SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

Hey Everyone!

I'm sure as most of you have found out recently, universities have forwarded their chosen Doctoral SSRHC proposals back towards the committees in order to be evaluated over the next couple of months! I'm a first time applicant currently finishing my Master's of Education at Queen's University and I was very fortunate to have my application selected! I wanted to create this thread so that we can be vulnerable, and share our thoughts, questions, and hopefully positive results going forward!  I can't wait to see how we all do! 

• 1 month later...

I'll come and join you here. Not a lot to say yet as it's several months out but it would be nice to have people to connect with during the long wait. I'm a third year doctoral student in Education in Saskatchewan. My first year applying was last year and I didn't make it out of my institution at that time which was disappointing but I am excited to have a chance this year. I'm hoping to get a SSHRC so I can extend my studies a bit and still receive funding. Great job getting through on your first try! Also, thanks for starting this thread nice and early. ?

• 2 months later...

Good luck, everyone!

This application was my second time making it to the final round. I was quite close to the last funded position last year, so my fingers are crossed! (Trying very hard not to get my hopes up, though.)

The 6+ month wait is BRUTAL.

Wishing everyone good luck. Such a long wait! At this point, I really just want to know the result so I can make some life plans. My friend got a doctoral SSHRC result around April 26th last year so likely still a bit to go but at least it's almost April!

11 hours ago, bluetopaz said:

Wishing everyone good luck. Such a long wait! At this point, I really just want to know the result so I can make some life plans. My friend got a doctoral SSHRC result around April 26th last year so likely still a bit to go but at least it's almost April!

Yes! I just double-checked my email, and results were released on 25 April. However, their website was glitching and most people couldn't even get into their account—it was so stressful.

Also, keep in mind that about a week before the results were uploaded, they sent an email with the subject "SSHRC Doctoral Awards Results." It incited instant panic, but the body of the email just said that results would be ready "soon" 😭. So, don't get your hopes up when you see an email from them!!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Featherless Biped said:

Has anybody heard anything? I applied directly to the agency but have not heard anything beyond an initial confirmation that they received my application, back in the fall.

Good luck everyone!🤞

No, nothing yet, but we should be hearing back from them within the next 10 days or so

Wishing everyone the very best as we continue to wait. One of my professors (and references) asked me if I knew yet because Vanier students were informed last week. I was like nope... guessing another 10 days or so. I'm prepared no matter what the result is but am eager to know so I can deal either way. I put in the best effort that I could so I feel good about that.

Just to add another data point in 2021, I found about my rejection on April 28th, but I think that year was slower because of the pandemic. 

I got an email from SSHRC in early April that year, saying that our results would be add to the extranet later in the month. 

1 hour ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

Can anyone who applied last year provide some clarity on how to create an extranet account? SSHRC still has not sent out extranet instructions and I would like to have an account already set up when results are posted.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can set up an account before they send the instructions out. The email from last year has a crazy-long link that led you to a page to set your password, which "finalized" your account and gave you your documents. The process didn't even work for most people last year and we had to find workarounds to access our results.

I've been checking my extranet account at least once a day to see if the documents get uploaded before they send out the email. 😅

Would someone who previously applied be able to break down how we actually see the results, whenever they become available? What exactly is the extranet? Is that the same portal where we submitted our CVs? 

4 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

Would someone who previously applied be able to break down how we actually see the results, whenever they become available? What exactly is the extranet? Is that the same portal where we submitted our CVs? 

From my vague recollection, the system is separate from the online system we applied to. 

In 2021, in early April we got an email saying results would be upload to the extranet soon. A bit after that we got an email with details on how to setup an account on the extranet. At some point after that the results appeared in the extranet, and people here started looking. Later in the month, we got the official email to actually check the extranet for results. 

Here is the exact first email text from 2021: 

Information regarding your doctoral application will be uploaded toward the end of April to the SSHRC Extranet for applicants.

You will receive a separate system-generated notification with steps on how to activate your extranet account in order to access the information.

If you encounter technical issues in accessing the SSHRC Extranet for Applicants, please contact the Helpdesk at webgrants@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca.

For any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us at fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca.   

Sincerely,

The Research Training Portfolio

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council

Again this was 2021, not sure how it went down in 2022, as I wasn't advanced to the national round last year. 

16 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

Marloe is correct—the system is separate from the one we applied to!

There will be a couple of documents. The most important one will have your results. (Interestingly, my result just said "not funded", but I found out through my school that I was "recommended but not funded" because I was so close to the last funded position in my group. I wonder if this result is the waitlist?)

There will be a breakdown of your scores across the two categories. You'll also get your position number, how many people were in your group, and what the last funded position number was. I think in my group last year it was something like there were 66/150 people funded, and I was number 70-something?

There's no feedback, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, literaturemovement said:

Marloe is correct—the system is separate from the one we applied to!

There will be a couple of documents. The most important one will have your results. (Interestingly, my result just said "not funded", but I found out through my school that I was "recommended but not funded" because I was so close to the last funded position in my group. I wonder if this result is the waitlist?)

There will be a breakdown of your scores across the two categories. You'll also get your position number, how many people were in your group, and what the last funded position number was. I think in my group last year it was something like there were 66/150 people funded, and I was number 70-something?

There's no feedback, unfortunately.

Thank you so much for sharing! I hope that it comes through for you this year after being so close last year! This is actually more information than I anticipated receiving (I figured it would just be a yes or a no) so I'm glad we get some context at least. 

2 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

Thank you so much for sharing! I hope that it comes through for you this year after being so close last year! This is actually more information than I anticipated receiving (I figured it would just be a yes or a no) so I'm glad we get some context at least. 

Thank you! I'm trying not to get my hopes up. The 6+ month wait is soooo hard.

Thanks to those who shared helpful information! Just to clarify, has no one received an email about the extranet? From what I gather here the process can change from year to year, but I haven’t yet received anything except the initial confirmation of receiving my application (after it went on to the national level). I seem to be unable to do anything but refresh my inbox lol

3 minutes ago, curiouscelery said:

Thanks to those who shared helpful information! Just to clarify, has no one received an email about the extranet? From what I gather here the process can change from year to year, but I haven’t yet received anything except the initial confirmation of receiving my application (after it went on to the national level). I seem to be unable to do anything but refresh my inbox lol

I haven't received anything yet either!

Last year, we got an email on 19 April that said the results would be out the following week. On 25 April (evening!) we got the email with the link to set up our extranet account and access our results.

3 minutes ago, curiouscelery said:

Thanks to those who shared helpful information! Just to clarify, has no one received an email about the extranet?

I've not received any news as of 21 April.