Fall 2023 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicants Thread

1 hour ago, PLessPoint05 said:

Does anyone know if UWash admits will all get an interview? Is it a lost cause? ? 

My understanding from past people who have gotten into UWash is that not all accepted are interviewed (for Statistics, not sure about Biostat), might have changed since they got in though (was a couple years ago).

8 hours ago, ag112 said:

Anyone interview for the Quant Science program at MD Anderson yet? Mind sharing your experience?

Have they given interview invite? I've not seen it in gradcafe. Maybe I missed. But, last year I guess they sent rejections in early February if I'm not wrong. 

People who are yet to hear from Minnesota Biostat, did you try to contact the departement? Any lead on when they might give decisions? Last year there were a wave of rejections in January last. I'm not sure if it will be safe to think about a hidden waitlist if you don't hear anything till now? I'm asking it for one of my friends.

I got an rejection from BU (Biostat) after withdrawing my application! Maybe that's their way of cancelling your application ?

Edited by biostat_student4

Probably going to decline the MS offer. They said in the letter they are unable to offer graduate assistantship at this point. The letter was super heartwarming though. I'm also waiting on NC State and UMich Biostats! Hope we both get in!! Also, congrats on getting into UMN biostats PhD, I've heard nothing but great things about the program!

Edited by Counterfactual

Thanks for your wishes. Yeah, it is difficult without some amount of funding. I have heard that a couple of biostat departments like UMich, Duke provide assistantships to MS students too. That's why I asked. Anyway, let's hope for the best. I wish you get in Umich and NC State. 

4 hours ago, Filfio said:

For those who got an interview with Yale for Phd ini statistics, did the Professor told you your ranking among all applicant?

And, did the chair department wrote to you another email one day after?

Yep, both these things happened to me.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, randomwalker said:

Also received an acceptance this morning from UC Irvine after an interview on 1/23. I was told they are aiming for a cohort size of 10-12, so maybe other rounds are coming later? It seems like their yield is about 30-40% so one might expect them to admit around 30 students. 

Question for you @randomwalker, were you also contacted by a faculty member from UC Irvine with a personalized email recently? I am wondering if this is customary for the department or a recruiting tactic. Thanks!

8 hours ago, conflitz said:

I really have no idea what it means unfortunately. Hopefully it's a good sign.

I also got an interview while the professor does not mention anything about ranking. Is your interviewer the department chair or your poi mentioned in SOP?

2 hours ago, tts said:

I also got an interview while the professor does not mention anything about ranking. Is your interviewer the department chair or your poi mentioned in SOP?

With the director of Director of Graduate Studies, which in my case was also a POI.

1 hour ago, Filfio said:

With the director of Director of Graduate Studies, which in my case was also a POI.

By the way, what do you mean by POI ? Is it a person with whom you already made contact before applying ? Or, it is just a person whose name was mentioned in your SOP in particular? 

39 minutes ago, biostat_student4 said:

By the way, what do you mean by POI ? Is it a person with whom you already made contact before applying ? Or, it is just a person whose name was mentioned in your SOP in particular? 

A person I just mentioned in my SOP. However, I think he did almost all the interviews

On 2/5/2023 at 3:05 PM, prgp said:

Question for you @randomwalker, were you also contacted by a faculty member from UC Irvine with a personalized email recently? I am wondering if this is customary for the department or a recruiting tactic. Thanks!

Also received one. I appreciate how well-thought out it was but it seems a bit atypical for programs to do this. 

1 hour ago, stat_0011 said:

Does anyone who applied for Stats PhD at the University of Wisconsin-Madison get the update? Last several years, they released the offer in late Jan or early Feb, but no news this year? 

I haven't heard anything since early Jan when they sent a message about fall transcript uploads. I would guess their decisions will come out very soon though based on timing from previous years. It seems that in the past, they typically released all of their acceptances within the range of a few days, then all of the rejections/waitlists a few days after that (but this is a bit of a guess based on what I saw in posts here)

Edited by crunch_numbers
clarification

Anyone still waiting to hear back from UMinn Biostats? I saw couple posts last week and it seems like they have accepted a lot of PhDs already. Someone above also mentioned that they are unable to offer graduate assistantship at this point, do y'all think that this means they have finished accepting students?

On 2/7/2023 at 6:47 AM, randomwalker said:

Also received one. I appreciate how well-thought out it was but it seems a bit atypical for programs to do this. 

I agree, and it does seem that those that got interviews and accepted are on their high priority list.

6 minutes ago, em_biostat said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has heard any updates from Emory or UPitt, those are the only schools I am waiting to hear back from and I haven't heard a word. Or maybe someone can tell me the timeline for these schools from past years? Thanks!

Hey! Emory had in-person + virtual interviews last weekend for biostats. Not sure about UPitt, though.