SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

Looks like someone on the NSERC board found out from their supervisor that their application was successful! So the information is somewhere, just not quite in our sights yet...  

4 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Looks like someone on the NSERC board found out from their supervisor that their application was successful! So the information is somewhere, just not quite in our sights yet...  

Congrats to your friend! I don't know if I'm relieved that the results are out there and I can't see them or if it makes me more anxious lol. 

2 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

Congrats to your friend! I don't know if I'm relieved that the results are out there and I can't see them or if it makes me more anxious lol. 

Oh I don't know them personally but they were a friend in suffering lol! Same here, I do not like who I've become over this waiting process haha

Just now, chicha3maddy said:

Oh I don't know them personally but they were a friend in suffering lol! Same here, I do not like who I've become over this waiting process haha

I hear you! I'm forcing myself not to email my supervisor to see if they know something that I don't. 

45 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

I hear you! I'm forcing myself not to email my supervisor to see if they know something that I don't. 

If my supervisor knew something, I feel like she'd have messaged me already with congrats or condolences. Anyway, I'm the same person as BlueTopaz but, for some reason, my account doesn't work on this laptop even with password reset. I don't want to miss out on the action today (if there is any). Good luck everyone.

1 hour ago, Attempted_Academic said:

Okay friends. Dumb question. Where do we look for results? My app is gone from the portal submitted to. Is there another portal I should be looking at? 

Yes! The results will be posted on the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants. When the results are ready, we'll be receiving an email with a link to set up our account. Our accounts haven't been created yet (just tried the Forgot Password option on the website just in case haha), so it's just a waiting game at this point.

I'm noticing from my previous emails that the results weren't released until the evening on April 25th. Specifically, I received mine at 6:55 (ADT). So, maybe we'll know around then. Hopefully, there isn't a work-around like last year. 

12 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

I'm noticing from my previous emails that the results weren't released until the evening on April 25th. Specifically, I received mine at 6:55 (ADT). So, maybe we'll know around then. Hopefully, there isn't a work-around like last year. 

Ah man, it'd be great to have the results tonight. Been getting lots of rejections lately so I need some good news 😅

While we're all hanging out stressed, does anyone want to share what they're researching? I'd love to hear about some of people's passion projects! :)) I'm researching how to deliver improved human sexuality training for clinical and counselling psychologists. 

1 minute ago, chicha3maddy said:

While we're all hanging out stressed, does anyone want to share what they're researching? I'd love to hear about some of people's passion projects! :)) I'm researching how to deliver improved human sexuality training for clinical and counselling psychologists. 

I'll be researching left-behind places (cities experiencing decline as a result of globalization) in the Canadian context, including where these places are located, who is located in these places, and how policy can mitigate socio-economic challenges being felt in these places!

5 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Your research sounds very interesting and obviously quite important! I hope you get funded :)... mine is a mixed-methods, phenomenological project. In broad strokes–gender and food insecurity experiences. 

Just now, nerd4planning said:

I'll be researching left-behind places (cities experiencing decline as a result of globalization) in the Canadian context, including where these places are located, who is located in these places, and how policy can mitigate socio-economic challenges being felt in these places!

This sounds incredibly interesting! (Please feel free to ignore my followup question if you don't feel like answering lol) Are you in sociology? 

2 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

Your research sounds very interesting and obviously quite important! I hope you get funded :)... mine is a mixed-methods, phenomenological project. In broad strokes–gender and food insecurity experiences. 

So does yours, and same to you! I really don't envy the committees, everyone is doing such great work. 

This sounds incredibly interesting! (Please feel free to ignore my followup question if you don't feel like answering lol) Are you in sociology? 

I don't mind the follow-up at all! I'm finishing up a Master of Planning and heading into a PhD in Geography. So I'd say it's a human geography / regional planning crossover :)

11 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

I'll be researching the school experiences of refugee and asylum seeking adolescents, specifically regarding how racism and discrimination might affect their education (special ed placement, time spent in reception classes, etc.) :)

5 minutes ago, nerd4planning said:

I don't mind the follow-up at all! I'm finishing up a Master of Planning and heading into a PhD in Geography. So I'd say it's a human geography / regional planning crossover :)

Okay cool, that makes sense! That's such a cool combination of degrees! 

4 minutes ago, dogmom said:

I'll be researching the school experiences of refugee and asylum seeking adolescents, specifically regarding how racism and discrimination might affect their education (special ed placement, time spent in reception classes, etc.) :)

I find it really interesting that you're focusing on adolescents in particular! I'm no expert in this area so please take everything I say with a grain of salt lol, but my impression has been that research on young refugee and asylum seekers tends to focus on children. But it seems logical that some of the difficulties and challenges with acclimatization would actually be tougher for teens than for kids. So cool, thank you for sharing! 

20 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

So cool! What area did you do your undergrad in, if you don't mind sharing?

My project is on youth climate activism! 

I find it really interesting that you're focusing on adolescents in particular! I'm no expert in this area so please take everything I say with a grain of salt lol, but my impression has been that research on young refugee and asylum seekers tends to focus on children. But it seems logical that some of the difficulties and challenges with acclimatization would actually be tougher for teens than for kids. So cool, thank you for sharing! 

Thank you so much, that means a lot!!! I'm focusing on adolescents because, yes, you are right, most of the research focuses on children! However, research shows that migration during teenage years is much more detrimental on mental health, wellbeing and education than migration during childhood. When you add the trauma that refugees and asylum seekers go through, teenagers are much more at risk to negative experiences! 

5 minutes ago, Kikiriki said:

So cool! What area did you do your undergrad in, if you don't mind sharing?

My project is on youth climate activism! 

I don't mind at all! My undergrad is a BSc Applied Human Nutrition, followed by a MSc in Applied Human Nutrition– which sounds very clinical (and it is) but my work is more social-food-justice driven. 

How about yourself? You've got my attention with youth climate activism. Do say more :) 

4 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

I don't mind at all! My undergrad is a BSc Applied Human Nutrition, followed by a MSc in Applied Human Nutrition– which sounds very clinical (and it is) but my work is more social-food-justice driven. 

How about yourself? You've got my attention with youth climate activism. Do say more :) 

Nice!! I'm an east coaster so Nova Scotia piqued my attention!

I did my BA in Psych and MA in Social Psych, PhD is in Social Research.

My project is a psychological/cross-cultural examination of how taking on the role of climate activist as a young person affects familial dynamics, personal development, etc. 

12 minutes ago, dogmom said:

Thank you so much, that means a lot!!! I'm focusing on adolescents because, yes, you are right, most of the research focuses on children! However, research shows that migration during teenage years is much more detrimental on mental health, wellbeing and education than migration during childhood. When you add the trauma that refugees and asylum seekers go through, teenagers are much more at risk to negative experiences! 

This is what I was thinking! This is such a valuable area to be contributing to, thanks for humouring me and sharing a bit more about it! 

48 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Wow everyone's projects are so cool--like it's said before, I don't envy the committees! My thesis is interdisciplinary, but largely in philosophy, and I'm considering how a virtue of vulnerability (first part is for me to position our ability to express vulnerability as an essential characteristic to sustaining moral duties/relationships) can be supported by human-centred explainable AI. Basically, AI that we can better understand and interact with.  

I thus chose the 7522 committee as it was the only one with philosophy, but I hope it wasn't too technical for any other committee members. But it is my intention to be well within "practical ethics" to give some action-guiding research to AI development.