HGSE 2024

Here2Teach

Hello everyone! I applied last year and was sadly waitlisted. But planning to apply again this upcoming year, and I would love to connect with others applying to HGSE for Fall 2024! 🙂 

I copied what I used last year to start the thread (thank you SO MUCH to @TabTurbo for doing this originally!), and have tried to update it:

HGSE Basic Info

Admission Stats

HGSE Publications

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, Jo-E said:

Hi! I will be starting at HGSE in the fall...I still pinch myself to make sure it is real. I will try and share things from my year at HGSE here in the chat, to hopefully help everyone applying this year. Good luck!

Thank you @Jo-E for being willing to help all of us out applying/re-applying. Can I message you a question?

Hi everyone! I'm a recent grad of the ELOE program (just graduated last month). This group was so helpful to me when I was applying, even if I was mostly a lurker. Please feel free to message me if anyone has any questions about HGSE in general or the ELOE program in particular. :) Wishing you all good luck as you apply!

• 2 months later...

I feel weird bumping my own post, but I am eager to connect with any others applicants to HGSE that are out there! 🙂 

Previous years people have posted their stats (huge thanks to @graciasadios and @mjsmith for taking all of the previous years data from folks and compiling it). Wanted to share a bit about me again using the template I got from @DogeCoin the last go around.

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No concertation......though I am toying with adding the Early Childhood Education concentration. 
GRE: Have not taken, but might if it would boost my chances. I have been out of school a while, and I'm intimidated by this to be honest. Would love feedback here if any current students/alumni have any thoughts or suggestions.
Work experience: 10 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S. I've mostly been a 2nd grade teacher, but have taught everything K-3rd grade
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: None for me. I do wonder if this hurt my chances last year. 
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from the assistant superintendent. The last one is a different recommender than my previous application last cycle.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. If anyone else has done this, or would be in a similar boat I would love to connect! 🙂

Edited by Here2Teach

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Here2Teach said:

Welcome @hgse_4mepls! I'd absolutely love to keep in touch. 🙂 What program are you thinking about applying to?

Thank you!
I want to apply to the online program.

I also contacted them, and based on what they said, I think I will wait until next year before applying so that I can accumulate one more year of full-time experience.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve my profile? 
https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/166424-do-i-have-a-chancehow-can-i-prepare/

On 9/7/2023 at 9:17 PM, hgse_4mepls said:

Thank you!
I want to apply to the online program.

I also contacted them, and based on what they said, I think I will wait until next year before applying so that I can accumulate one more year of full-time experience.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve my profile? 
https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/166424-do-i-have-a-chancehow-can-i-prepare/

While I can only comment as a fellow applicant, your profile looks VERY impressive to me! I would think HGSE would be quite interested in you. I think just being your authentic self and explaining "Why HGSE?" "Why this program?" and "Why now?" would be what HGSE would want to hear from you. Hoping that an alum or current student can confirm this. :)

Happy to be on this journey with you!

1 hour ago, Here2Teach said:

While I can only comment as a fellow applicant, your profile looks VERY impressive to me! I would think HGSE would be quite interested in you. I think just being your authentic self and explaining "Why HGSE?" "Why this program?" and "Why now?" would be what HGSE would want to hear from you. Hoping that an alum or current student can confirm this. :)

Happy to be on this journey with you!

Thank you so much for the positivity and the encouragement!

I think that I can provide some pretty convincing reasons for the three Why's. 

Good luck to you! Let's stay in touch - even though I'm applying next cycle!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I will be applying to the HGSE ELOE program for the 2024 cohort. I look forward to talking with you all about the application process. I just watched the ELOE webinar that was conducted recently (found here: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions-and-aid/recorded-webinars) and it was super helpful!

I took time to fill out this template that Here2Teach offered (Thank you!!)

Program/Concentration:  Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship with a concentration in early childhood
GRE: I didn't take the GRE and I was planning on not taking it 😬
Work experience: 5 years experience as a business owner (not related to education), 3 years of professional teaching experience (mostly ECE) and 2 years of volunteering as a teacher's assistant
Undergrad: BA in Psychology (UC Berkeley), AA in Psychology and Elementary Teaching Prep (Heavy focus on child development)
Undergrad GPA: 3.94
Research: No formal research other than the meager independent researches I did in my education fieldwork classes. I may reference my papers in my SOP and ~maybe~ my CV. my former GSI suggested ways in which to mildly embellish the research one has done. Definitely not lie, but make it sound fancier than it may actually be.
LORs: 1 undergrad professor (also observed my teaching abilities while I was obtaining my child development teacher permit), 1 graduate student instructor from undergrad who taught one of my classes, 1 professional reference from the director of student service at the community college I went to and worked for
Other info: I graduated with my BA at 30 (I went back to school at 26) So while I have a good amount of work experience, it is a bit scattered and I am now fresh out of school with having not worked the last two years years during school. I am hoping to beautifully explain my unique path in my SOP 😆

11 minutes ago, Zosoo said:

Hello everyone! I will be applying to the HGSE ELOE program for the 2024 cohort. I look forward to talking with you all about the application process. I just watched the ELOE webinar that was conducted recently (found here: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions-and-aid/recorded-webinars) and it was super helpful!

I took time to fill out this template that Here2Teach offered (Thank you!!)

Program/Concentration:  Education Leadership, Organizations, and Entrepreneurship with a concentration in early childhood
GRE: I didn't take the GRE and I was planning on not taking it 😬
Work experience: 5 years experience as a business owner (not related to education), 3 years of professional teaching experience (mostly ECE) and 2 years of volunteering as a teacher's assistant
Undergrad: BA in Psychology (UC Berkeley), AA in Psychology and Elementary Teaching Prep (Heavy focus on child development)
Undergrad GPA: 3.94
Research: No formal research other than the meager independent researches I did in my education fieldwork classes. I may reference my papers in my SOP and ~maybe~ my CV. my former GSI suggested ways in which to mildly embellish the research one has done. Definitely not lie, but make it sound fancier than it may actually be.
LORs: 1 undergrad professor (also observed my teaching abilities while I was obtaining my child development teacher permit), 1 graduate student instructor from undergrad who taught one of my classes, 1 professional reference from the director of student service at the community college I went to and worked for
Other info: I graduated with my BA at 30 (I went back to school at 26) So while I have a good amount of work experience, it is a bit scattered and I am now fresh out of school with having not worked the last two years years during school. I am hoping to beautifully explain my unique path in my SOP 😆

Welcome @Zosoo! Glad you are joining us all here on this journey. You have (to me) a strong application, and such a unique path. I bet HGSE will find that compelling. Good luck to you on the journey!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 12:15 PM, night2r said:

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone here is attending the open house event?

Are you talking about the open house later this month? I really wish I could attend it! Sadly too far away from me to make it there.

If you do go, would you be willing to share anything you learn from there with us here? Pretty please! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 3:55 PM, night2r said:

Does anyone know if HGSE is need blind or need aware during the application review process?

I know Harvard is need bind for undergrads but I have been seeing comments online (unreliable I know haha) that applying for financial aid will impact admission decisions..

Oh, I am applying for the LDIT program by the way x)

I was in one online information session and someone from admissions mentioned that admissions is need-blind. I can't remember if it is from a session last year or this year though, and I have attended several of them.

I will try and find some concrete evidence of this, and I will share it here when I am able to find it. 🙂

• 1 month later...