CGS D - PGS D 2023-2024 NSERC

Edd1

Yay, someone opened a thread for this round! I also creeped on last year's thread and was curious as to why this year seemed so quiet..

Ā 

I also assume, like last year, we will know around 26-30th. So, a few more weeks :(

Ā 

Good luck to everyone, and hope the waiting period is productive to all!

Joining in on this year's thread as a first time applicant- starting to get nervous!

I've heard about supervisors knowing before we do- is that a standard thing? Would I hear from them first?

This is my 2nd time trying, I feel a lot better about my application overall than I did last year. I'm also less nervous than last year, maybe because I've lived through one rejection already so I know I'll survive if it happens again haha.

Ā 

Ā 

21 hours ago, lolamm said:

Joining in on this year's thread as a first time applicant- starting to get nervous!

I've heard about supervisors knowing before we do- is that a standard thing? Would I hear from them first?

I have not heard this - I don't think so? Because the decisions are done right at the agency level (CHIR, SSHRC, NSERC) I don't know how they would gain access to that info before being released on our portal?

2 hours ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

I have not heard this - I don't think so? Because the decisions are done right at the agency level (CHIR, SSHRC, NSERC) I don't know how they would gain access to that info before being released on our portal?

That's what I thought as well! I was on last year's thread and saw this mentioned by multiple people, but I don't know how supervisors would know in advance.

So it isn't that the supervisors get an email, but generally the department (or University) will be informed, slightly before the candidates receive their emails (although it is supposed to be embargoed until the emails go out to all the candidates but it almost never works that way and the information trickles out).Ā 

Edited by Albd

Can anyone provide some prior stats on CGS-D for CIHR? As in how many applications are forwarded, how many awarded? I seem to find this info for SSHRC no problem, but I have no idea what the odds are simply based on numbers at this point and I'm beginning to obsess over it.Ā 

Also, I see SSHRC has multiple committees that evaluate different research areas/disciplines. Is CIHR like this too and they have separate committees so there are X number ranked and only Y are awarded and i'll know my ranking within the committee? Or is my ranking going to be CIHR-wide?Ā 

17 hours ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

Can anyone provide some prior stats on CGS-D for CIHR? As in how many applications are forwarded, how many awarded? I seem to find this info for SSHRC no problem, but I have no idea what the odds are simply based on numbers at this point and I'm beginning to obsess over it.Ā 

Also, I see SSHRC has multiple committees that evaluate different research areas/disciplines. Is CIHR like this too and they have separate committees so there are X number ranked and only Y are awarded and i'll know my ranking within the committee? Or is my ranking going to be CIHR-wide?Ā 

So when i applied for 2021 (which i didn't get) for category A there were 499 applications and 104 were approved. For category B there were 372 applications and 73 got approved. I found out April 15 2021.Ā 

1 hour ago, Alex_P said:

So when i applied for 2021 (which i didn't get) for category A there were 499 applications and 104 were approved. For category B there were 372 applications and 73 got approved. I found out April 15 2021.Ā 

Do you know if theĀ  ones approved were for CGS-D, PGS-D, or both? if that's for PGS-D damn that is a lot more competitive than NSERC (stats here)

I applied for the doctor

2 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

Do you know if theĀ  ones approved were for CGS-D, PGS-D, or both? if that's for PGS-D damn that is a lot more competitive than NSERC (stats here)

I applied for the doctoral CIHR so i think it's just for that!

Are the schools notified of the results also? I got a very strange email this am that said "as a current CGS award holder you may qualify for...." quickly followed by (like 5 minutes later) an email that said they'd pre-emptively sent that out and it was from their list of "pending results" and so now I am clearly looking too far into this. Would the schools get notice ahead of the applicants or do they learn about the awards at the very same time the notices are released on our research net?Ā 

59 minutes ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

Are the schools notified of the results also? I got a very strange email this am that said "as a current CGS award holder you may qualify for...." quickly followed by (like 5 minutes later) an email that said they'd pre-emptively sent that out and it was from their list of "pending results" and so now I am clearly looking too far into this. Would the schools get notice ahead of the applicants or do they learn about the awards at the very same time the notices are released on our research net?Ā 

Yeah schools are notified of results also, usually at about the same time as applicants as I understand it (my source for this is creeping previous threads on this forum so take everything I say with a grain of salt). You applied for CIHR correct? I think CIHR results usually come out earlier than NSERC, they were released April 15th last year, so maybe the results are about to be released and you got CGS-DĀ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

3 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

Yeah schools are notified of results also, usually at about the same time as applicants as I understand it (my source for this is creeping previous threads on this forum so take everything I say with a grain of salt). You applied for CIHR correct? I think CIHR results usually come out earlier than NSERC, they were released April 15th last year, so maybe the results are about to be released and you got CGS-DĀ šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

the amount of extrapolating and mental gymnastics I'm doing right now rivals a circus. I was chilled out enough to wait until next Tuesday and I'm now on refresh mode.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

the amount of extrapolating and mental gymnastics I'm doing right now rivals a circus. I was chilled out enough to wait until next Tuesday and I'm now on refresh mode.Ā 

R.I.P. to your productivity today, hope you get good news soonĀ 

14 minutes ago, cardiorenalsyndrome said:

This year, the researchnet website says the CIHR CGS-D results will be released April 25th (much later than previous years, for some odd reason). This is making me so nervous šŸ˜•

Yea I saw that, I assumed the date was the same for all councils and was in years prior too?Ā 

Frustrating that it is so late!

2 hours ago, fridgezipper said:

I wonder if we'll have to wait even longer now that federal government workers are going on strike...

Oh no..... Isn't there also supposed to be a walk out on May 1 for all post grads/ post doc researchers for wage increase? Much commotion this time around.Ā It's been a running theme on these forums where every year for the last three years, people say "it's taking longer for results this year than last year..."

Guess the strike is gonna mean we continue the new normal šŸ˜•

Can we populate this thread (or a new thread, idk) with some positive energy-like sharing what kinds of work everyone else is doing? I want to know what my fellow grad students are doing in different disciplines. At least, we'll have gained some knowledge at the end of all this waiting, if nothing else.

According to thisĀ Reddit threadĀ NSERC isnā€™t unionized so presumably not part of the PSAC strike so maybe weā€™ll be okay?Ā 
Ā 

there is a nationwide walkout planned for may 1st by the support our science folks! Friendly reminder that while CGS-D and PGS-D are prestigious awards their value hasnā€™t increased for TWENTY years šŸ™ƒ

5 hours ago, fridgezipper said:

According to thisĀ Reddit threadĀ NSERC isnā€™t unionized so presumably not part of the PSAC strike so maybe weā€™ll be okay?Ā 
Ā 

there is a nationwide walkout planned for may 1st by the support our science folks! Friendly reminder that while CGS-D and PGS-D are prestigious awards their value hasnā€™t increased for TWENTY years šŸ™ƒ

I didn't realize it had been so long, but that makes sense and is really sad. At this point, PGS D is less than the minimum funding at my school (and of course they don't stack). It's really only worth applying for the low chance of a CGS D, otherwise I'll still be just as poor lol.

My supervisor mentioned that they signed a petition calling on the federal/provincial governments to increase research student funding so hopefully all of this noise turns into some results!

1 hour ago, waitingsucks said:

I didn't realize it had been so long, but that makes sense and is really sad. At this point, PGS D is less than the minimum funding at my school (and of course they don't stack). It's really only worth applying for the low chance of a CGS D, otherwise I'll still be just as poor lol.

My supervisor mentioned that they signed a petition calling on the federal/provincial governments to increase research student funding so hopefully all of this noise turns into some results!

Couple of links for people to look over:

https://sciencepolicy.ca/posts/support-our-science-the-need-for-increased-graduate-students-and-post-doctoral-scholars-in-canada/

Marc Johnson on Twitter: "Attn *ALL* Canadian scientists & engineers!  Sign open letter to @JustinTrudeau & @FP_Champagne  (https://t.co/Bs7Y8vYZDv) asking the CDN Gov to increase @NSERC_CRSNG  graduate student funding to above the poverty

or this one:

A plot with amount in Canadian dollars on the y-axis and years (since 2008) on the x-axis. One line shows the value of the NSERC PGS doctoral award since 2008 (it is flat). Another line shows the Canadian poverty line for a single individual living in cities with more than five hundred thousand people in Canada.