CGS D - PGS D 2023-2024 NSERC

Edd1

4 hours ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

mmmm anxiety. So you think this strike will impact their timeline to release decisions? Do you think our schools know and could at least tell us so we are put out of our misery?? 

Depends if the tri-councils are effected by the strike or not... unclear at this point 

17 minutes ago, TRIUMF-Phys said:

Still heard nothing, I guess we will wait.

Does anyone know what happens with the current RA if we get an award? I'd assume there is some kind of top up, but does anyone know how much?

Would be nice if this just fully stacked on our current income...

Been wondering the same thing, I think it varies between universities and departments. Are there any award holders who can comment on how their pay changed once they received the award?

It definitely depends on your university, department, and where your funding is coming from. For example, in the department I'm in, if the award is lower than the funding you already receive from them, the source of your funding changes but the amount of income you receive does not. Basically, you are just saving the department money by winning the award, which I found out last year 🙃. However, if your funding is coming directly from a supervisor/industry, they may be able to continue supplying your funding on top of your award - depending on the terms of grants/contracts. 

6 hours ago, waitingsucks said:

It definitely depends on your university, department, and where your funding is coming from. For example, in the department I'm in, if the award is lower than the funding you already receive from them, the source of your funding changes but the amount of income you receive does not. Basically, you are just saving the department money by winning the award, which I found out last year 🙃. However, if your funding is coming directly from a supervisor/industry, they may be able to continue supplying your funding on top of your award - depending on the terms of grants/contracts. 

Same here - if its lower than my stipend it just goes towards my minimum funding and they provide a super tiny top up (for all awards not per award). If it exceeds my funding then it they just no longer fund me. If I have other awards typically those awards are reduced if I received other awards over a certain amount. All of the stipulations will be listed in the award terms and your funding contract from your school, but straight stacking is unlikely. i.e., I have one award for $15k/year for X years, I can stack that on top of my stipend funding (due to the award conditions), but if I get CGS-D it is reduced to $5k/year. So it is NOT  $15k(award) + $35k (CGS-D) + $20k (min funding) - it would be a total of $35k (CGS-D) + $5k(top up from other award). - Clear as mud? It is different for every department and every award so impossible to give you an exact number! 

15 hours ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

Same here - if its lower than my stipend it just goes towards my minimum funding and they provide a super tiny top up (for all awards not per award). If it exceeds my funding then it they just no longer fund me. If I have other awards typically those awards are reduced if I received other awards over a certain amount. All of the stipulations will be listed in the award terms and your funding contract from your school, but straight stacking is unlikely. i.e., I have one award for $15k/year for X years, I can stack that on top of my stipend funding (due to the award conditions), but if I get CGS-D it is reduced to $5k/year. So it is NOT  $15k(award) + $35k (CGS-D) + $20k (min funding) - it would be a total of $35k (CGS-D) + $5k(top up from other award). - Clear as mud? It is different for every department and every award so impossible to give you an exact number! 

Ahhhh yep okay, that makes sense. When I was applying for Masters scholarships I remember learning this and being astounded that the recipient of the scholarship doesn't really benefit. However, I was awarded a CGSM and my supervisor still topped me up around $12k I think so I was a bit higher than the minimum funding for my university.

Here's hoping that if I get a xGSD my supervisor will do the same... 

Maybe that's a bit premature though. Will have to wait until the end of April to see if I should bother spending time thinking about this.

Thanks for the info though!

30 minutes ago, Rachkoala said:

Does anyone see any changes to the status of their application. Ever since I submitted to the national competition, it just says "Received".

Mine went through research net becuase it was CIHR and its been in Peer Review since forever (November? December? maybe?). 

No changes anywhere 

4 hours ago, Rachkoala said:

Does anyone see any changes to the status of their application. Ever since I submitted to the national competition, it just says "Received".

Edit: Applied for NSERC

Mine says the same. I submitted through my department and they submitted to NSERC on my behalf.

Has said, "received," ever since.

16 hours ago, Rachkoala said:

Edit: Applied for NSERC

Mine is the same- submitted through department, still just says received.

59 minutes ago, lolamm said:

Mine is the same- submitted through department, still just says received.

I'm an SSHRC applicant (submitted by my department), not NSERC, but at a point maybe a month or two my application just disappeared from the portal. My CV is still there, but my application is no longer listed. Another student from my department noticed the same. I was wondering if anyone here has noticed something similar? 

23 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

I'm an SSHRC applicant (submitted by my department), not NSERC, but at a point maybe a month or two my application just disappeared from the portal. My CV is still there, but my application is no longer listed. Another student from my department noticed the same. I was wondering if anyone here has noticed something similar? 

I am also a SSHRC applicant, and mine also disappeared from the portal months ago. We have a different application system than nserc

Thank you for the clarification, this is helpful! Such a long wait—hopefully we all get some closure soon. 

41 minutes ago, neverwinter22 said:

I am also a SSHRC applicant, and mine also disappeared from the portal months ago. We have a different application system than nserc

The NSERC extranet where results are communicated is a different site entirely than the application portal, so you won't get any early news by checking back on your application. In fact, my rejected application from last year still shows the "Received" status in the application portal.

Even once the emails start sending out, it can be a couple of (nervewracking) hours before you get your result. Last year mine rolled in around 8:00 PM Eastern time. Unfortunately there's no real way to know anything until you receive that email, so try to stay strong until then!

3 hours ago, chicha3maddy said:

I know that @neverwinter22replied but I wanted to double up their info by saying I confirmed with SSHRC offices that this is normal.

1 hour ago, timeforschool said:

The NSERC extranet where results are communicated is a different site entirely than the application portal, so you won't get any early news by checking back on your application. In fact, my rejected application from last year still shows the "Received" status in the application portal.

Even once the emails start sending out, it can be a couple of (nervewracking) hours before you get your result. Last year mine rolled in around 8:00 PM Eastern time. Unfortunately there's no real way to know anything until you receive that email, so try to stay strong until then!

well....I shall not book anything important for Tuesday and assume I'll be entirely unable to focus on anything hahah

1 hour ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

well....I shall not book anything important for Tuesday and assume I'll be entirely unable to focus on anything hahah

So previous years NSERC has been later than the other councils so I would just put it out of mind completely. It has been a bit of a shitshow other years, so don't hold your breath for Tuesday.

40 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

I’m convinced that this forum is just a place for neurospicy graduate students to come and be validated that there are others like us with habits for compulsively and anxiously refreshing things that aren’t due to change for weeks 

Seriously! My dept and the NSERC site somewhere both said "end of April" and I've been stressed since like the beginning of March

On 4/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

I have not heard this - I don't think so? Because the decisions are done right at the agency level (CHIR, SSHRC, NSERC) I don't know how they would gain access to that info before being released on our portal?

Supervisors are advised before students are. My supervisor told me. Good luck!

Impatiently waiting for the results! Glad to see that everyone is experiencing the same levels of anxiety as me!

I recently discovered that my application will be considered for PGS D or CGS D (which is more cash), so IFF I were to win, I am hoping for the CGS D.