enoksrd

Madison, WI

Do you know if there are trains or buses that will take you to/from Milwaukee? Or Chicago?

Yes, there is the Badger Bus which runs between Madison and Milwaukee. It's a bit pricey (around $25 one way, I think). There is also bus service to Chicago (Val Galder) and Minneapolis (Megabus).

I'd start looking for an apartment in the next couple of months although you could wait longer. My first apartment I found, I signed the lease in June. Last year I signed a lease in April. The majority of places to live on the isthmus are houses and I think craigslist is your best source. That's where I found both of mine.

I was able to find a job pretty easily, but both were pretty low-end jobs (ie daycare, retail, etc.). I've known people who were able to get jobs at restaurants pretty easily too. I'm not sure what the market is for 9-5 jobs. And there are buses to Milwaukee and Chicago. I mainly bike or walk around Madison. I took a class last semester and used the bus.

Thanks! When do you think I should start looking for an apartment? And what is the best method? I'm living on the west coast so it would be most convenient if I could somehow search here through online sources...but I know that Craigslist is not necessarily the most complete listing.

Also, as you are a non-student, would you happen to have any insight on the current job market there? My boyfriend wants to move there with me but I'm hesitant about this because I'm not sure what kind of job he could find there and how soon.

And one last question - it seems that the bus system within Madison is good enough to get around on for most occasions. Do you know if there are trains or buses that will take you to/from Milwaukee? Or Chicago?

Thanks very much :)

Does anyone here know anything about "City Row Apartments"? After seeing someone on Craigslist looking for a roommate there I went to the website http://www.cityrowapts.com/index.html and it seems that they are for low-income earners. And there is a restriction on the proportion of students allowed in each apartment (so I guess that excludes me from a 1 bedroom). It's all so strange and yet it seems like it is an awesome place to live. I want to live there but with my graduate student stipend I would make too much money to be that lady's roommate. Weird? Yes.

So, anyone know anything? What is this mysterious, magical place?

I am going to be visiting Madison on the last weekend of March. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather I can expect during my 3-day visit? Also, I have virtually a full day to explore on my own, sans car or bus pass, before school events start. Does anyone have any recommendations on what neighborhoods to explore? I am looking forward to walking around the city and getting lost :)

I am going to be visiting Madison on the last weekend of March. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather I can expect during my 3-day visit? Also, I have virtually a full day to explore on my own, sans car or bus pass, before school events start. Does anyone have any recommendations on what neighborhoods to explore? I am looking forward to walking around the city and getting lost :)

weather is kind of a crap shoot - we had snow in may one year I was there.

It's a beautiful city and I think you'll enjoy walking around. I think the farmers market will have started by then - definitely worth visiting on a saturday morning. the best grad student neighborhoods are a little further away from campus. It's a little loud on the weekends downtown and in the undergrad ghettos. Good areas to check out are Willy Street, Marquette, Shenk-Atwood. The area along Gorham and Johnson Streets past James Madison Park is traditionally grad student territory

weather is kind of a crap shoot - we had snow in may one year I was there.

It's a beautiful city and I think you'll enjoy walking around. I think the farmers market will have started by then - definitely worth visiting on a saturday morning. the best grad student neighborhoods are a little further away from campus. It's a little loud on the weekends downtown and in the undergrad ghettos. Good areas to check out are Willy Street, Marquette, Shenk-Atwood. The area along Gorham and Johnson Streets past James Madison Park is traditionally grad student territory

Thanks! I just checked on Google Maps and am wondering...is Willy Street walkable from campus? And the farmers market is a fantastic idea! Thanks for that one.

Thanks! I just checked on Google Maps and am wondering...is Willy Street walkable from campus? And the farmers market is a fantastic idea! Thanks for that one.

it's a long walk - maybe 30-45 min, depending on where on campus. It's an easy bike ride (everybody bikes in Madison - there's a great bike system)

Is it possible to find a reasonable (in terms of place and rent) housing on July? Because I could not be there before the beginning of July and I don't want to sign the lease without actually seeing the apartment.

Is it possible to find a reasonable (in terms of place and rent) housing on July? Because I could not be there before the beginning of July and I don't want to sign the lease without actually seeing the apartment.

Hi Whitman,

I'm in the same pinch - I'm coming from out of state. I know what neighborhood I want to live in and I know (from other students' stories) that often the best places rent early. July may be too late to get a nice place. Check out the FAQs at http://campusareahousing.wisc.edu for guidelines of timing for your apartment search.

Before you pull your hair out and resign yourself to signing a lease sight-unseen (which is dangerous, though I know people do it), ponder this: a few nice students from the cohort a year ahead of me volunteered to look at apartments on my behalf - other students did that for them and they're happy to pay it forward. I look for the apartments on cragislist/Madison campus rentals (http://campusareahousing.wisc.edu), I email/call with my basic questions and ask for digital photos, and when I narrow it down, I ask my new friend to look at the apartment with a few of my 'must-haves' in mind. Obviously, I don't want to squander my social capital before you get to campus, so I'm trying to be very selective before I ask for a "personal" tour. Check with the head of your department or even the resources at http://www.grad.wisc.edu/education/gsc/gradguide/index.html.

Good luck!

Hey everyone,

Planning on going to UW-Madison next year, and am currently looking online for apartments. I'm going for the Chemistry Ph.D. program, and see a lot of people suggesting the Old University area for science people; but I'm not really sure what street area's this entails. Also, I'm finding a lot of promising-looking options in Middleton, is this a bikable/busable area to get to campus? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Planning on going to UW-Madison next year, and am currently looking online for apartments. I'm going for the Chemistry Ph.D. program, and see a lot of people suggesting the Old University area for science people; but I'm not really sure what street area's this entails. Also, I'm finding a lot of promising-looking options in Middleton, is this a bikable/busable area to get to campus? Thanks!

Middleton is SO much cheaper, but it's less convenient/cool. all of madison is bikeable and you can check out bus routes between potential apartments and your science building at: http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/

Hey everyone,

I really urge you to avoid living in Middleton. It's cheap, but it's suburbia. Boring, few walkable areas, car-centered, and just like every other suburb in this country. The commute would be easy by bus or bike, but the quality of life would be poor. You'd lose out on everything good that Madison has to offer.

I'd recommend the following areas. University Heights and Vilas are closer to campus, but don't the restaurants/bars/grocery stores that the east side does. James Madison Park is close to campus but teeming with undergraduates.

1. University Heights/Old University

2. Vilas

3. Williamson/Marquette

4. Schenk-Atwood

5. James Madison Park

I just got back from a two-day trip to Madison and it was great. I met my future lab, dealt with administrative issues, saw the city and most importantly of all, I found my home!

The reason I was able to do this so quickly is because I did quite a bit of prep work beforehand. I spent way too much time on craigslist (whatever I could do to avoid this thesis it seems) and found places that seemed good. I only inquired about places that already had roommates as this was my preference. I wrote a pretty detailed description of myself to the potential roommates and I tried to make sure I showed my personality. After all, I want to make sure I get along with people I live with.

The ads I replied to varied in their levels of detail. I made sure to ask questions and to get pictures of the place if they were not already included. I facebooked everyone and even skyped with some roommates. This way I was able to narrow my search down to three places. I already had a good idea of where I wanted to move before I went. If I had not visited I would have felt comfortable signing the lease remotely. The key is to have substantial contact with the people.

While there, I made back-to-back appointments and the potential roommates actually offered to give me rides to the next viewings. It was awesome! People in Madison are sooo nice :)

So what did I think of the areas of the city? Most of my labmates live in the West, Vilas area. It is quiet and overall void of undergrads. But it also seems far away from the action that you will find in the capitol. The 3 places I ended up looking were all on the Isthmus.

First was a place near Monona Bay. I was concerned about undergrad presence but was assured that it was not a problem. There is even a seniors home across the street so it's nice and quiet but blocks from the capitol.

Second was in the heart of Willy Street. The apartment was awesome and the neighborhood was even better. It's no State Street but it is a lively area.

Finally, I made it to the far east of the Isthmus. The place was great (huge kitchen and a roommate that would bake fore me) but it was just too far from campus. In fact, trying to get back to my hotel I had to switch buses and then I got lost and didn't get back until midnight.

All of the potential roommates were really great. I trusted my instincts when doing my search and communicating with them and I was not disappointed. There are a lot of living options in Madison and different areas that will definitely suit your taste. Just make sure you prioritize what features matter to you and if you're not sure, ask the people who posted the ad! And don't respond to ads posted by undergrads (unless that's your style).

I don't know if this was useful for anyone but I hope it was. Lemme know if you have any questions!

Hey all. I am seriously considering apartments south of campus, I think the neighborhood is called Burr Oaks. I have heard Badger Road is the "bad" part of town, but coming from low income neighborhoods in Chicago this does not deter me much. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it really that bad? Are we talking shootings and stabbings, or more like graffiti and burglary?

Thanks folks.

Hey all. I am seriously considering apartments south of campus, I think the neighborhood is called Burr Oaks. I have heard Badger Road is the "bad" part of town, but coming from low income neighborhoods in Chicago this does not deter me much. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it really that bad? Are we talking shootings and stabbings, or more like graffiti and burglary?

Thanks folks.

I did not check out that neighborhood but I think that nowhere in Madison is very bad. One of my labmates warned me about my neighborhood (Doty St.) because there had been a murder there 3-4 years ago but it's actually a totally safe place.

Burr Oaks might be worse, I really don't know. But what I say is that when you hear bad things about a place, take it with a grain of salt. I wonder if anyone living in Madison could further enlighten us on this issue.

Edited by ogopo

I did not check out that neighborhood but I think that nowhere in Madison is very bad. One of my labmates warned me about my neighborhood (Doty St.) because there had been a murder there 3-4 years ago but it's actually a totally safe place.

Burr Oaks might be worse, I really don't know. But what I say is that when you hear bad things about a place, take it with a grain of salt. I wonder if anyone living in Madison could further enlighten us on this issue.

Okay, that helps a bit. I am going to visit apartments West, South, and East of campus and see how things look.

I found this site informational : http://www.crimereports.com/ , just search for Madison, WI. Crime report data was provided by the Madison police department. According to this map, the West side looks the safest.

Okay, that helps a bit. I am going to visit apartments West, South, and East of campus and see how things look.

I found this site informational : http://www.crimereports.com/ , just search for Madison, WI. Crime report data was provided by the Madison police department. According to this map, the West side looks the safest.

Holy shit. I have never seen a map like this before. I'm shocked at the number of registered sex offenders.

Holy shit. I have never seen a map like this before. I'm shocked at the number of registered sex offenders.

Me too!! :ph34r: "Registered" means that they have already been in jail and now they are out but the community is wathcing them, right?

Me too!! :ph34r: "Registered" means that they have already been in jail and now they are out but the community is wathcing them, right?

Yes. I don't consider myself an alarmist but this is shocking and worrisome.

Yes. I don't consider myself an alarmist but this is shocking and worrisome.

I've just talked about that with my friends and they told me that it's not as bad as it seems. Many of these sex offenders did not commit any serious crimes. Many did bad or mildly bad things long ago. And many of them are (ex) child molesters. Of course they are all sex offenders who have done bad things at some point in their lives. But it's not like each and every one of them is a maniac that dreams about finding his next victim in the dark street. Some are just miserable people repenting their crimes.

oof, I am really sorry. I wasn't trying to freak people out, nor be an alarmist.

My intent was just to share the information, which I think is from an accurate source.

oof, I am really sorry. I wasn't trying to freak people out, nor be an alarmist.

My intent was just to share the information, which I think is from an accurate source.

No, no, no.. I wasn't saying anything negative towards you. I actually just finding shocking that there are so many registered sex offenders. And it's not even about Madison. I'm sure that other cities are the same or worse. What terrifies me is our society. Why are there so many sex offenders? And what would constitute a minor sex offense??

Please forgive my off-topic rant.

No problem, actually I am very grateful to you for posting this link! I've heard about this site before but I have never seen it. I think it's a very useful sourse of information.

No, no, no.. I wasn't saying anything negative towards you. I actually just finding shocking that there are so many registered sex offenders. And it's not even about Madison. I'm sure that other cities are the same or worse. What terrifies me is our society. Why are there so many sex offenders? And what would constitute a minor sex offense??

Please forgive my off-topic rant.

Yes, it's even worse in bigger cities! Type in Philadelphia on this website (that's where I am heading) and you will see a sex offender symbol on every street! It's so creepy. But when I talked to my friends, they told me what I have written in another comment here and it calmed me down a bit.

What consitutes a minor sex offense? Oh, I am so not an expert here.

But yes, minor or major, I find it shocking anyway :(

Definitely, it is worse in big cities. I am glad no one was offended. What scares me too is how unfazed I was by the number of crimes and sex offenders on the map compared to what I know about my current and former neighborhood. I was using the time filter on the map, thinking, "oh, only one assault and three burglaries in one day in neighborhood, X, that is pretty good!" It truly is all relative.

Not too sure what a minor sex offense is, either... grr society.