SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Yeah, it's why I asked. I double checked at the e-mail I got from Grad studies at my program (3 and a half weeks after hearing from SSHRC and 3 weeks after I asked them for confirmation that I was forwarded with recommendation to receive a SSHRC) says "around mid-May 2011," but the person who sent it to me is not known for her reliability. Basically I am going with "whenever SSHRC officially says it will be out plus three to five weeks."

I find the waiting game to be the hardest part of the whole process. I can deal with the application details, and the deadlines, and the stress surrounding the proposal construction, but seriously. The long-term waiting is crazy. Everything I decide to do next year with my research depends entirely on how much funding I get... and since I'm your typical type-A personality and like to plan everything months (sometimes years) in advance, I get so frustrated with the seemingly endless SSHRC holding-pattern. I can't for the life of me figure out WHY they aren't capable of giving an exact date for sending out competition results. It's ridiculous! It's too bad we can't hold them to a firm notification date as staunchly as they hold us to their teeny tiny irritating application details! /rant

the SSHRC committees that select the winners are doing this for free. they're busy academics. THAT'S why they can't give you a concrete date.

In my opinion, it's just about basic time management and respect for people. SSHRC sets a deadline, and the "busy academics" who are volunteering should either be required to meet that deadline, or decline to volunteer. Why should this be different than any other work deadline simply because the positions are unpaid? I get so tired of hearing the "busy academic" excuse. We're all PEOPLE with busy lives in one way or another. Family responsibilities, health issues, financial obligations, etc. But I digress... I'm sure my irritation is being affected by my personal experiences in academia - a context which I obviously can't escape!

I just wish SSHRC would push all the deadlines earlier to try to get results out closer to people making enrollment decisions. Even a month earlier would make a HUGE difference to students.

I see in the NSERC thread that they're getting results already. Is SSHRC likely to be on the same schedule? I *hope* so!

Don't count on it.

Ugh. I'm so over waiting to hear from SSHRC and OGS!

really? because i'd say you have at least another month. ugh.

again, the letter i got from SSHRC dated february 22 said we'd hear news on the "next stage" (didn't say final stage, but what else is left?) in april. which probably means may.

really? because i'd say you have at least another month. ugh.

again, the letter i got from SSHRC dated february 22 said we'd hear news on the "next stage" (didn't say final stage, but what else is left?) in april. which probably means may.

The last stage is waitlists. Trust me, I know. And that can go on until January (luckily it was october, in my case).

In terms of when to hear, it seems like April is what they shoot for every year, and usually miss by 1 to 2 months. For the poster above that is "done waiting", that's a good attitude to have. Forget about it, and you'll be pleasantly surprised (hopefully) when it shows up.

Canuck

The last stage is waitlists. Trust me, I know. And that can go on until January (luckily it was october, in my case).

In terms of when to hear, it seems like April is what they shoot for every year, and usually miss by 1 to 2 months. For the poster above that is "done waiting", that's a good attitude to have. Forget about it, and you'll be pleasantly surprised (hopefully) when it shows up.

Canuck

Hai, Canuck! :D

I would think you guys still have at least a few months of waiting to go. Last year, I heard about my SSHRC in the first week of May... and wasn't bumped to a CGS until the end of December. It is an incredibly stressful and frustrating experience, and I definitely emphasize with everyone waiting right now!

Nice to see you guys! I am theoretically still waiting from last year and waiting for this year ;) I'm getting really good at it! May is a good approximation. I'm going for mid-May, just after the comps so it comes as a surprise.

May? Sooo... After I'm supposed to have accepted/declined all my Canadian offers, right? Ugh, that is so upsetting. Irrespective of all the explanations above about who is in charge of making this decision and why they take so long, this is a time-sensitive manner. I don't understand why it seems reasonable to anyone for the results to come out months after universities are expected to have made their first decisions. If you're in the first batch, what are you supposed to do? Accept everywhere? It's very frustrating.

Hi,

If you chose Totonto, we will be classmates......

^O^

Zhangy, are you in the MA program now, or are you going to be in the fall? Regardless, welcome to UToronto Economics. You'll see me in the department often enough. My office is in the basement, by the TA office hour room.

I called SSHRC last week and asked about the when the results for the Joseph Bombardier scholarship would be announced. The woman I spoke to said that they don't even sit to make the decision until mid-April, so we should be hearing the results by the end of April. And I didn't get a letter or anything from SSHRC either saying my application had been received - it was forwarded through my current university (RMC). I may not have gotten a letter because apparently as a ROTP (Regular Officer Training Program) cadet, one SSHRC scholarship is held aside for ROTP applicants per year. I have absolutely no proof of that though, that's just what I was told. If I get the scholarship, I'm going to Carleton (NPSIA); if not, I'll be staying here at RMC under DND funding. Fingers crossed!

Hai, Canuck! :D

I would think you guys still have at least a few months of waiting to go. Last year, I heard about my SSHRC in the first week of May... and wasn't bumped to a CGS until the end of December. It is an incredibly stressful and frustrating experience, and I definitely emphasize with everyone waiting right now!

I called SSHRC last week and asked about the when the results for the Joseph Bombardier scholarship would be announced. The woman I spoke to said that they don't even sit to make the decision until mid-April, so we should be hearing the results by the end of April. And I didn't get a letter or anything from SSHRC either saying my application had been received - it was forwarded through my current university (RMC). I may not have gotten a letter because apparently as a ROTP (Regular Officer Training Program) cadet, one SSHRC scholarship is held aside for ROTP applicants per year. I have absolutely no proof of that though, that's just what I was told. If I get the scholarship, I'm going to Carleton (NPSIA); if not, I'll be staying here at RMC under DND funding. Fingers crossed!

ROFL. I wish that were true. They told us the same thing last year and then no one was notified until almost the very end of May. But we can cross our fingers...

NSERC applicants always hear back sooner than SSHRC applicants. Our grad secretary was telling me that she'd already received the NSERC results last week, but she wasn't expecting the SSHRC ones until May/June.

Last year they were late. Fourth week of April for Ph. D and second of May for Master.

May I add that while the reviewers are doing it for free, they have to respect deadlines. My supervisor is a reviewer there and took a moment to explain how it works. Simply, during springbreak, they gather up in Ottawa, they read and review, they make piles (yay or nay) and they have to all agree on rejections (like a jury). They choose and then tell SSHRC. Our faith has already been decided. Right now, it's all paperwork, preparation, etc. It doesn't mean that, as of now, the person responsible for our division actually knows.

Anyway, they are not supposed to tell us anything. Though, depending on the person, they have a hard time not telling: last year *he* told me "not to worry" about my master application and I learned that I had the master fellowship for a year a couple days later (by mail).

One thing is for sure, we will know. No need to stress them.

Anyone applied for the FQRSC in Quebec ? This I don't remember how it works.

Good luck to everyone,

Alex

ROFL. I wish that were true. They told us the same thing last year and then no one was notified until almost the very end of May. But we can cross our fingers...

NSERC applicants always hear back sooner than SSHRC applicants. Our grad secretary was telling me that she'd already received the NSERC results last week, but she wasn't expecting the SSHRC ones until May/June.

You are right it wasn't even before may... and master by the end of may.

Just thought I would go back to the SSHRC 2010 forum. Last year, the first answers came in by mail at the beginning of the second week of May (about the 10th). If they were late last year, and are not late this year, then we might be able to hear something by the end of April. It's the last month of waiting who those who are not wait-listed.

Thanks Alau for micro-foundations of SSHRC! It's always very interesting to learn how the beast works.

Zhangy, are you in the MA program now, or are you going to be in the fall? Regardless, welcome to UToronto Economics. You'll see me in the department often enough. My office is in the basement, by the TA office hour room.

Awesome......

Which year are you in? Can I have your email address? My email is

Email me

Thanks, ^o^

I too am playing the waiting game (MA - Joseph Bombardier - recommended by faculty)... Does anyone know if rejections come before or after offers? Presumably after, but it would be nice to know when to stop checking the mail with hope... Although based on the above comments it seems that it could go til mid-May.

I too am playing the waiting game (MA - Joseph Bombardier - recommended by faculty)... Does anyone know if rejections come before or after offers? Presumably after, but it would be nice to know when to stop checking the mail with hope... Although based on the above comments it seems that it could go til mid-May.

Also, someone mentioned FQRSC. I applied for that as well and have yet to hear anything other than that my application was received in October/November. Would love to hear if people have any information on that.

Thanks.

Well, if I don't hear by the end of April, I will call back and ask for the results, because I need to know as soon as possible for my military posting message to come through. The military aspect makes the whole process so much more complicated. Oh well!wink.gif

Just heard that my friend (Carleton U) received her rejection letter last week for PhD sshrc. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.