PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

Since I only saw updates or discussions about applications for epidemiology and health policy, I am just wondering if anybody applied to JHU mental health phd program? No any update or message has been received since submitting....So nervous.....

Anyone heard from UMN? They said on 12.4 that a decision will be sent out in 6 weeks. Nothing yet.

Hi - new here

Loved seeing everyone’s updates and it has been really helpful so far! Just wanted to share the schools I applied to and updates. I applied to Epi PhD programs.  Hopefully other people applied to some of these schools too and we can update each other. 

UCSF - haven’t heard anything 

UW - rejected 

Brown - did not get an interview (rejected) 

CUNY SPH - haven’t heard anything 

Columbia - haven’t heard anything 

McGill - haven’t heard anything 

Drexel - interview 

20 hours ago, qeeeeeeeeet said:

Since I only saw updates or discussions about applications for epidemiology and health policy, I am just wondering if anybody applied to JHU mental health phd program? No any update or message has been received since submitting....So nervous.....

I applied to this program too! I heard that last year they sent interviews in 1.23. So I think we will get news soon!

2 hours ago, fightin4mylyf said:

Hi - new here

Loved seeing everyone’s updates and it has been really helpful so far! Just wanted to share the schools I applied to and updates. I applied to Epi PhD programs.  Hopefully other people applied to some of these schools too and we can update each other. 

UCSF - haven’t heard anything 

UW - rejected 

Brown - did not get an interview (rejected) 

CUNY SPH - haven’t heard anything 

Columbia - haven’t heard anything 

McGill - haven’t heard anything 

Drexel - interview 

Canadian schools have just begun interviewing so i wouldn't be too worried. 

On 6/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, dianabixler said:

I applied to Georgia Southern's DrPH program in Public Health Leadership and received a decision on May 23. Did you?

DrPH schools

Anyone one applying to U.I.C, Georgia Southern, or Mercer,Loma Linda or have been admitted to those schools?

I have a few questions

Edited by BZG

On 1/19/2024 at 10:36 PM, qeeeeeeeeet said:

I was just about to ask about this! Nervous because it's a top program for me but I've heard nothing from them. I applied to psychiatric epi, hbu? 

1 hour ago, andrewsethna said:

Hi- did anyone else here apply to the Harvard DrPH? and have they gotten any interviews? 

Yes I applied! Contacted mid Jan for an interview. Does anyone if there is one or two rounds of interviews? 

1 hour ago, Cm2223 said:

Yes I applied! Contacted mid Jan for an interview. Does anyone if there is one or two rounds of interviews? 

congrats, i did not receive an interview invite so i think it's safe to assume that I have been rejected as I believe prospective candidates received interviews earlier this month. 

3 hours ago, andrewsethna said:

Hi- did anyone else here apply to the Harvard DrPH? and have they gotten any interviews? 

I applied haven’t heard back yet. Not sure how long they will be contacting for interview this month?

Edited by Public health grl

On 1/19/2024 at 1:14 PM, YiL said:

Generally, it is not very helpful unless the faculty is in the committee or he/she really likes you and wants to advocate you to the committee. It is more useful if the decision is not made by a committee. But in some cases, we can get some information from contacting the faculty members.

I found that it really helped me forge relationships during the application process. It also enabled me to write about the faculty I’m interested in within my application. I think everyone has a different approach. Do what works for you and helps you figure out what’s the best fit for your goals :)

On 1/19/2024 at 1:25 PM, ElieF said:

Just out of curiosity, do we need to reach out to faculty members before submitting the application? (Especially for programs that are committee based.)

I think this is really program specific. I had outreached to JHU faculty ahead of applying because what I want to look into is very niche and I really need to create an advisory team no matter where I applied (cross section of Intellectual Disability and Substance Use).

When I outreached to faculty at JHU, I was informed it was very rare. Most of the connections basically said "no" and dismissed any follow-ups. I did meet with one super helpful professor who introduced me to her team and connected me with regional resources.

I was informed that JHU has a matching process, so my outreach was considered unnecessary. However, on my end I thought it was vital since I did not want to waste my time and energy applying to a school if no one would be able/willing to work with me. For reference, I applied to Health Policy and Management.