2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

7 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

Since we know Princeton usually gets trolled, and the objective of a troll is to mess with people, I suggest we refrain from discussing those results. Let the troll deal with the silence ?

Just telling myself to calm down...all good things come to those who wait

Edited by kthslfmzgl

Anyone claiming the Ohio State admits? Seems like the right timing, based on previous years and the fact that the portal updates before any emails from the DGS or offer letters from the grad college are sent.

Also, claiming an WUSTL admit. CP/formal theory.

18 minutes ago, foxcarnival said:

Anyone claiming the Ohio State admits? Seems like the right timing, based on previous years and the fact that the portal updates before any emails from the DGS or offer letters from the grad college are sent.

Also, claiming an WUSTL admit. CP/formal theory.

Claiming Ohio! No email or anything, just weird update on the portal. I'm IR 

Haven't heard anything from WUSTL, Duke, and UWM yet. Still hopeful about WUSTL (since the only acceptances I have seen were from CP so far), but I gave up on the rest. Kind of disheartening since it is my second application cycle. Hope my remaining three will bring some fruitful results.

4 minutes ago, securityscholar said:

Haven't heard anything from WUSTL, Duke, and UWM yet. Still hopeful about WUSTL (since the only acceptances I have seen were from CP so far), but I gave up on the rest. Kind of disheartening since it is my second application cycle. Hope my remaining three will bring some fruitful results.

Yes I'm also wondering if any WUSTL admits here are not CP.

Hey guys,

Did you contact with potential advisors before the applications? Is it a major red flag not to do so? I did not contact with any faculty prior to application deadlines. Just mailed them a week ago - after I got really anxious. Not sure if it is a major thing. I'm an undergrad so really inexperienced in this application stuff.

4 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

Hey guys,

Did you contact with potential advisors before the applications? Is it a major red flag not to do so? I did not contact with any faculty prior to application deadlines. Just mailed them a week ago - after I got really anxious. Not sure if it is a major thing. I'm an undergrad so really inexperienced in this application stuff.

From what I understand, it really depends on the school and the department. It is much less common to do in social sciences and humanities, and I’ve even heard of faculty being a bit annoyed by it. I think reaching out to faculty that you really have parallel research interests with is a good idea just to pick their brain if they have time, but I don’t think you need to email someone from all of your schools to be successful. 

1 minute ago, juliacar said:

From what I understand, it really depends on the school and the department. It is much less common to do in social sciences and humanities, and I’ve even heard of faculty being a bit annoyed by it. I think reaching out to faculty that you really have parallel research interests with is a good idea just to pick their brain if they have time, but I don’t think you need to email someone from all of your schools to be successful. 

I also got mixed feedback on this question. A faculty member in gradadmissions subreddit suggested me to do it. I got really anxious and just mailed them.

3 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

I also got mixed feedback on this question. A faculty member in gradadmissions subreddit suggested me to do it. I got really anxious and just mailed them.

Almost certainly won’t hurt, but don’t expect responses. It’s a busy time of year:) 

12 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

Hey guys,

My faculty advisors at my undergrad told me that it really doesn't matter, so you should be good!

1 minute ago, pastapal said:

Another Princeton update posted on the results page... I keep checking the portal and then I hate that I'm letting myself get trolled ://

I am ready to believe only the moment someone claims it here. 
Many ppl here already got nice places (well prepared applicants). Nobody here got Princeton? At the same time, all those people willing to report  results but not to post here? Suspicious…