SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

1 minute ago, JB9797 said:

Wow everyone's projects are so cool--like it's said before, I don't envy the committees! My thesis is interdisciplinary, but largely in philosophy, and I'm considering how a virtue of vulnerability (first part is for me to position our ability to express vulnerability as an essential characteristic to sustaining moral duties/relationships) can be supported by human-centred explainable AI. Basically, AI that we can better understand and interact with.  

I thus chose the 7522 committee as it was the only one with philosophy, but I hope it wasn't too technical for any other committee members. But it is my intention to be well within "practical ethics" to give some action-guiding research to AI development.

Fascinating! So just to make sure I understand, your question is around programming AI to better respond to human vulnerability? 

Just now, chicha3maddy said:

Fascinating! So just to make sure I understand, your question is around programming AI to better respond to human vulnerability? 

So basically there's a new area of tech that makes Explainable AI 'human-centred" --explainable AI is another algorithm that tries to "unpack" a deeply complex algorithm that humans can't understand. For example, giving us an explanation of the reasons why the bank's algorithm rejected a loan application. So, looking at what must be done with this technology to sustain our vulnerable nature (e.g. the fact we make mistakes and need to correct ourselves); how interacting with this technology can support it and help us express our vulnerable human nature to others. So really bringing AI back down to human level because it is made for and used *by us*.

I am not a tech guy though, so it's going to be more conceptual analysis and relying on a lot of tech-based colleges to help me understand all the intricacies of AI ahah.

Thanks for the follow up by the way. I'm in the early stages of this thesis (did prior work as a researcher in AI ethics), so it really helps me to try and explain my currently vague positions to others.

2 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

So basically there's a new area of tech that makes Explainable AI 'human-centred" --explainable AI is another algorithm that tries to "unpack" a deeply complex algorithm that humans can't understand. For example, giving us an explanation of the reasons why the bank's algorithm rejected a loan application. So, looking at what must be done with this technology to sustain our vulnerable nature (e.g. the fact we make mistakes and need to correct ourselves); how interacting with this technology can support it and help us express our vulnerable human nature to others. So really bringing AI back down to human level because it is made for and used *by us*.

I am not a tech guy though, so it's going to be more conceptual analysis and relying on a lot of tech-based colleges to help me understand all the intricacies of AI ahah.

Thanks for the follow up by the way. I'm in the early stages of this thesis (did prior work as a researcher in AI ethics), so it really helps me to try and explain my currently vague positions to others.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate! :)) I'm always baffled and impressed by the sheer diversity that gets covered under the SSHRC umbrella. In general I think that considering the philosophical and ethical context of AI is such a compelling avenue that we're only just starting to properly explore. Your project sounds really interesting! 

8 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate! :)) I'm always baffled and impressed by the sheer diversity that gets covered under the SSHRC umbrella. In general I think that considering the philosophical and ethical context of AI is such a compelling avenue that we're only just starting to properly explore. Your project sounds really interesting! 

You're so sweet, thank you :)) Yes, I'm hoping that since AI ethics is very "à la mode" right now that it'll help my application.

1 hour ago, chicha3maddy said:

While we're all hanging out stressed, does anyone want to share what they're researching? I'd love to hear about some of people's passion projects! :)) I'm researching how to deliver improved human sexuality training for clinical and counselling psychologists. 

I'm researching how teacher activists are advocating for equitable public education (to counter global neoliberal educational reforms which promote practices such as standardization, privatization, and marketization) both within their teacher organizations and beyond through grassroots activism. Basically, I hope to inspire teachers to feel empowered (and not fearful) to advocate for public education so all students have equitable opportunities to learn and grow. Also seek to help people understand the importance of democratic education amidst increasingly neoliberal pressures.

11 minutes ago, BlueTopazToo said:

I'm researching how teacher activists are advocating for equitable public education (to counter global neoliberal educational reforms which promote practices such as standardization, privatization, and marketization) both within their teacher organizations and beyond through grassroots activism. Basically, I hope to inspire teachers to feel empowered (and not fearful) to advocate for public education so all students have equitable opportunities to learn and grow. Also seek to help people understand the importance of democratic education amidst increasingly neoliberal pressures.

This is awesome! Are you looking only at teachers who self-identify as activists already? It made me wonder if activism is a tough buy-in for teachers who are already so overworked and underappreciated within education systems. 

On 4/21/2023 at 1:34 PM, curiouscelery said:

While we're all hanging out stressed, does anyone want to share what they're researching? I'd love to hear about some of people's passion projects! :)) I'm researching how to deliver improved human sexuality training for clinical and counselling psychologists.

I am investigating which linguistic (e.g. word length) and extralinguistic factors (e.g. gender, age, social attitudes) are most associated with the spread or non-spread of neologisms (new words) using multivariate statistics and a big data approach (massive amounts of Twitter and newspaper data). Knowing which factors favour neologistic spread will be very useful for language planning organisations around the world (including Quebec), as one of their roles is to coin official terms. Hopefully my work will help prevent organisations from proposing "what-were-they-even-thinking" terms like "égoportrait" --the official French translation for "selfie". (Yup, it sounds just as judgemental in French). 

Edited by ALanguageGuy

26 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

This is awesome! Are you looking only at teachers who self-identify as activists already? It made me wonder if activism is a tough buy-in for teachers who are already so overworked and underappreciated within education systems. 

Thanks. Yes, I'm actually finished data collection as I'm in my 3rd year but I am an activist myself so I personally asked teachers I know who are or have been involved with our teacher federation and also enact activism beyond. Because of perceived risks, it was important that I had teachers' trust so they felt comfortable to share candidly. Interestingly, no one that I asked to take part even questioned whether they identified as a teacher activist or not. I talk a lot about teacher identity in my lit review so this is a good point. Teachers in my study definitely brought up the issues with work-life balance but believe that if we don't speak up, things will continue to get worse so activism needs to be prioritized.

Does anyone who has applied previously know if you have to do a whole new password etc; or do they put this year's results in the same place as last year's?

Is it worth checking with all the fury of my ADHD??

Edited by KayCee

Different question: is the extranet back up now from when it was closed down for maintenance? I'm wondering if it's even possible to get the results today. I am also desperately hoping that my jaw will be able to unclench itself sooner than later lol

edit: I'm asking because I can't access the extranet yet -- first time applicant

Edited by curiouscelery

3 minutes ago, curiouscelery said:

Different question: is the extranet back up now from when it was closed down for maintenance? I'm wondering if it's even possible to get the results today. I am also desperately hoping that my jaw will be able to unclench itself sooner than later lol

edit: I'm asking because I can't access the extranet yet -- first time applicant

I am able to access the extranet through my account from last year. I've been checking periodically, but no documents have been uploaded yet. The extranet is loading very, very slowly today!

16 minutes ago, literaturemovement said:

I am able to access the extranet through my account from last year. I've been checking periodically, but no documents have been uploaded yet. The extranet is loading very, very slowly today!

I am sincerely hoping this all points to results being accessible very very soon!!!

4 minutes ago, dogmom said:

I am sincerely hoping this all points to results being accessible very very soon!!!

I sure hope so - I've been refreshing the SSHRC hashtag on twitter every few minutes just in case anyone has posted any info

I just wanted to say that I have used up all my upvotes today but appreciate everyone sharing their research project ideas and would like them all if I could! How do I get more upvotes?! Lol.

This is my first time going through and I don't think that SSHRC has ever sent me a direct email because it all went through the university so no idea what to look for but guessing I'll know when i see it.

8 minutes ago, BlueTopazToo said:

I just wanted to say that I have used up all my upvotes today but appreciate everyone sharing their research project ideas and would like them all if I could! How do I get more upvotes?! Lol.

This is my first time going through and I don't think that SSHRC has ever sent me a direct email because it all went through the university so no idea what to look for but guessing I'll know when i see it.

Likewise--no longer to like any more posts, but I appreciate the community atmosphere and solidarity everyone has put in while waiting. Let's hope the results will be in soon!

12 minutes ago, dogmom said:

I just got word from a friend that CIHR results are out!!!! Hopefully SSHRC will hop on the bandwagon...

I am still not seeing them on research net, anyone has a screenshot?

Just now, dogmom said:

SSHRC is not out yet, just CIHR, unfortunately 😕 

mmm, I am waiting for CIHR too. But nothing on my side yet

image.png.e4a59b7ea469399f68c41acdc2043004.png

Usually CIHR is one week before SSHRC.  So I'm going to assume we are waiting till Friday.

Which is a pain since tomorrow is my last day to change my summer grad settlement if I do win.  I did okay last year, so we will see.

7 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Usually CIHR is one week before SSHRC.  So I'm going to assume we are waiting till Friday.

Which is a pain since tomorrow is my last day to change my summer grad settlement if I do win.  I did okay last year, so we will see.

I'm in a similar situation. If I get an award, I'll have to go on education leave from my research job with the Government of Canada. And my current leave ends in May, so the decision needs to happen soon.😬

Good luck!

Edited by AllisdairJoseph

3 minutes ago, KayCee said:

It depends on the years I think! I'm really hopeful it'll happen tonight😅

2 minutes ago, dogmom said:

It depends on the years I think! I'm really hopeful it'll happen tonight😅

6 minutes ago, KayCee said:

I think CIHR is late this year (usually it's more like mid-April) and there's usually a bit of time between CIHR and NSERC results, but the NSERC applicants are slowly getting their results starting today too. So it makes me hopeful that maybe we won't have to wait the full week at least... that would be torturous. 

7 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Yes you may be right. Also given that its 6pm EST, assuming some manual human work goes into posting the results, we may be nearing their end of the work day...