SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

18 minutes ago, bluetopaz said:

This wait is so long and excruciating. Would be nice to know what day results actually come out then maybe I could relax about it a little. Maybe.

giphy.gif

Same here. Been checking my email like crazy hoping for an update.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, in previous years, they've sent out an email to inform us that the results would be available in a week's time. But we haven't received that email, and a week's time puts us out to April 30th already... So either they've changed the length of the time between emails, they've scrapped that first email entirely, or we might be waiting until May (I read somewhere that they inform students of the results in April 90% of the time).

But I'm probably overthinking this, as I'm sure many of us are!

9 hours ago, nerd4planning said:

Same here. Been checking my email like crazy hoping for an update.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, in previous years, they've sent out an email to inform us that the results would be available in a week's time. But we haven't received that email, and a week's time puts us out to April 30th already... So either they've changed the length of the time between emails, they've scrapped that first email entirely, or we might be waiting until May (I read somewhere that they inform students of the results in April 90% of the time).

But I'm probably overthinking this, as I'm sure many of us are!

Definitely not by yourself in this cycle, I've had the exact same thoughts! I heard that the email caused a lot of chaos last year, so I'm very much hoping they just decided not to bother. If we have to wait over another week I might just explode in the meantime lol 

I also read that the CIHR applicants have an "anticipated notice of decision" date of April 25th. There is often some discrepancy between councils, but they do try to get the results out on at least a similar-ish timeframe, so it would be strange for us to have to wait over a week past when CIHR results come out I think... maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though. 

Hello all! New to the forum and also equally in suspense waiting for our response (first year applying--direct application as at a foreign institution). If it helps anyone's stress, I noticed that the data on SSHRC doctoral fellowships acceptance is around 20-25% out of the 2000 and some applicants per year. I recently, however, stumbled upon this document where the rate is actually around 43% because CGS and SSHRC doctoral fellowship numbers together (we're equally considered for both) (https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2022/crsh-sshrc/CR1-19-2021-eng.pdf page 28), so out of the just over 2000 applicants, almost half received funding! Unless I'm understanding the data wrong, this provided me with *some* temporary stress relief.

16 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

Hello all! New to the forum and also equally in suspense waiting for our response (first year applying--direct application as at a foreign institution). If it helps anyone's stress, I noticed that the data on SSHRC doctoral fellowships acceptance is around 20-25% out of the 2000 and some applicants per year. I recently, however, stumbled upon this document where the rate is actually around 43% because CGS and SSHRC doctoral fellowship numbers together (we're equally considered for both) (https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2022/crsh-sshrc/CR1-19-2021-eng.pdf page 28), so out of the just over 2000 applicants, almost half received funding! Unless I'm understanding the data wrong, this provided me with *some* temporary stress relief.

Yes! They included this information in the results documents last year:

Applications: 2294
Fellowships Offered: 1077 (46.9%)
Fellowships Not Offered: 1217 (53.1%)

Just now, literaturemovement said:

Yes! They included this information in the results documents last year:

Applications: 2294
Fellowships Offered: 1077 (46.9%)
Fellowships Not Offered: 1217 (53.1%)

Ah that's great--thanks for the info/confirmation !

Is there a chance there could be delays given the current federal public servant strike? I don't see SSHRC as departments directly affected, but perhaps there could be something going on there... (totally support the workers by the way, not complaining if this is the case!)

54 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

Is there a chance there could be delays given the current federal public servant strike? I don't see SSHRC as departments directly affected, but perhaps there could be something going on there... (totally support the workers by the way, not complaining if this is the case!)

That's a really good point! From what I can tell, PSAC members working for SSHRC have a collective agreement directly with SSHRC, so I doubt they're on strike. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the strike is indirectly causing delays with award notification.

34 minutes ago, SwagMaster said:

This feels like it'll be a long week 😬

If we selected a May start for the funding any idea when we would recieve the funding? 

From my understanding, we would have to quickly accept and the first payment would be made sometime by the end of May.

Edited by JB9797

10 hours ago, nerd4planning said:

That's a really good point! From what I can tell, PSAC members working for SSHRC have a collective agreement directly with SSHRC, so I doubt they're on strike. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the strike is indirectly causing delays with award notification.

I considered this as well. I fully support workers if they are on strike and would be okay with a delay. I have mentally prepared myself for this possibility but the SSHRC Twitter account is still active if that means anything. If we don't hear anything by this Friday, that could be the issue but, otherwise, it should be soon! It seems like the wait gets harder the closer we get.

This is perhaps a stupid question, but does anyone know from prior experience if the number of months completed before applying has any weight on the decision (beyond the determining the dollar amount we would get)? For example, I had 0 months as I didn't officially start my PhD until January 1st, so I'm within the 0-12 month duration of the fellowship. I have previous research experience, publications, etc., but don't know if the "0 months" will be an issue...

From what I understand, fewer awards overall go to first and second years. I don't think this has to do with exactly when you start; it's more about how you would naturally become a more competitive applicant with more contributions and research work as you advance in your PhD. 

1 hour ago, JB9797 said:

This is perhaps a stupid question, but does anyone know from prior experience if the number of months completed before applying has any weight on the decision (beyond the determining the dollar amount we would get)? For example, I had 0 months as I didn't officially start my PhD until January 1st, so I'm within the 0-12 month duration of the fellowship. I have previous research experience, publications, etc., but don't know if the "0 months" will be an issue...

They use this number to calculate how many years of funding you get if you are successful. My understanding is that they loosely take into consideration what stage of your program you're in when you apply, but usually more awards go to upper-year students.

38 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

From what I understand, fewer awards overall go to first and second years. I don't think this has to do with exactly when you start; it's more about how you would naturally become a more competitive applicant with more contributions and research work as you advance in your PhD. 

Thanks! Yes that's what I thought too -- just had a mini panic that I entered it in wrong, 0 months as I started January 1, 2023 (taking into account application was done in 2022, so nothing by December 31st).

Although what is interesting is that when I looked at previous fellowship holders, all the ones abroad in France received the full 48 month amount.

5 minutes ago, literaturemovement said:

They use this number to calculate how many years of funding you get if you are successful. My understanding is that they loosely take into consideration what stage of your program you're in when you apply, but usually more awards go to upper-year students.

Thanks!

I'm sure we are all just so tired of waiting at this point...I checked the extranet website this morning and it's doing maintenance until 12:00 pm today. Fingers crossed it won't be too long afterwards...Also, the CIHR's anticipated date of results release is today...hopefully the SSHRC will be following the same delays😅

Edited by dogmom

42 minutes ago, dogmom said:

I'm sure we are all just so tired of waiting at this point...I checked the extranet website this morning and it's doing maintenance until 12:00 pm today. Fingers crossed it won't be too long afterwards...Also, the CIHR's anticipated date of results release is today...hopefully the SSHRC will be following the same delays😅

This is good to know! 12pm EST? 

43 minutes ago, dogmom said:

I hope you're right and it is today. It wouldn't be so painful if SSHRC would release a solid annual date– e.g., results are posted annually on the last Monday of April–or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, dogmom said:

So glad to know I'm not the only one who has been violently procrastinating because I can't focus on anything but when are these freaking results coming out lol.

Haha same! I've already worked out and cleaned my house and now I'm trying to get some actual work done without checking this site and the extranet every 5 minutes