PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

35 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

Hey! I am interviewing with them this Friday but it seems like they are interviewing well into next week based on the schedule they provided (1/25)

Congrats on the interview and thanks for your info! Are you interviewing with one faculty member or is it a panel interview? I have still not heard anything from Hopkins yet. I guess it's just the signal of rejection :(

42 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Hey! I hear you. I had one interview, and it was only an hour long, but I really had to fit my schedule around the interviewers' schedule on a super busy day for me--one I normally only work a half day for because I'm sort of "on stage" facilitating and teaching all morning. I did it, but the ball is really in their court. I'm not sure if they'd care for feedback . . .

Good luck! Sending positive energy to all! Did you interview for a DrPH program? If you don’t mind sharing how was the interview? Was it a faculty member? Or admissions officer? It’s hard not knowing how much weight an interview has on the review process! Still waiting!

18 minutes ago, cpkepi said:

Congrats on the interview and thanks for your info! Are you interviewing with one faculty member or is it a panel interview? I have still not heard anything from Hopkins yet. I guess it's just the signal of rejection :(

It’s an interview with three faculty, so a panel.

As hard as it may seem, don’t spiral!! Nothing is definitive yet- who knows what the outcome will be and maybe  they are still  releasing more interviews. Trust the process and give the universe time to give you exactly what you need and at the right time :) this is my second time applying to PhD programs, and the first time I got rejected to all (not saying that you will be!!!) but for me it was not the right time and I wasn’t ready- after not getting in, I actually moved across the country, met and married my now husband, and am working a dream job, interviewing for programs that auto rejected me a few years ago. Again, not to say you will get rejected, but unless you’re a magical psychic, you can’t predict the future and it’s not your job to. Focus on what brings you peace during all the chaos

44 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

It’s an interview with three faculty, so a panel.

As hard as it may seem, don’t spiral!! Nothing is definitive yet- who knows what the outcome will be and maybe  they are still  releasing more interviews. Trust the process and give the universe time to give you exactly what you need and at the right time :) this is my second time applying to PhD programs, and the first time I got rejected to all (not saying that you will be!!!) but for me it was not the right time and I wasn’t ready- after not getting in, I actually moved across the country, met and married my now husband, and am working a dream job, interviewing for programs that auto rejected me a few years ago. Again, not to say you will get rejected, but unless you’re a magical psychic, you can’t predict the future and it’s not your job to. Focus on what brings you peace during all the chaos

Thank you so much for sharing the story and for your kind words! It means a lot to me. This is my first time applying for PhD program, and I guess I should learn to to trust the process and understand that things will unfold as they're meant to. 🙂

3 hours ago, lynn_ said:

Did anyone receive a rejection from JHU popfam? I heard that they're sending out decisions this week but I haven't heard anything from them.

I just had interviews and they are going until Friday so I’d be very surprised if they sent out decisions this week! I think it will probably be at least a few weeks!

Editing to say sharing good vibes that we all get in soon!! :) 

Edited by epigirly

3 hours ago, Public health grl said:

Good luck! Sending positive energy to all! Did you interview for a DrPH program? If you don’t mind sharing how was the interview? Was it a faculty member? Or admissions officer? It’s hard not knowing how much weight an interview has on the review process! Still waiting!

DrPH, yes. Two faculty members. It went ok. I felt good afterward, but then I realized I missed some key opportunities to tell my story that I wish I had back. Ah well.

1 hour ago, epigirly said:

I just had interviews and they are going until Friday so I’d be very surprised if they sent out decisions this week! I think it will probably be at least a few weeks!

Editing to say sharing good vibes that we all get in soon!! :) 

For the population, family and reproductive health department? I really hope they're still going because I haven't received anything and I just assumed it's a rejection..

37 minutes ago, lynn_ said:

For the population, family and reproductive health department? I really hope they're still going because I haven't received anything and I just assumed it's a rejection..

It’s definitely possible that there’s more than one round! I have no idea if they’re required either so I absolutely wouldn’t take it as a rejection. This is super stressful and I’m sending lots of good vibes your way! 

23 minutes ago, epigirly said:

It’s definitely possible that there’s more than one round! I have no idea if they’re required either so I absolutely wouldn’t take it as a rejection. This is super stressful and I’m sending lots of good vibes your way! 

Fingers crossed! Thank youu!!!

Brown BSHS sent interview invitations today!

Also, just to put this out there, as many of us are getting interviews, rejections, and acceptances, I so appreciate how supportive this forum is! To echo some earlier comments, the right path will happen at the right time. If you don't have a strong support system, or even if you do, know that somewhere out there is someone who's rooting for you! You're not alone.

As a first-gen grad student, I know it can be really hard to navigate the doctoral application process without "insider" knowledge. Higher education is very much a gatekeeping community. So here are some tips I've received so far! It's not an all-encompassing list by any means, but I hope this is helpful. :) 

Things you can do to prep for interviews:

• Review your application materials
  • Review prospective program materials
  • If you know whom you're interviewing with, review their recent publications/CV
  • Prepare questions/answers
  • Prepare email drafts (thank you notes) to send after interviews are over
  • Mock interviews with colleagues, mentors, friends, family
  • Take time to rest and destress!

Things you can ask faculty about:

• Current and future research
  • Mentorship style
  • How their expertise/experiences/connections align with your career goals
  • Funding/work opportunities for students
  • What they enjoy about working at their school/department

Things you should be prepared to answer:

• Why a PhD or DrPH (vs. other higher education paths, work, etc.)
  • Why this program vs. other ones
  • Whom you'd like to work with and why
  • Your research/public health interests
  • Your career goals
  • Important experiences in your life (challenge you overcame, influential moments, etc.)

Things you can ask current students about:

• What they (don't) like about the program/department/school
  • What they (don't) like about the area/city
  • Are they happy? Do they feel supported professionally, emotionally, academically?
  • Funding options and affordability (grants, stipend, etc.)
  • General words of advice
Edited by srhpublichealth8

19 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

Also, just to put this out there, as many of us are getting interviews, rejections, and acceptances, I so appreciate how supportive this forum is! To echo some earlier comments, the right path will happen at the right time. If you don't have a strong support system, or even if you do, know that somewhere out there is someone who's rooting for you! You're not alone.

As a first-gen grad student, I know it can be really hard to navigate the doctoral application process without "insider" knowledge. Higher education is very much a gatekeeping community. So here are some tips I've received so far! It's not an all-encompassing list by any means, but I hope this is helpful. :) 

• If you know whom you're interviewing with, review their recent publications/CV

• Mentorship style

• Why a PhD (vs. DrPH, other higher education paths, work, etc.)
  • Who you'd like to work with and why
  • Your career goals
  • Important experiences in your life (challenge you overcame, influential moments, etc.)

• Are they happy? Do they feel supported professionally, emotionally, academically?

Hi @srhpublichealth8Did you get an invite from Brown? (I'm asking bc I haven't seen anyone post about it on the pain page about results)

Also, thanks so much for letting us know about these tips!! I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Anairam said:

Hi @srhpublichealth8Did you get an invite from Brown? (I'm asking bc I haven't seen anyone post about it on the pain page about results)

Also, thanks so much for letting us know about these tips!! I really appreciate it!

I did! Looks like their interviews are on the same day as the other Brown departments

Edited by srhpublichealth8

37 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

• Mentorship style

• Your career goals

This is beyond helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!!

54 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

• Mentorship style

• Your career goals

This is so helpful! Thanks for sharing!

23 hours ago, manifesthb said:

Hi all, am I the only one who finds these all day interview events a bit inconsiderate? With the line of work I am in, especially in Q1, there are tons of deadlines and meetings that have been booked months in advance. Schools have reached out and asked me to block out an entire day of work (barely a week in advance) for an all day interview. It seems so strange to do this at the interview stage too, like what do you need to know for 8 hours. Any thoughts on this? Sorry for the rant 

Yup, it's so rude. Emory sent me an interview invite for 1 specific date, 8 hours long, with not even a 15-minute break. It's so rude I'm truly considering not attending because of how poorly that reflects on a program. I just can't imagine how they treat their students, it's a major red flag.