Fall 2023 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicants Thread

12 hours ago, crunch_numbers said:

I haven't heard anything since early Jan when they sent a message about fall transcript uploads. I would guess their decisions will come out very soon though based on timing from previous years. It seems that in the past, they typically released all of their acceptances within the range of a few days, then all of the rejections/waitlists a few days after that (but this is a bit of a guess based on what I saw in posts here)

Your timeline is same as me. Seems that they made the decision a little bit late this year. Hope we will get good news soon. 

3 hours ago, jMazek said:

Does anyone know if interviews are necessary for admission at UCLA Stats? Moreover anybody got news on the UCSD Halicioglu Data Science PhD? seen an interview but idk their website is pretty terrible

Don't know about interviews but I think they are still looking at applications. From the UCLA admission website they had 700+ applications last year, and they also sent out a google forms in mid-December about listing top 3 faculty.

15 hours ago, prgp said:

Don't know about interviews but I think they are still looking at applications. From the UCLA admission website they had 700+ applications last year, and they also sent out a google forms in mid-December about listing top 3 faculty.

Yeah I filled out the Google Form but haven't heard back since then. Btw the form was sent straight to spam... Why they don't provide a section for that in the application is beyond my understading.

4 hours ago, jMazek said:

Yeah I filled out the Google Form but haven't heard back since then. Btw the form was sent straight to spam... Why they don't provide a section for that in the application is beyond my understading.

Exactly, additionally I don't even know if it holds any additional weight, if one fills it out or not.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:35 PM, prgp said:

Exactly, additionally I don't even know if it holds any additional weight, if one fills it out or not.

I totally missed the survey... and emailed the committee few days ago. They replied "It was only being used to help with the application reading process, but it does not affect your chances of being admitted."

20 hours ago, pseudo_stat said:

I totally missed the survey... and emailed the committee few days ago. They replied "It was only being used to help with the application reading process, but it does not affect your chances of being admitted."

Probably not directly, but if a professor that you directly mention reads your application, that might help you out a little more.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:49 PM, JTAN said:

received an interview from U wisc.  Very surprised cause there were no interviews  in the past few years. 

Did the graduate admission committee or its director reach out to you for the interview, or was it an individual faculty member who emailed you?

26 minutes ago, lall said:

Does UTHealth and UCD send out their offers? I am still waiting for them

UCD = UC Davis? I do not believe they have sent them yet, I am still waiting on Davis.

13 hours ago, kkkk_h_ch said:

Did the graduate admission committee or its director reach out to you for the interview, or was it an individual faculty member who emailed you?

an individual faculty who reviews our materials. It was just a chat but not an interview. They just started to review the materials,and I think the purpose of the chat was to know our application status and determine the number of offers.

2 hours ago, crunch_numbers said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard's Biostatistics program? It seems in the past few years, they sent acceptances around this time, and rejections a few days later.

At least from Sm-80 program there have been acceptances. Unclear about PhD

Edited by fuzzyman27

Greetings.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from JHU Biostatistics? Over two weeks ago, I sent an email to the admissions committee, requesting for an update on my PhD application, and they replied saying "Thank you very much for your patience. We expect to make a decision on your application next week or two." This week is the third week, and I am still waiting to hear from them about it. What should I do in this situation?

On 2/19/2023 at 12:02 AM, AHK_Biostatistics said:

Greetings.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from JHU Biostatistics? Over two weeks ago, I sent an email to the admissions committee, requesting for an update on my PhD application, and they replied saying "Thank you very much for your patience. We expect to make a decision on your application next week or two." This week is the third week, and I am still waiting to hear from them about it. What should I do in this situation?

Did you have an interview? If not, then probably rejection. Otherwise, if you had an interview, emailing again will not speed up the process.

38 minutes ago, thermoflask101 said:

Anyone heard back from Statistics PhD for UC Berkeley, Columbia, or Harvard? Still waiting on them with no news.

I know a couple of people who got admits from Berkeley and Harvard Stat. So, they perhaps ended up giving first round of offers, and if you are not rejected yet there might be still chances to get in waitlist. But, I'm not sure if there will be a significant amount of people withdrawing offers given the reputation of the programs. Nonetheless, keep optimism. 

Columbia, I guess, just finished taking interviews of some candidates. The offers should be released within a couple of weeks. 

50 minutes ago, biostat_student4 said:

I know a couple of people who got admits from Berkeley and Harvard Stat. So, they perhaps ended up giving first round of offers, and if you are not rejected yet there might be still chances to get in waitlist. But, I'm not sure if there will be a significant amount of people withdrawing offers given the reputation of the programs. Nonetheless, keep optimism. 

Columbia, I guess, just finished taking interviews of some candidates. The offers should be released within a couple of weeks. 

Got it. Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for am email soon then. Also, how does the waitlist work? If the deadline to make a decision is, say, April 1st, does the committee allow waitlisted people a later decision deadline of a couple weeks (e.g., April 15th)?  

Hi! Anyone still waiting for biostatistics PhD for Columbia, Harvard, GWU, UIC, UTH, NYU? I got rejected from JHU and Brown.

For UIC, my application status changed to "Additional Review Required," and does anyone know what this means? 

Edited by Rose_Grad

49 minutes ago, thermoflask101 said:

Got it. Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for am email soon then. Also, how does the waitlist work? If the deadline to make a decision is, say, April 1st, does the committee allow waitlisted people a later decision deadline of a couple weeks (e.g., April 15th)?  

Well, I'm not sure but I guess most of the schools give deadline of April 15 to those who are already offered a position. So, at worst someone will withdraw an offer say around April 14, and you can get offer on April 15 if you are in a kind of waitlist. In that case, I don't think you will get that much time to commit to the offer (take it to be something around last week of April; but I don't know). 

3 hours ago, biostat_student4 said:

I haven't seen anyone posting about interview request from Columbia (while people typically posted about interviews during this period in previous years). This is a bit unusually given that they have a big number of applicants every year.