Fall 2023 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicants Thread

6 hours ago, biostat_student4 said:

I guess many of you applied to NCSU. From results page, it seems like they started giving offers.

Hi all, has anyone else received any news from ncsu? I wonder whether they sent the decision for American students and international students separately. Last year, they seemed to have completed the admission in a few days.

Had an invite for 15 minute interview at CU Anschutz for biostats PhD. Prof reached out for longer 1h interview after signing up for 15 minute one. Seems like it went well and he wanted to work with me and he said decisions would come out mid Feb.

17 hours ago, Sky_math said:

Hi all, has anyone else received any news from ncsu? I wonder whether they sent the decision for American students and international students separately. Last year, they seemed to have completed the admission in a few days.

Seems like at present they are sending for domestic students first. 

7 hours ago, biostoof said:

Had an invite for 15 minute interview at CU Anschutz for biostats PhD. Prof reached out for longer 1h interview after signing up for 15 minute one. Seems like it went well and he wanted to work with me and he said decisions would come out mid Feb.

Oh, it's new for me. I also received the common interview invite (where I guess just Asst. Profs and research associates are taking interviews) but no faculty contacted me. When are you contacted by the faculty ? After the general interview of 15 min ? 

8 hours ago, biostat_student4 said:

Oh, it's new for me. I also received the common interview invite (where I guess just Asst. Profs and research associates are taking interviews) but no faculty contacted me. When are you contacted by the faculty ? After the general interview of 15 min ? 

No, on Monday before I had the 15 minute interview. I had specifically mentioned this Prof in SOP and was one of the main reason I was applying to CU Anschutz.

3 hours ago, biostoof said:

No, on Monday before I had the 15 minute interview. I had specifically mentioned this Prof in SOP and was one of the main reason I was applying to CU Anschutz.

Aah I see. Thanks for your information. I wish you get there and get to work with him/her. I just finished the general interview. They told that the results will be out on mid February. But, seems like the cohort sizes are not that big. They gave some numbers, but I forgot. However, it's a developing Biostat dept. Specifically, their chair is pretty well-known and I guess they have some people doing methodological works (which is normally less if you go below in ranking in biostat depts). 

Edited by biostat_student4

On 1/18/2023 at 9:09 PM, is_a_PHDapplicant said:

Those who had interviews with Rice, did you guys hear back from them yet?

Someone told that he/she got the offer. SO they perhaps started giving offers to some (or most) of those who were interviewed. 

On 1/17/2023 at 1:34 PM, mas13920 said:

@Max_ZN Does your friend in the program know if all interview invites are out? (And, if all accepted candidates are interviewed?)

Trying to figure out if it's safe to assume Berkeley is a rejection.

Given that individual faculties are sending interview invites, there might be some more invites as I expected. One of my fellow mates received an interview this afternoon. In the meantime, Wharton acceptances are expected to come this week. Best of luck to those who applied.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:08 AM, biostat_student4 said:

Given that individual faculties are sending interview invites, there might be some more invites as I expected. One of my fellow mates received an interview this afternoon. In the meantime, Wharton acceptances are expected to come this week. Best of luck to those who applied.

This ended up being accurate -- got an interview request from Berkeley today, and it was mentioned more might follow. Looks like the process is much more spread out this year than in prior ones.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, biostat_student4 said:

Also, anyone heard from University of Minnesota Biostatistics (PhD) ?

Congrats @mtob and @mas13920. I recently got acceptance from Minnesota. By the way, to those international students who are not currently in the US and got accepted by Minnesota :- Don't you think we should we should request a virtual visit day too?  They may not entertain though if the proportion of such admitted students is significantly small. But it's worth trying.

2 hours ago, AHK_Biostatistics said:

JHU as well.

Thank you so much, @AHK_Biostatistics.  I don't think you should assume a rejection in Minnesota if you don't hear anything. Because I believe it is somewhat rolling and people might get acceptances at different times. For example, I saw on last year's results that someone got acceptance even during March after being waitlisted. But, I guess they normally intimate you if you are waitlisted. I wish my best of luck to you, and hope that you also get your preferred program. By the by, something to add in this regard:- I saw yesterday someone posting in gradcafe saying that this time UMinn had to divide the applications in two pools and perhaps those getting acceptances recently were in the second pool. 

Regarding JHU, I am afraid it is perhaps not good to not being invited to interview/open day. But, they might offer later once people being offered initially decline. I'm not sure regarding this. I just know that some people got waitlisted last year after interview.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:08 AM, biostat_student4 said:

Do you know when we will hear from Wharton? 

For those that applied to UC Irvine, my interviewer stated the department's goal is to send out offers by the end of January - 1st week of February.

Also If I haven't heard back from a school (NCSU), but have seen both rejection and accepted offers does that mean I should assume that I am on a waitlist of some sort?

3 hours ago, prgp said:

For those that applied to UC Irvine, my interviewer stated the department's goal is to send out offers by the end of January - 1st week of February.

Also If I haven't heard back from a school (NCSU), but have seen both rejection and accepted offers does that mean I should assume that I am on a waitlist of some sort?

Congrats @prgp for your interview in UC Irvine. Best wishes to you. Do you know if they ended up giving all interview invites ? The frequency with which the invites are appearing in results thread might mean that they are perhaps doing things on a case by case basis. It might be reporting bias though. 

For NCSU, I don't think they give all acceptances/rejections together. It looks like they look at a file, take decision and intimate. In the mean time, some other files are still being in discussion of admission committee. So, more acceptances/rejections  are likely to come in the first week of February. I think they would intimate in early February itself if you are waitlisted. All these are my speculation looking at past year's case. I will not be surprised if it goes completely working given the uncertainties involved in these processes. 

6 hours ago, biostat_student4 said:

Congrats @prgp for your interview in UC Irvine. Best wishes to you. Do you know if they ended up giving all interview invites ? The frequency with which the invites are appearing in results thread might mean that they are perhaps doing things on a case by case basis. It might be reporting bias though. 

For NCSU, I don't think they give all acceptances/rejections together. It looks like they look at a file, take decision and intimate. In the mean time, some other files are still being in discussion of admission committee. So, more acceptances/rejections  are likely to come in the first week of February. I think they would intimate in early February itself if you are waitlisted. All these are my speculation looking at past year's case. I will not be surprised if it goes completely working given the uncertainties involved in these processes. 

Yes, Last week (1/20) I received an email about, an interview for 1/23, It stated that they are only interview a small number of applicants whom they "seriously consider for admission". Since there were only about 10 time slots given, and the informal nature, I am assuming that this cohort that I was in, was considerably small < 10. I woke up this morning to an Acceptance email, with details to follow.

Congrats @prgp. UC Irvine is really a nice department (and, I don't know why but it is underrated like UT Austin) and it has some of the really active faculties in biostatistics. I did not know that their cohor sizes are so small. 

@LWAN, congrats. Yes, you are correct. Vandy normally takes that much students only (4-5). However, I don't know how many of the how much of the inetrviewed students are offered admission. Nonetheless, you have good chance.

Sorry, @frank_Frank. I missed your question. I was especially saying about Wharton Statistics which normally comes in last week of January. I don't know about other Wharton programs. It's completely out of my league. 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, PhdEval111 said:

I interviewed with Rice three weeks ago but haven't heard back since. Does it seem unlikely at this point that I will be admitted?

I guess it will be early to lose hope. I came to know that the they have given some early acceptances, but they are still reviewing applications. So, just stay tuned. If you were interviewed and if they did not give any decision timeline to you, I guess you can directly reach out to the Graduate Director (Dr. Kimmel I guess) to know about your status.