Fall 2023 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicants Thread

Regarding UMN Biostatistics, I emailed the admissions team about two weeks ago requesting my application decision timeline. The team responded saying, "we hope to make a decision on your application by the end of January." Surprisingly, some domestic and international applicants have already received official admission letters. What's really happening? I hope I have not been waiting to receive a rejection email from the admissions committee.

I just (like 2 days ago) received a formal offer from UNC-CH, as well as an interview from the University of Southern California.  UNC applicants -- don't lose hope!  It seems like they are sending out acceptances in rounds. 

I have not heard from U Minnesota or BU.  

(all PhD applications)

On 1/9/2023 at 1:49 PM, LWAN said:

How is your interview going? Do you know how many students got interview? I know the class size of last year is 10. I hope the interview is easy, not like Duke or Columbia, 25% passing prob.

The interview was one of the longer ones I have had, they asked a lot of in depth questions about my previous coursework rather than research interests.  Not sure about how many people received the interview, but it seems like a small-ish pool. 

22 minutes ago, mtob said:

The interview was one of the longer ones I have had, they asked a lot of in depth questions about my previous coursework rather than research interests.  Not sure about how many people received the interview, but it seems like a small-ish pool. 

23 minutes ago, mtob said:

Thank you for your reply. Which one do you prefer? Rice or UNC? I received an interview from Brown recently. I believe we will all have a good result after the anxiety of application.

49 minutes ago, mtob said:

I just (like 2 days ago) received a formal offer from UNC-CH, as well as an interview from the University of Southern California.  UNC applicants -- don't lose hope!  It seems like they are sending out acceptances in rounds. 

(all PhD applications)

I knew somebody received offer from Boston University before. I guess we don't need to wait for BU's response any more.

9 hours ago, AHK_Biostatistics said:

Regarding UMN Biostatistics, I emailed the admissions team about two weeks ago requesting my application decision timeline. The team responded saying, "we hope to make a decision on your application by the end of January." Surprisingly, some domestic and international applicants have already received official admission letters. What's really happening? I hope I have not been waiting to receive a rejection email from the admissions committee.

I think they don't give all acceptances alltogether, it's is kind of in batches. During Fall 2021, I know a couple of applicants one of whom got offer on January 12, two got wailisted on Jan 12 and one got offer on Jan 18. But, everytime I see international acceptances I am really freaking out anticipating a rejection ?. Just now, when I checked gradcafe I have seen one more international acceptances on Jan 14 (today). I don't know when they started sending the offers last year but there was a large pool of applicants who were rejected on January 26-27. By the way, if any of you are domestic I guess domestic acceptances normally comes very fast (many time even in late December)

1 hour ago, LWAN said:

Thank you for your reply. Which one do you prefer? Rice or UNC? I received an interview from Brown recently. I believe we will all have a good result after the anxiety of application.

Congratualtions @LWAN for Brown Biostats, and Congratulations @mtob for UNC. I don't think there is any doubt that you should select UNC over Rice if you get full funding. I did not know that the Rice interview will be like this. 

Well, for me things are not going good. Started journey with a rejection and yet to hear from many schools which otherwise have sent several interview invites like Rice, Boston, UC Irvine. 

Anyone who is still waiting to hear from Rice? Given that they sent some more interview invites on Jan first week I guess there might be one or two more batches, but I'm not sure. On the other hand, what I know about Boston is that they normally send interview to a small pool of students during December itself. And, if we don't hear anything it seems like a bad sign as we will either hear nothing till a long time when they finally sends rejection. Same with Harvard Biostats and JHU Biostats. Boston, despite its not so high ranking, I guess gets a lots of applicants because of the location and tie up with industries. So, I heard many people getting JHU got rejected from BU. Now, I have completely forgot that I even applied to BU. 

50 minutes ago, biostat_student4 said:

Congratualtions @LWAN for Brown Biostats, and Congratulations @mtob for UNC. I don't think there is any doubt that you should select UNC over Rice if you get full funding. I did not know that the Rice interview will be like this. 

Well, for me things are not going good. Started journey with a rejection and yet to hear from many schools which otherwise have sent several interview invites like Rice, Boston, UC Irvine. 

Anyone who is still waiting to hear from Rice? Given that they sent some more interview invites on Jan first week I guess there might be one or two more batches, but I'm not sure. On the other hand, what I know about Boston is that they normally send interview to a small pool of students during December itself. And, if we don't hear anything it seems like a bad sign as we will either hear nothing till a long time when they finally sends rejection. Same with Harvard Biostats and JHU Biostats. Boston, despite its not so high ranking, I guess gets a lots of applicants because of the location and tie up with industries. So, I heard many people getting JHU got rejected from BU. Now, I have completely forgot that I even applied to BU. 

Thank you for your analysis @biostat_student4. For Rice, I knew the timeline. They accomplished all the interviews on 1/13. And they will give feedback in hurry, I guess on 1/17 Monday. Then, in the second week of Feb, they will invite students passing interview to have a campus visit. However, I knew Rice gave interview in April last year. So I guess there are not many interviewee in the waitlist.

18 hours ago, LWAN said:

I knew somebody received offer from Boston University before. I guess we don't need to wait for BU's response any more.

Is this for Stats or Biostats? (I'm assuming biostats given that stats deadline for application is in jan?)

19 hours ago, mtob said:

(all PhD applications)

Same question here, are UNC-CH acceptances for stats or biostats program?

On 1/3/2023 at 1:48 AM, biostat_student4 said:

Thanks. When will be the interview by the way? It will be very much helpful if you share your interview experiences after the interview. ? 

Sorry for late response. Yes, I had the interview last week. Most of the questions are quite behavioral and they did ask which math stat book I used for the course. Describe the research, why Rice, some questions related to my background etc.

Got the interview invite from Berkeley Stat today. I was told by someone who already in this program that the ranking of the candidates might have already been decided prior to interview. The interview will be behavioral as the committee described in the invite email.

@Max_ZNThanks for sharing your interview experience. While it will not be helpful for Rice as they are done perhaps with shortlisting all the applicants. By the way @crunch_numbers, I just saw someone posted getting accepted into UMich Biostat Master's program who initially applied to their PhD Program. Maybe we should hear more in the weeks to come. 

10 hours ago, ysh0624 said:

In what forums have you seen that?

The forum for my country's circle. But he didn't list any detailed information, such as whether he received/will receive a bachelor's degree from a US institution.

1 minute ago, mas13920 said:

@Max_ZN Does your friend in the program know if all interview invites are out? (And, if all accepted candidates are interviewed?)

Trying to figure out if it's safe to assume Berkeley is a rejection.

He said typically Berkeley would send out all the interview during 2 days. However I do not know anyone else for now who also get the interview invite. It might still be some possibilities?

34 minutes ago, mas13920 said:

Gotcha. Sounds like I should expect a rejection then.

Good luck with the interview!

But yesterday (January 16) was a Federal State holiday if I am not wrong. So I guess we should expect several interview invites to come from today (Jan 17) onwards. 

@LWAN, @mtob Today I saw one interview invite from Boson Biostatistics. So should we still expect something ? Other People applying to Boston who did not hear anything:- What do you think ? 

Also, any of you got the interview invite from University of Colorado Denver Biostatistics PhD ? I got one this morning. 

Edited by biostat_student4

24 minutes ago, biostat_student4 said:

@LWAN, @mtob Today I saw one interview invite from Boson Biostatistics. So should we still expect something ? Other People applying to Boston who did not hear anything:- What do you think ? 

Also, any of you got the interview invite from University of Colorado Denver Biostatistics PhD ? I got one this morning. 

Congratulation for your interview !

I have a friend received the offer from Boston U 1 or 2 weeks ago. I guess Boston U has a long interview process. So it is reasonable to expect it. However, Boston has a lot of applications every year, so I don't have much confidence on it.

9 hours ago, LWAN said:

Congratulation for your interview !

I have a friend received the offer from Boston U 1 or 2 weeks ago. I guess Boston U has a long interview process. So it is reasonable to expect it. However, Boston has a lot of applications every year, so I don't have much confidence on it.

Thanks. Oh, I see. Yeah, so the odds are not that much may be ?. Actually you are correct that they have many applicants and it's somewhat difficult to get compared to its ranking. I was actually genuinely interested in them since they had many people on genetics. Anyway, Thanks for your input.