CGS D - PGS D 2023-2024 NSERC

Edd1

Hello!

congrats to all the award recipients, and a hug to those who were not so lucky this round. You will get it next year!Ā 
Ā 

I have a quick question! I was awarded with the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. I know that the $ amount differs from the CGSD scholarship, but Iā€™m wondering if I can accept it in addition to what my PhD program offered me? I donā€™t know what the difference is to be honest. If someone can clarify this it will be very appreciated šŸ˜Š thank you!

3 hours ago, sadphd said:

Is there any point in getting my hopes up about this? Do additional funds ever "become available"?

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 12.16.21 PM.png

It depends on your actual ranking. You can send NSERC an email and they will tell you your ranking among your committee. If you're 1 or 2 places from the line, you have a pretty good chance of getting it.

14 hours ago, mademoiselle_renaissance said:

Hello!

congrats to all the award recipients, and a hug to those who were not so lucky this round. You will get it next year!Ā 
Ā 

I have a quick question! I was awarded with the SSHRC doctoral fellowship. I know that the $ amount differs from the CGSD scholarship, but Iā€™m wondering if I can accept it in addition to what my PhD program offered me? I donā€™t know what the difference is to be honest. If someone can clarify this it will be very appreciated šŸ˜Š thank you!

Generally in this case you accept the scholarship, but how much of it you get as "extra" money will depend on your University, department, and supervisor. Basically, one of three things can happen:

1. You get your award money but you no longer get any stipend. This is ok if you win a large award (i.e. CGS D or Vanier), but is not so great if your scholarship ends up being basically the same amount as your stipend already was. In that case, youĀ get the prestige of the award but no extra money.
  2. You get your award money plus a reduced stipend. I think that this is fairly common. Basically you end up getting some bonus over what you made before, but not the full combination of your scholarship + a standard stipend.Ā 
  3. You get your full award amount + standard stipend. This is the dream but I think pretty rare in practice.

Your supervisor probably already has a way of dealing with this, but things can also operate on a case-by-case basis, so you'll have to discuss with them to see where you'll end up.

4 hours ago, topti said:

It depends on your actual ranking. You can send NSERC an email and they will tell you your ranking among your committee. If you're 1 or 2 places from the line, you have a pretty good chance of getting it.

I emailed them...I guess it will probably take a while to hear anything but looks like it's back obsessively checking my email again just like before getting my result šŸ˜­.

1 hour ago, sadphd said:

I emailed them...I guess it will probably take a while to hear anything but looks like it's back obsessively checking my email again just like before getting my result šŸ˜­.

Good luck! It's not a bad thing to be waitlisted - you know you just need to strengthen your application a little bit to get the award next time.

Unfortunately this was my last year of eligibility, which is why I'm such a nervous wreck about it. I suppose knowing my application for this at least made it all the way to the waitlist will give me more confidence when applying for other awards though.

On 4/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, Fazi said:

I just received the email and got the award (SSHRC)! Finally!

Congratulations! Did the email come from SSHRC directly, or from your institution? I've wasted so much time this week anxiously checking my emails and it's driving me maddddd.Ā 

13 hours ago, Na_arf said:

Congratulations! Did the email come from SSHRC directly, or from your institution? I've wasted so much time this week anxiously checking my emails and it's driving me maddddd.Ā 

Thank you! I received the results directly from SSHRC two days ago. Yesterday, my university sent me an email asking for an update on my outcome, indicating that they were not informed of the results before the students.

44 minutes ago, nerd_inthecorner said:

Hey is anyone STILL waiting for an email, or?Ā 

I've been at a conference for the past week so it's possible I missed it, what's the subject title?

This morning, I sent an email to my committee (SSHRC) informing them of my acceptance of the award. Shortly after, I received an automated reply which included the following message:

"Due to technical issues, results for the 2023 Doctoral Awards competition have not yet been shared with all applicants as initially anticipated. SSHRC continues to gradually release results directly to applicants via the SSHRC Extranet for Applicant and candidates might still be waiting for their results.

The result notifications should be sent to all applicants over the next few days. In addition, due to a high volume of logins on our platform, candidates may experience difficulties accessing their account. We invite them to be patient as we work to resolve this issue.

"

Ā 

1 minute ago, Fazi said:

This morning, I sent an email to my committee (SSHRC) informing them of my acceptance of the award. Shortly after, I received an automated reply which included the following message:

"Due to technical issues, results for the 2023 Doctoral Awards competition have not yet been shared with all applicants as initially anticipated. SSHRC continues to gradually release results directly to applicants via the SSHRC Extranet for Applicant and candidates might still be waiting for their results.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The result notifications should be sent to all applicants over the next few days. In addition, due to a high volume of logins on our platform, candidates may experience difficulties accessing their account. We invite them to be patient as we work to resolve this issue.

Ā 

"

Ā 

Ā 

I'm not with SSHRC though, I'm a biologist

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...