic and random in how they send out their acceptances. 

Any school that goes through ORPAS for their applications releases their decisions (accepted, rejected, waitlisted) all on the same day, usually the first Monday of April, which this year is April 3rd. So that includes Western, UofT, and McMasters (if you received an interview). 

The U of A site says "The department plans to email all applicants their results by the end of May, 2023.  Thank you for your patience during this time." So I'm pretty sure that the other person was talking about the University of Arizona. US schools are much earlier.

Basically, I've prepared not to hear anything till May from U of Alberta, otherwise I might go crazy ha

On 3/16/2023 at 1:36 PM, girl said:

They didn't say anything about any of that in the acceptance email, but I got rejected last year and they said then that there was over 500 applications for 39 spots in both the SLP and AUD programs. But it sounds like Dalhousie is a little all over the place with acceptances, so there might be hope for you still! I only applied for SLP.

Have you improved your application compared to last year? If yes tell us how, please. :) 

2 hours ago, MajorTom10 said:

The U of A site says "The department plans to email all applicants their results by the end of May, 2023.  Thank you for your patience during this time." So I'm pretty sure that the other person was talking about the University of Arizona. US schools are much earlier.

Basically, I've prepared not to hear anything till May from U of Alberta, otherwise I might go crazy ha

Oh really, May seems so far away, ahh! I am wondering where does this say on the website? thank you :) 

7 hours ago, NikolaSLP said:

I don't think the UofAlberta has sent out any offers yet. I think the person that posted that they go into the UofA was referring to the University of Arizona, because many US school sent out their decisions on Mar. 7th & 8th. 

Ah. That makes sense. The person never replied to my query of which university. 🤷🏼‍♀️

6 hours ago, 15itspossibleslp said:

Oh really, May seems so far away, ahh! I am wondering where does this say on the website? thank you :) 

Here is the link 

It says it under the part The application system is now closed for Fall 2023. Under What happens after your application is submitted, it does say that "Applicants whom the department is recommending for acceptance will receive an e-mail or telephone call informing them of the recommendation prior to April 15

13 hours ago, J_slp said:

Here is the link 

It says it under the part The application system is now closed for Fall 2023. Under What happens after your application is submitted, it does say that "Applicants whom the department is recommending for acceptance will receive an e-mail or telephone call informing them of the recommendation prior to April 15

Weird mine definitely says end of May, but yes same spot. 

FA7F8E23-0A91-4B0E-A904-08E3E8FC7396.jpeg

ohhhh the April date is further down! I wonder if they just didn’t change one of them from last year. either way, I’m going with the ‘I’ll hear by May’ so I don’t refresh my email too often 

Edited by MajorTom10
Read further down lol

21 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Have you improved your application compared to last year? If yes tell us how, please. :) 

I applied super last minute last year so overall I didn't put as much effort into my letter of intent and had references that didn't know me as well. I also wrote my thesis in the meantime so that gave me good research experience and then I did a bit of volunteering in the fall.

19 hours ago, J_slp said:

Here is the link 

Ohh I see, thank you!

6 hours ago, MajorTom10 said:

Weird mine definitely says end of May, but yes same spot. 

FA7F8E23-0A91-4B0E-A904-08E3E8FC7396.jpeg

ohhhh the April date is further down! I wonder if they just didn’t change one of them from last year. either way, I’m going with the ‘I’ll hear by May’ so I don’t refresh my email too often 

Agree, waiting game is such a pain! haha but thank you as well!

Hi everyone, I'm a current first-year SLP student at Western. It was mentioned today by one of our professors that they had their final meeting this morning to make decisions about acceptances, so you should be hearing shortly :) I know how stressful the waiting is, hang in there!  

6 minutes ago, TaySLPApplicant said:

Hi everyone, I'm a current first-year SLP student at Western. It was mentioned today by one of our professors that they had their final meeting this morning to make decisions about acceptances, so you should be hearing shortly :) I know how stressful the waiting is, hang in there!  

That is great to hear! Thank you for sharing :)