2011 Applications

NadaJ

I only applied to UCLA and was accepted into their Social Welfare program on February 19th via email. It stated that a decision had been made on my application and said to check the graduate division website. I checked and it forwarded me to a letter saying I was in! :)

I wasn't expecting to get accepted so soon! GOOD LUCK TO ALL FUTURE MSW'S!!

I only applied to UCLA and was accepted into their Social Welfare program on February 19th via email. It stated that a decision had been made on my application and said to check the graduate division website. I checked and it forwarded me to a letter saying I was in! :)

I wasn't expecting to get accepted so soon! GOOD LUCK TO ALL FUTURE MSW'S!!

Amazing feeling, isn't it? I did a little dance when I got into my top choice :)

my Columbia admission letter is back online for you guys who are waiting for columbia results.

You know what's funny? Idk if it's me but I haven't received my admission letter yet.

I applied for the advanced standing program to CUSSW. Anyone else applied for the advanced standing program and received their notification letter?

my Columbia admission letter is back online for you guys who are waiting for columbia results.

I still haven't heard back from Columbia, and the link doesn't seem to be working. Is that a bad sign? Do you mind me asking which program you applied to? and, Congrats on getting in!

Hi everyone,

I have not heard back from Columbia either.

I have a quick question...when you say you are going to a "link", you mean you are going in to your application and seeing if there is a link that will direct you to the decision?

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

Still waiting on USC and Cal States....Does anyone know if we will hear via Email first? I applied in Jan, but some people are getting acceptances!!!! I feel like I am about to have a system overload!!! How is everyone else holding up!?

CONGRATSSSS!!!!!! THAT IS SOO EXCITING! :D

I got an email today directing me to website to find out that I was accepted at UCLA!! Pretty exciting, I'm now between USC or UCLA???

Congratulations Pumpkinpie88! That's wonderful news!

I am still waiting to hear back about the wait list, but it looks promising that if I don't get accepted to the PhD, I will accept SSA's MA offer. My husband is scared to death of moving (finding a job, what to do with our house in this market). I have had a great experience with the School of Social Work here at the U of MN, but there are so many opportunities in Chicago for someone with my mix of education and experiences, than here in Minnesota.

Just found this site after searching for ANYTHING for MSWs - forums or otherwise. The only other site I've used is StudentDoctor.net... which is very active for PhDs and clinical psych (experience from applying last year) but the MSW section definitely is less exciting.

Anyways, I only applied to two schools U. of Denver (DU) Clinical MSW (Families) & Virginia Commonwealth's Clinical MSW (VCU). I actually applied to both programs scarily close to the deadlines of February 1st... you know, just to keep it interesting and all! ;o)

So far I've been accepted into DU's program (via snail mail on 3/4/11 - even though I had received a telling email on 3/1/11 asking me to sign up for their admitted students group). DU also gave me a nice faculty merit scholarship (the only type of scholarships given with acceptance letters in increments of 10k, 14k, or 18k per year) - but I'm still holding out for the decisions on the other types of funding (program merit scholarships, tuition scholarships, and named/endowed scholarships) that will come out late March or very early April.

I haven't heard a peep from VCU.

I feel like I'm a piece of meat going to the highest bidder - as it's really going to come down who can give me a better financial incentive to attend (as I already have one MA and the dept to go with it! haha).

To me VCU is more prestigious of a program, but Denver has amazing faculty in the human/animal connection and trauma. Also, Denver is typically much higher in costs (as VCU is in state for me) but in a MUCH more desirable location. I currently live near VCU and really don't like the campus or Richmond as a whole for that matter. Denver's campus is beautiful and Denver is an outstanding city. Sigh. Can you tell I'm torn? Anyways, I'll get back on my meat hook now and wait for the highest bidder! teehee.

Hey guys I'm a first time poster and I'm anxiously waiting for admissions decisions. In addition to Masters programs in Social Work I also applied to two programs in Genetic Counseling, which I'm also interested in. For Social Work, I applied to Columbia, NYU, CUNY Hunter, Boston, and I will be submitting my applications to U Pitt and Fordham this week. I got rejected from Columbia :-/ so I really can't wait to hear back from the other schools...hopefully I'll have better luck elsewhere...Does anyone know when NYU sends out decisions???

Hey Shaakira20,

I just want to let you know that I recieved a rejection letter from NYU today. I had a gut feeling about this one but am waiting to hear better new about Columbia. So it should be on the way.

Good luck!

Hey guys I'm a first time poster and I'm anxiously waiting for admissions decisions. In addition to Masters programs in Social Work I also applied to two programs in Genetic Counseling, which I'm also interested in. For Social Work, I applied to Columbia, NYU, CUNY Hunter, Boston, and I will be submitting my applications to U Pitt and Fordham this week. I got rejected from Columbia :-/ so I really can't wait to hear back from the other schools...hopefully I'll have better luck elsewhere...Does anyone know when NYU sends out decisions???

Just found this forum too! Glad to find people in the same boat as me. I applied to UCLA, Berkeley, Columbia and University of Washington. I haven't heard from any of them, and I am going a little crazy. I really wish Columbia did not say we would have a decision "on or around March 3rd." It's the 9th! UCLA and Washington said all decisions would be out by April, so I will just have to be patient. Then, for Berkeley, I interviewed for the child welfare stipend, and they said that we would not release decisions until all the interviews were done.

Hope you all are faring well in the waiting game, and congrats to everyone who has already received acceptances!

Edited by waitingwaitingwaiting

FYI for the Berkeley applicants:

Just got a call from the Title IV-E project coordinator (although I didn't apply to the program) asking if I was interested in interviewing for a stipend. She also confirmed that I was accepted to the Children & Families concentration.... decision time!

Some of you C&F people might be getting calls before Friday. Good luck to all!

That's great! Did you end up doing the interview? Does that mean that even if you do not get the stipend, you can still attend the school? I ask because I applied for the stipend program from the get go, so my admission to the school depends upon receiving the stipend.

That's great! Did you end up doing the interview? Does that mean that even if you do not get the stipend, you can still attend the school? I ask because I applied for the stipend program from the get go, so my admission to the school depends upon receiving the stipend.

I ended up turning down the interview. I wanted more flexibility in my studies and field work and the IV-E program would have restricted me more than I'd like. When the project coordinator called she told me I had been accepted to the Children & Families concentration; that I could interview for IV-E without giving up my spot in the C&F concentration and then pick one or the other if I was offered the stipend. I guess if you just applied to the IV-E program they would be the only ones to consider your application.

So you have one less person competing with you for the stipend. Good luck, I hope you get it!

I ended up turning down the interview. I wanted more flexibility in my studies and field work and the IV-E program would have restricted me more than I'd like. When the project coordinator called she told me I had been accepted to the Children & Families concentration; that I could interview for IV-E without giving up my spot in the C&F concentration and then pick one or the other if I was offered the stipend. I guess if you just applied to the IV-E program they would be the only ones to consider your application.

So you have one less person competing with you for the stipend. Good luck, I hope you get it!

Oh man, I almost wish I didn't apply for the stipend now! But it's okay. There's no guaranteeing I would have been offered an interview. Congrats on the admittance, though! Have you decided on a school?

On 3/9/2011 at 8:00 PM, waitingwaitingwaiting said:

Oh man, I almost wish I didn't apply for the stipend now! But it's okay. There's no guaranteeing I would have been offered an interview. Congrats on the admittance, though! Have you decided on a school?

Well, if I can figure out how to pay for Berkeley (I'm out of state) I'll do it. But I'm still waiting on UCLA, U of Denver, U of Washington, Boston College and WUSTL. We'll see!

Thanks! and you too! The suspense is seriously killing me wacko.gif

Hey Shaakira20,

I just want to let you know that I recieved a rejection letter from NYU today. I had a gut feeling about this one but am waiting to hear better new about Columbia. So it should be on the way.

Good luck!