Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

1 hour ago, TabularDots said:

Congrats! Are you applying for the sociocultural track?

Thanks :) Yup, my areas of focus are sociocultural and medical anthro.

As far as I know, the sociocultural interviews are happening on the 15th and 17th. I think the archaeology interviews will be conducted earlier. 

Not sure what to expect?

Edited by substitutemeat2022

29 minutes ago, anthromf said:

Does anyone know what subfield the UMass, Amherst interviews are for? I applied for the archaeology track, but I haven't heard from UMass at all since applying, so I'm wondering if it is a silent rejection from them... 

Hi, I was accepted to UMass yesterday and I'm sociocultural. I know the department just reviewed their applications last week so I would imagine more interviews will be coming soon! 

Edited by AnthroPollie

14 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Thanks :) Yup, my areas of focus are sociocultural and medical anthro.

As far as I know, the sociocultural interviews are happening on the 15th and 17th. I think the archaeology interviews will be conducted earlier. 

Not sure what to expect?

Ahhhh it'll be okay! I have no idea what to expect either LOL but let's hope they're asking for an overview of our proposed projects! I am happy to share questions with you after mine, if that'll be of any help! :) I'm going to go about it like it's a conversation and they are curious about our research interests. That's all there is to it :)

15 hours ago, AnthroPollie said:

Hi, I was accepted to UMass yesterday and I'm sociocultural. I know the department just reviewed their applications last week so I would imagine more interviews will be coming soon! 

I'm biological and also received an unofficial acceptance over the weekend. However my POI said the official offers from the grad school might take another week or so. 

18 hours ago, AnthroPollie said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I appreciate you getting back to me and providing a bit of hope. I saw the other response from the biological anthropologist, too, so fingers crossed that they don't interview the archaeologists or I hear from them soon! 

3 minutes ago, anthromf said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I appreciate you getting back to me and providing a bit of hope. I saw the other response from the biological anthropologist, too, so fingers crossed that they don't interview the archaeologists or I hear from them soon! 

Thank you! Definitely don't lose hope! I think it's pretty common for arch programs to accept without any interviews. Sending positive vibes your way!

7 hours ago, TabularDots said:

Ahhhh it'll be okay! I have no idea what to expect either LOL but let's hope they're asking for an overview of our proposed projects! I am happy to share questions with you after mine, if that'll be of any help! :) I'm going to go about it like it's a conversation and they are curious about our research interests. That's all there is to it :)

I would love to hear what they ask you as well! I am interviewing on the 15th and am scared out of my little mind haha

2 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

This is exactly the mindset that I'm going into it with :) 

25 minutes ago, ohgodwhy said:

I would love to hear what they ask you as well! I am interviewing on the 15th and am scared out of my little mind haha

Hi both! Interview over! I had way overprepared for this so I did end up blanking quite a few times. But the team was really understanding. It was the program director, and three other professors from the archaeo department. They were very kind. First they introduced themselves, then they asked me about my project straight up. I was expecting an introduction from myself, or provide background details etc but they just wanted to know about the project. Then after explaining it, I had a few questions about whether there is something I look forward to studying theory/methodology wise. I said I can't be specific since I'm applying to the program to gain knowledge about it, so I ended up listing courses I am interested in taking. After that, they asked "why archaeology, and what faculty are you looking forward to working with?". Finally, they asked whether I had any questions. 

I blanked a lot, and looked at my notes and they did not mind at all. They were encouraging and carried the conversation. I am hoping for a positive response! :) Hope this helps! It's okay to be nervous, just tell them that upfront.  There's only so much you can do in 20 minutes. 

6 hours ago, AnthroPollie said:

Thank you! Definitely don't lose hope! I think it's pretty common for arch programs to accept without any interviews. Sending positive vibes your way!

I'm trying my best not to! That's generally my understanding about archaeology, too, but I wasn't sure whether UMass interviewed all subfields. It's one of my top choices, so I'm definitely trying to keep a positive outlook! I appreciate the good vibes :)

16 hours ago, marktheonly said:

Hi there, has anyone heard from Brandeis? I saw some rejections/interviews on the result page but still got nothing......

Just got a rejection from Brandeis a couple of hours back. Sorry for not being frequent over this thread. I had been too excited about the acceptance offer I got and just wanted to take a break and engage in other things instead of thinking about grad school application decisions. I also got waitlisted by Indiana University Bloomington. And rejected by quite a few schools.

1a/0i/1w/6r/4p

22 minutes ago, tkb32932333 said:

I had written to the DGS at Yale and they said that I should hear something around 15th Feb. I am incredibly nervous as I know they have conducted interviews but I wasn't shortlisted. Should I just assume a soft rejection or should I just wait. I had already spoken to my PI there not one but two faculty. 

How do you know they have fully conducted interviews, I guess we saw one update but usually there are a lot more. Just wondering :) thank you for reaching out 

8 minutes ago, ohgodwhy said:

How do you know they have fully conducted interviews, I guess we saw one update but usually there are a lot more. Just wondering :) thank you for reaching out 

This was my impression too; for this year the only interview and acceptance to Yale were posted by the same user. They might have been a special case or something. (I don’t want to admit it’s over ?)

Edited by Humeralhead

2 hours ago, ohgodwhy said:

I am just trying to keep my hopes as low as possible. Don't want to end up getting hurt. This valentine day is so cruel 

Hi ! I had an interview for Yale something like three weeks ago and didn't hear anything back, had a weird message from a POI at McGill and do not understand if I'm in or not haha - so let's just wait, we all got this !! 

2 hours ago, Ouriah said:

Hi ! I had an interview for Yale something like three weeks ago and didn't hear anything back, had a weird message from a POI at McGill and do not understand if I'm in or not haha - so let's just wait, we all got this !! 

I don't know what they are doing. Were you contacted by the Anthro department or the Environmental Studies department?