Teachers College Columbia

chak

i did - for the i/o program - you?

Psychological Counseling masters program (Mental Health Counseling specification)

How are things on your end(regarding Teachers College) so far?

Edited by chak

For those that are interested, Teachers College admissions stated that they usually get back to students that apply to the Psychological Counseling masters program during early to middle of march so I'm a bit anxious waiting two long months for their response.

Did anybody apply to, or is currently attending, the 1 year masters program in clinical psychology? I have a couple of broad questions relating to the structure of the program as well as admissions requirements. I can't seem to find the information on their website.

Hey guys - I'm a first year in the Soc/Org PhD program this year. Let me know if I can answer any questions you have.

@Fuddy

What are the requirements for admission into the 1 year masters program in clinical psychology applied:personality and psychopathology? I am currently in the application process (waiting for my acceptance/rejection in march) and because of their policy of allowing only one application per semester I am considering transferring my application over from the 2 year psychological couseling program.

Besides it being purely academic, is there anything good or bad about the clinical psychology masters program that I should know about? I've heard from a professor that used to teach at Teachers College and he said that there is always drama/problems regarding the clinical psychology program and that its better to stay in the counseling program instead. Anything would be helpful!

Edited by chak

Hey guys - I'm a first year in the Soc/Org PhD program this year. Let me know if I can answer any questions you have.

@fuddy

I applied for the Phd in Social/ Org psych for this coming Fall. Do you know around when the program may start making decisions?

I applied this program too. Admission officer told me that decision would be made at the end of Feb/ early Mar. Hope we all get good news.~~~

@fuddy

I applied for the Phd in Social/ Org psych for this coming Fall. Do you know around when the program may start making decisions?

@Fuddy

What are the requirements for admission into the 1 year masters program in clinical psychology applied:personality and psychopathology? I am currently in the application process (waiting for my acceptance/rejection in march) and because of their policy of allowing only one application per semester I am considering transferring my application over from the 2 year psychological couseling program.

Besides it being purely academic, is there anything good or bad about the clinical psychology masters program that I should know about? I've heard from a professor that used to teach at Teachers College and he said that there is always drama/problems regarding the clinical psychology program and that its better to stay in the counseling program instead. Anything would be helpful!

Chak- there are evidently fundamental differences between Clinical and Counseling psych, so wouldn't you just stick to what you want to do, to what your end goal is? I'm sure one of the programs would probably fit better with what you want to do eventually, and not both. Or, at least, one, and not both, would match better with your research interests.

Does anyone know about admission stats to TC's programs or where they can be found? I'm specifically interested in the Clinical program.

I'm Canadian and generally know very little about american unis, hehe.. but I understand that this is a top uni, worldwide. Wikipedia says that Columbia admits less than ten percent of it's applicants which would probably mean that average gpas of admitted students are close to 4.0s. Does anyone know?

Thanks!!!

I don't know if the person who got the interview email (for Social-Org PhD) is reading this, but if so, which faculty emailed you? (I wasn't expecting anything or at least a week, but now..... pins and needles every day!!)

I suspect you are asking about the PhD and unfortunately I don't know. For what it's worth, acceptances for the social-org masters are sent around March 15 (for the January 15 deadline).

Does anyone know about admission stats to TC's programs or where they can be found? I'm specifically interested in the Clinical program.

I'm Canadian and generally know very little about american unis, hehe.. but I understand that this is a top uni, worldwide. Wikipedia says that Columbia admits less than ten percent of it's applicants which would probably mean that average gpas of admitted students are close to 4.0s. Does anyone know?

Thanks!!!

Where on Wikipedia did you find this? I took a look and saw that the UNDERGRAD admission rate is about 10%, but nothing for graduate.... and nothing listed for TC specifically, unless I just missed it. A friend of mine who used to work in the admissions office of TC said that because they don't have any funding (no access to Columbia's budget, endowments, etc.), they tend to admit more students than a lot of other places.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the Cognitive Studies in Education PhD.

As did I, except my application was for the MA and submitted on rolling basis after the general Jan 15th deadline. Generally, I have heard through other members on the boards that HUD sends out decisions 2 weeks into March. The academic department received my completed application earlier this month so I am hoping it will be evaluated shortly. Not sure when admissions notifies rolling candidates.

Edited by ShaEnYsi