Fall 2023 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicants Thread

2 hours ago, conflitz said:

Which email address did you contact? They usually don't respond when I email them.

doctoral-programs@wharton.upenn.edu , I also just realized the information they provided can be found in the FAQs under their graduate admission page (for Wharton)

On 3/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, thermoflask101 said:

I just emailed Wharton's doctoral program, and they said the committee meets late February and early March, with a final decision deadline of late March. Where did you get this (above) information?

Are you sure you are talking about Upenn (Wharton) PhD Statistics program? Several of my friends have received offers as well as rejections. UPenn Statistics never does so late (this year was expection) while releasing the first (or, only) round of offers. It mostly came around last week of Jan during last two years at least. I'm not sure if the person whom you mailed is saying about second round of offers or some other program, but not Statistics.

1 hour ago, biostat_student4 said:

Are you sure you are talking about Upenn (Wharton) PhD Statistics program? Several of my friends have received offers as well as rejections. UPenn Statistics never does so late (this year was expection) while releasing the first (or, only) round of offers. It mostly came around last week of Jan during last two years at least. I'm not sure if the person whom you mailed is saying about second round of offers or some other program, but not Statistics.

Huh, strange. I'm a domestic student if that makes a difference, but I still have yet to receive an update on my application - that is, I don't see a 'decision' under my online application. 

5 hours ago, thermoflask101 said:

Huh, strange. I'm a domestic student if that makes a difference, but I still have yet to receive an update on my application - that is, I don't see a 'decision' under my online application. 

Yes, that may be the distinction. Most of the people I know getting offers/rejects are international.

3 hours ago, thermoflask101 said:

I see. Have you heard back anything from Columbia PhD Stats? I don't know if first round offers have been given yet for that.

As far as I know, they have not released decisions yet.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:50 PM, thermoflask101 said:

I see. Have you heard back anything from Columbia PhD Stats? I don't know if first round offers have been given yet for that.

I have not. I know that they have sent out some interview invites, although it is unclear whether they interview all applicants or only international ones.

1 hour ago, FrickinPolisci said:

Hi!

has anyone received an invitation to visitation day at UCLA? Does that mean we are going to receive an offer or have they sent it out to everyone? (Applied to phd in stats).

1st round offers and visitation day (which is remote, I believe) have been sent out. 2nd round offers should be coming out in mid-march.

They told me that if you don't here back from them, than probably don't expect an offer from them.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:49 AM, thermoflask101 said:

I'm also a domestic student and I received by decision in mid February. Not sure about others.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, FrickinPolisci said:

Hi!

has anyone received an invitation to visitation day at UCLA? Does that mean we are going to receive an offer or have they sent it out to everyone? (Applied to phd in stats).

I got the invitation to visit day and then checked my spam folder and found the admit email there. Maybe the same for you! If so, congratulations!

Does anyone know whether UNC-Chapel Hill, U of Wisconsin, Michigan (Ann Arbor), and Minnesota gave out all their admissions? I haven't heard anything from them and only saw 1 or 2 admission results for each university.  They are all for Statistics Ph.D.

Edited by whatfuture

20 hours ago, PhysicsKid said:

I'm also a domestic student and I received by decision in mid February. Not sure about others.

I got the invitation to visit day and then checked my spam folder and found the admit email there. Maybe the same for you! If so, congratulations!

Just to clarify, this was your experience as part of the 2021 fall cycle, right? Based on this year's website info, it appears that the graduate committee for Wharton is meeting late Feb and early March, so decisions realistically aren't going to be released for another week.

1 hour ago, thermoflask101 said:

Just to clarify, this was your experience as part of the 2021 fall cycle, right? Based on this year's website info, it appears that the graduate committee for Wharton is meeting late Feb and early March, so decisions realistically aren't going to be released for another week.

Hi! Sorry for the confusion. I applied to Masters programs in 2021 and PhDs this cycle. I got my Wharton Statistics PhD decision in mid-February and it seems based on the results section of theGradCafe that other decisions were sent out around then as well. 

I can also confirm that some Columbia Stats PhD decisions came out today.

Edited by PhysicsKid

On 3/2/2023 at 4:00 AM, prgp said:

From UCLA:

"Thanks for reaching out. I can tell you that the first round of admission offers have gone out this week. If you do not hear from us by mid-March, it is likely you will not be offered admission. However, we will send everyone notice at some point once the 23-24 cohort is finalized and admission is officially closed. Thank you for your patience."

Good luck to everyone that applied to the UCLA Statistics PH.D. 

I also sent an email to ask the committe, but did not get reply.  It looks like ucla is hiring a lot less this year

1 hour ago, Alison123 said:

I also sent an email to ask the committe, but did not get reply.  It looks like ucla is hiring a lot less this year

Yup.. the UC strikes increased pay but lower the number of students admitted.

5 hours ago, explodingpineapple said:

Are there any other applicants to Canadian universities for the MSc Statistics? I'm talking about UBC and UofT in particular. I've been accepted to Waterloo over a month ago.

heyy was there an interview for waterloo? My boyfriend applied to waterloo, UBC, UofT and haven't heard back from any of them yet. For UofT I think they will have the first wave of offers next friday (based on info from previous years)

Just now, zcx189 said:

heyy was there an interview for waterloo? My boyfriend applied to waterloo, UBC, UofT and haven't heard back from any of them yet. For UofT I think they will have the first wave of offers next friday (based on info from previous years)

I meant biostatistics in particular for UofT, not sure about statistics

3 hours ago, zcx189 said:

I had no interview for Waterloo. Note that I applied to regular Statistics and not Biostatistics.

Also, thanks for the information.

I should add that I'm a Canadian applicant and not and international applicant, if that makes any difference.

57 minutes ago, explodingpineapple said:

I had no interview for Waterloo. Note that I applied to regular Statistics and not Biostatistics.

Also, thanks for the information.

I should add that I'm a Canadian applicant and not and international applicant, if that makes any difference.

Thank you, that makes sense. My boyfriend is an international applicant and I also know another international applicant. Both of them have not heard back from waterloo yet. This explains!

Anyone from Colorado State University knows what is going on with the statistics department? They used to send out offers in January or February. When I emailed them in January, they said that they have already started reviewing applications in the middle of January. But this week they told me that they are still reviewing. I wonder if it is because of the funding that takes them so long or maybe other reasons.