Madison, WI

enoksrd

Hi guys,

I have only recently decided to start my graduate studies in UW-Madison this Fall. I'm an international student, and have just recently signed up for the waiting list on all graduate dorms. I guess my chances are pretty slim :( So I wanted to ask what I should do in the little time I have left until school starts.

1) Which area of Madison would suit me the most? I'm in my mid-late 20's and would prefer living with people around their mid 20's as well. I really like bars and parties, but not when they're crammed with undergrads (are there any graduate student parties? or is it just for the undergrads?). I don't mind living with roommates (it's preferred even). I don't mind biking or busing (I am without car). I've heard of two areas which may suit me - Willy/Jennifer St. or Kendall/Chamberlain Av. - What do you think?

2) I like socializing and meeting new people - that's why I thought the dorms would fit me the most - but I guess that's out of the question if I only signed up a couple of days ago. Are there any similar options? Is that even a good choice, or should I stick with a normal shared apartment?

Thanks a lot for you help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, I am afraid I will not be useful Hadouken because I was not aware that there were dorms for graduate students.

I think the areas that you've listed might be your best guesses. Personally, I looked for good landlords, reasonable price, and access to public transportation.

Hadouken- I can't help with the apartment hunt, but if you want to socialize with other grad students, check out if your department has a grad student organization. I was in the graduate academic music student org at Madison, and we did a mix of social things (including the occasional bar visit or party at someone's place) and professional development activities. It's also a great way to feel less isolated when you first move to Madison (and not get lost in the sea of undergrads).

• 4 weeks later...

What are some economical internet options for grad students? My place has just informed me that tenants pick their own service.

Any suggestions for speed and affordibility?

• 6 months later...

Bumping this up for Fall 2014.

Interested in any information people can share on finding a place in Madison for myself, spouse and 2 young children.

Eagle Heights is obviously an option, but am waiting to hear back from the Housing office about getting some pics of the inside, floor plans, etc.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted into UW-Madison's Printmaking MFA program for next fall and it is a major contender. I am wondering if any of you can recommend websites other than Craigslist and hotpads, so I can start doing some housing research. My partner and I are in our mid-30s and would want to live in an area that reflects this. I won't have a car, so bus line proximity is key. We also have a dog, so access to a park would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2014 at 7:48 AM, pulpandink said:

I was accepted into UW-Madison's Printmaking MFA program for next fall and it is a major contender. I am wondering if any of you can recommend websites other than Craigslist and hotpads, so I can start doing some housing research. My partner and I are in our mid-30s and would want to live in an area that reflects this. I won't have a car, so bus line proximity is key. We also have a dog, so access to a park would be nice.

If you're interested in renting, check out http://www.madisonapartmentliving.com - it covers a wide array of locations and landlords. In terms of buses, you might find it useful to just refer to the full city map of bus routes (http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/schedules/SystemMaps/WeekdayMap.pdf) as you look at potential housing situations.

On 2/21/2014 at 1:04 AM, mf1717 said:

If you're interested in renting, check out http://www.madisonapartmentliving.com - it covers a wide array of locations and landlords. In terms of buses, you might find it useful to just refer to the full city map of bus routes (http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/schedules/SystemMaps/WeekdayMap.pdf) as you look at potential housing situations.

Which area in the map would you recommend? thanks!

I am considering attending UW in the Fall, but am trying to figure out costs first. I would like to be able to rent a one bedroom (no roommates), keep my car (insurance/gas), eat/drink, perhaps be able to drink a Starbucks once in a while ; ), and pay my bills on time (utilities, internet, cable, etc), and be in a safe area. I don't go to bars, nightclubs, etc, but would like to go to the movies perhaps once a month. How much do you think I need to have per month to afford that 'comfortably'?

One more thing, be far away from rambunctious undergrads. :angry: I don't know if this matters, but I am a gay man in my late 30s, so I need to be somewhere safe also.

Thanks... :D

You don't really need to worry about being in a bad area when it comes to living in Madison, whether you're referring to crime or "homophobia".  It's a very safe city, and probably the only one I've lived in where I feel comfortable walking around at night by myself (female).

As far as being away from rambunctious undergrads, don't live in downtown Madison then.  You'd probably be better suited for Middleton, Midvale/Tokay area (west side of Madison), or maybe Fitchburg.  I recommend living near a bus line if you want to save gas money, as the bus system is one of the best in the country.

Renting a one-bedroom in those areas is maybe ~$800 a month with parking.  Renting a decent one-bedroom in downtown Madison with parking is at least ~$1000 a month, if you're lucky.  Rent and parking is expensive in downtown Madison compared to a lot of other college towns because the area is already built out, so there isn't much room left to build big, new apartments.

As far as cost of living in Madison-area, it's relatively cheap compared to the national average.  I'm still shocked at how expensive parking/rent is in downtown, but everything else is pretty cheap.

If y'all have any other questions, feel free to ask away.  I can pretty much help you out with most areas except finding specific apartment complexes, as I've lived in a house for most of my time here.

You don't really need to worry about being in a bad area when it comes to living in Madison, whether you're referring to crime or "homophobia".  It's a very safe city, and probably the only one I've lived in where I feel comfortable walking around at night by myself (female).

As far as being away from rambunctious undergrads, don't live in downtown Madison then.  You'd probably be better suited for Middleton, Midvale/Tokay area (west side of Madison), or maybe Fitchburg.  I recommend living near a bus line if you want to save gas money, as the bus system is one of the best in the country.

Renting a one-bedroom in those areas is maybe ~$800 a month with parking.  Renting a decent one-bedroom in downtown Madison with parking is at least ~$1000 a month, if you're lucky.  Rent and parking is expensive in downtown Madison compared to a lot of other college towns because the area is already built out, so there isn't much room left to build big, new apartments.

As far as cost of living in Madison-area, it's relatively cheap compared to the national average.  I'm still shocked at how expensive parking/rent is in downtown, but everything else is pretty cheap.

If y'all have any other questions, feel free to ask away.  I can pretty much help you out with most areas except finding specific apartment complexes, as I've lived in a house for most of my time here.

Thank you so much, that's very helpful! So do you think that ~1,500/month would be enough to live 'comfortably' (covering the essentials and not eating Ramen noodles only)? I am visiting Madison this week. I am looking forward to get a sense of the town. So far, I've only heard good things about it.

Thank you so much, that's very helpful! So do you think that ~1,500/month would be enough to live 'comfortably' (covering the essentials and not eating Ramen noodles only)? I am visiting Madison this week. I am looking forward to get a sense of the town. So far, I've only heard good things about it.

Yes, I feel confident that you'd be able to live comfortably spending $1,500 a month.  I go out to eat almost every day (bad habit of mine), spend ~$800 a month for parking/rent, and drive a gas guzzler yet I spend no more than about ~$1,300 a month.  Granted, I take the bus whenever I can in the winter, ride my bike around town in the summer, and go grocery shopping at the Farmer's Market so I do try to save money when I can.

Madison is great.  I moved here for a great job opportunity, and I'll be sad when I leave.

Can anyone tell me where the "gayborhoods" are? Or, is Madison a city where there aren't defined GLBT areas? I'm coming from Chicago where we have areas like Boystown, Andersonville, and Rogers Park--queer pockets among a largely accepting city. I'm a partnered lesbian in my 30s who doesn't necessarily need to live in whatever Madison's equivalent of "Girlstown," but still likes to be a part of the community.

Yes, I feel confident that you'd be able to live comfortably spending $1,500 a month.  I go out to eat almost every day (bad habit of mine), spend ~$800 a month for parking/rent, and drive a gas guzzler yet I spend no more than about ~$1,300 a month.  Granted, I take the bus whenever I can in the winter, ride my bike around town in the summer, and go grocery shopping at the Farmer's Market so I do try to save money when I can.

Madison is great.  I moved here for a great job opportunity, and I'll be sad when I leave.

When you say that you eat out often, do you mean chain fast food sort of places (McDonalds, KFC, etc)? If not, then Madison seems like the town for me! B)  Being able to eat out in non-chain, locally owned restaurants every so often would be unbelievably awesome! Currently I eat out every night, but would be willing to stop this bad habit if needed.

I drive a hybrid (~42 miles/gallon in the city), but would definitely ride the bus/bike and/or walk to school/everywhere else if possible--I would use my car only for weekend trips and stuff like grocery shopping, etc.

I don't have full details on funding yet, but I am hoping to net at least $1,500/month. Besides, I'd probably look for a part-time job to supplement my income. So it looks like I wouldn't be living hand-to-mouth every month, right? :D

UW-Madison is looking more and more appealing; overjoyed here! :wub:

When you say that you eat out often, do you mean chain fast food sort of places (McDonalds, KFC, etc)? If not, then Madison seems like the town for me! B)  Being able to eat out in non-chain, locally owned restaurants every so often would be unbelievably awesome! Currently I eat out every night, but would be willing to stop this bad habit if needed.

I drive a hybrid (~42 miles/gallon in the city), but would definitely ride the bus/bike and/or walk to school/everywhere else if possible--I would use my car only for weekend trips and stuff like grocery shopping, etc.

I don't have full details on funding yet, but I am hoping to net at least $1,500/month. Besides, I'd probably look for a part-time job to supplement my income. So it looks like I wouldn't be living hand-to-mouth every month, right? :D

UW-Madison is looking more and more appealing; overjoyed here! :wub:

Ha!  I've only eaten at fast-food restaurants maybe five times in the past year.  Madison is a great "foodie" town, as it's been compared to the likes of NYC for the wide variety and quality of restaurants/bars in the area.

Yeah, you should be fine with that budget.  Hope you have a nice visit up here!  It is somewhat cold up here for the next month or so, but summers are absolutely gorgeous and they absolutely make up for the long winters.

On 2/24/2014 at 7:42 AM, pulpandink said:

Can anyone tell me where the "gayborhoods" are? Or, is Madison a city where there aren't defined GLBT areas? I'm coming from Chicago where we have areas like Boystown, Andersonville, and Rogers Park--queer pockets among a largely accepting city. I'm a partnered lesbian in my 30s who doesn't necessarily need to live in whatever Madison's equivalent of "Girlstown," but still likes to be a part of the community.

Try the near East side, like Willy st/Atwood area. It's the closest thing to a gayborhood, but it's also kind of the aging hippie neighborhood, and it has a lot of cool restaurants and cafes and such. And it's home to one of the city's few gay bars. 

On 2/24/2014 at 7:18 PM, smallworld said:

I was wondering if it is easy to park on the UW campus.  Would it be feasible to live further from campus and drive in, or do you really need to bike/take the bus?

There's public parking in the Park St. ramp, but it gets expensive real fast. Street parking is similarly expensive and usually has a time limit. Spaces in lots are usually reserved for employees/are hard to come by. So, if you have the money, it's doable, sure, but biking and busing will save you a lot of money, especially with free bus passes for students. 

Try the near East side, like Willy st/Atwood area. It's the closest thing to a gayborhood, but it's also kind of the aging hippie neighborhood, and it has a lot of cool restaurants and cafes and such. And it's home to one of the city's few gay bars.

Thanks!

I have a car but she's going back home in the summer cause I don't really know how to drive in this weather and parking/looking for parking is problematic near the UW-Madison campus. Currently, I rent a studio with a parking spot for $600 a month + whatever utilities I pay = $700 (generous). I should not that I rarely eat out but do have car payment and credit card bills to pay and I've lived pretty decently off a $1600 stipend. 

The only thing I'm dealing with is the odd silence at night here in my neighborhood. And its really cold  :angry: but you get used to it...sort of..might be because I walk a mile to school and a mile to the gym in this weather. 

Edited by i.am.me

So, Im thinking of moving to Madison but I have a question. How do people deal with the cold? I mean, I live in Scandinavia and have done for most of my life but I barely cope here and Wisconsin seems to be on a whole new Siberian level of seriously freezing. Do people just stay inside? Are houses well insulated? Or are you just made of harder stuff than I am?

So, Im thinking of moving to Madison but I have a question. How do people deal with the cold? I mean, I live in Scandinavia and have done for most of my life but I barely cope here and Wisconsin seems to be on a whole new Siberian level of seriously freezing. Do people just stay inside? Are houses well insulated? Or are you just made of harder stuff than I am?

Do people just stay inside? Meh, there's cross country skiing, snowboarding/skiing, ice skating, tubing, sledding, etc.  But for the most part, I stayed inside.

Are houses well insulated?  Generally yes.  Never really been a problem for me.

Or are you just made of harder stuff than I am?  I know people who were born and raised in the Midwest, and they hate the winter.  I'm from the south, annnnd I think my second winter up here confirmed that I belong back in the south.

But really winter isn't that bad up here.  It's absolutely gorgeous and somewhat peaceful.

I'm a tropical person...my roots and adult life has mostly been spent in monsoon-type climates (so there is like, hot, hotter, and wet). I have been told that this has been one of the worst winters Madison has seen for some time...and frankly, I dealt with the weather quite decently due to my very nice knee-length down coat. I stayed indoors but I am an in-doorsy type person, but I still went grocery shopping (walked, bus), and maintain a social life somewhat when friends are in town...but I guess, it's a mentality?

For me, it is what it is. Not knocking the cold or anything, but you do get used to it. It's just takes some of us a while. 

I must say that when the wind is not so biting, the city is a nice and comfortable place to go for a walk - no honking, cussing, creeping cars/drivers.

On 2/24/2014 at 7:42 AM, pulpandink said:

We have both the local Congressman and our US Senator that are out and proud. Everywhere is GLBT. The Williamson St. area has a ton of first-wave, (grey-ing boomer old) Hippie GLBT.

On 2/25/2014 at 11:23 AM, marsmat said:

Make sure you rent a place that includes heat as part of the rent. That's key. And you just need a good, tall pair of warm boots, a great winter coat and hat, scarf & gloves. Ask your family as a off-to-school gift for a pair of boots. I really like Pajar out of Canada, and Sorel has some stuff, although they tend to be short boots, and I like having my legs covered. Expect to spend $150-200 on a good pair

Merchant is great for cocktails & dinner, or the Old Fashioned is good, but a bit cheaper. For breakfast, Marigold Kitchen is kind of a classic now. Both Merchant and Marigold are right off the capitol square, the Old Fashioned is on the square.