2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

9 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

@politicallygradOof- first week in March? That’s painful. I was under the impression acceptances all came in February so we could wipe our hands clean come March with visits, if any. Are Stanford and Harvard also that late do you know? I was counting on end of Feb.

I didn't apply to Harvard or Stanford so no idea on that. My take on UPenn is based entirely on prediction with reference to the past data.

27 minutes ago, Obscurepun said:

@politicallygradOof- first week in March? That’s painful. I was under the impression acceptances all came in February so we could wipe our hands clean come March with visits, if any. Are Stanford and Harvard also that late do you know? I was counting on end of Feb.

Based on results from last year, I'm expecting Harvard/Stanford results to come out next Tuesday and Wednesday (Feb 21st/22nd). But then again, most programs seem to be moving faster this year

Well well... I still have a bunch of schools to hear from, but at this point, I am almost certain that nothing good will come out of them. So, as much as I hate to say this, I am starting another cycle as one nears its end, this time, for Europe. Already have a small list of schools, but just in case I miss a good opportunity, could you suggest any European programs with later deadlines, preferably with a standard application procedure rather than "find yourself an advisor" type of thing, anything project-based with an emphasis on behavior would do too. Thanks in advance for any input.

8 hours ago, Senochka said:

Well well... I still have a bunch of schools to hear from, but at this point, I am almost certain that nothing good will come out of them. So, as much as I hate to say this, I am starting another cycle as one nears its end, this time, for Europe. Already have a small list of schools, but just in case I miss a good opportunity, could you suggest any European programs with later deadlines, preferably with a standard application procedure rather than "find yourself an advisor" type of thing, anything project-based with an emphasis on behavior would do too. Thanks in advance for any input.

https://nviewscareer.com/jobs/?_position=phd&_subjects=social-science

This might be a good source for project-based phds, with the caveat that you might have to wait for next semester either way. But it is mainly nordic countries, so you would have to look elsewhere for other european countries 

10 hours ago, anonymousvulture said:

https://nviewscareer.com/jobs/?_position=phd&_subjects=social-science

This might be a good source for project-based phds, with the caveat that you might have to wait for next semester either way. But it is mainly nordic countries, so you would have to look elsewhere for other european countries 

Thanks, this was super helpful. I actually never thought about Nordic countries and had places like Bocconi, SciencesPo, Hertie etc. in mind. So definitely opened a new door.

5 minutes ago, FrickinPolisci said:

Claim UCLA acceptance. IR subfield. Was convinced that I am not getting any acceptances and was planning to go to law school again. haha. Still cannot believe it.
International student. My recent masters is from an American institution. Was notified via email.

Congrats on your Friday afternoon miracle!

48 minutes ago, iskander said:

Did anyone ever get results from UT Austin? I've been trying to talk to someone from the admissions office about a question for literally a month and I never get an email or call back.

I think UT Austin was among the earliest schools that released results. I heard back on Jan 18 or so. I am not sure if they released all the results (including rejections) to everyone, but my portal has certainly been updated. I feel like you should try to speak to the department directly. Hope things are going well for you!

Anybody get good news from Brandeis's social policy PhD? Managed to somehow get waitlisted (email to check portal came through just now), though I've worked as a researcher (here, at Brandeis/Heller) for close to six years, published multiple times through said job, and am wrapping up my MPP here this semester. Literally had the dean of the school jumping up and down excited for me to join the program and all three of my rec letters were from professors I've worked with very closely here. 

I know it's all about the applicant pool and a little bit of luck, but damn. This one feels like a slap in the face.

Edited by zh_awk

20 minutes ago, zh_awk said:

Anybody get good news from Brandeis's social policy PhD? Managed to somehow get waitlisted (email to check portal came through just now), though I've worked as a researcher for close to six years, published multiple times through said job, and am wrapping up my MPP here this semester. Literally had the dean of the school jumping up and down excited for me to join the program and all three of my rec letters were from professors I've worked with very closely here. 

I know it's all about the applicant pool and a little bit of luck, but damn. This one feels like a slap in the face.

That's a hard pill to swallow - I'm sorry to hear that. I keep seeing these posts about overqualified applicants keep little to zero offers this cycle. One thing to keep in mind when applying to your own school are the politics of the admissions committee. Maybe they don't have the best relationship with your recommenders? Maybe they have a personal agenda to advance policy field research that isn't connected to yours? Applying to your own school can be a massive advantage, but it can easily backfire. So please don't see the waitlist as a reflection of your research abilities or contributions to the school - I have a feeling there are other forces at play.

10 minutes ago, Canuck2020 said:

That's a hard pill to swallow - I'm sorry to hear that. I keep seeing these posts about overqualified applicants keep little to zero offers this cycle. One thing to keep in mind when applying to your own school are the politics of the admissions committee. Maybe they don't have the best relationship with your recommenders? Maybe they have a personal agenda to advance policy field research that isn't connected to yours? Applying to your own school can be a massive advantage, but it can easily backfire. So please don't see the waitlist as a reflection of your research abilities or contributions to the school - I have a feeling there are other forces at play.

Thank you, I appreciate it. You summed it up well, I can imagine there are political pieces behind this that likely played a part, that had nothing to do with me or my qualifications I'm just kind of floored that the many years I've spent here busting my ass amounted to a waitlist spot, after so many high ranking professors/faculty claiming "we can't wait until you're a doctoral student here studying xyz with xyz." 

This is also my second waitlist, in addition to 2 rejections, so I think that's part of why this is hitting so hard. 

29 minutes ago, zh_awk said:

Thank you, I appreciate it. You summed it up well, I can imagine there are political pieces behind this that likely played a part, that had nothing to do with me or my qualifications I'm just kind of floored that the many years I've spent here busting my ass amounted to a waitlist spot, after so many high ranking professors/faculty claiming "we can't wait until you're a doctoral student here studying xyz with xyz." 

This is also my second waitlist, in addition to 2 rejections, so I think that's part of why this is hitting so hard. 

Makes sense - this is a really competitive process with a lot of rejection, so this result might hurt more because of that. But, if you've been that dedicated to your program, then they are missing out by not locking you down as a student to publish for the department.

I should note - the ratio of 2 waitlists to 2 rejections is pretty good! Definitely promising that you may get some good news soon.

1 hour ago, Canuck2020 said:

Makes sense - this is a really competitive process with a lot of rejection, so this result might hurt more because of that. But, if you've been that dedicated to your program, then they are missing out by not locking you down as a student to publish for the department.

I should note - the ratio of 2 waitlists to 2 rejections is pretty good! Definitely promising that you may get some good news soon.

I second that. With two waitlists, you have a very good chance to start your PhD in the fall.

I've been blessed with multiple acceptances at top schools this cycle. Talking to Professors, they told me that the decision of acceptance/rejection is sometimes based on really little details: a sabbatical here, a professor who prefers another student there... So never take rejections as face value of YOUR value. 

For everyone considering (re)applying, I should again recommend this post:

This helped me so much to build my application...