It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Got into the University of Toronto- which was my top choice. Feels great!

Congrats! U of T is a great place!

I briefly considered going there for the science/medicine library alone!

What's your field?

Edited by Henry Hudson

I just got mine too...one of my top choices...feeling terribly sad.

Don't feel too blue! I'm sure something will work out.

Meanwhile, another pricey form letter from the graduate school for me. Minnesota! Worst fit of all the schools I applied to, but I'm curious to see if they bothered to admit their first Middle Eastern history student this cycle at all.

I decided to change my signature to be more realistic.

Edited by sankd

Wait listed by Chicago. Disappointed, since I've heard great things about the department and had an adviser who strongly encouraged me to apply. He even hand wrote my rec letter, saying it would show my value. Lol

Wait listed by Chicago. Disappointed, since I've heard great things about the department and had an adviser who strongly encouraged me to apply. He even hand wrote my rec letter, saying it would show my value. Lol

I was just waitlisted by Chicago as well. I've decided to decline a position on the waitlist and rescind my applications that are still up in the air. Good luck to everyone else!

On 2/17/2011 at 6:04 PM, TransnationalHistory said:

Just got into Michigan! Got a personal e-mail that said the Graduate Admissions Committee had a meeting this afternoon.

I'm on pins and needles! Did they go ahead and give you a financial offer?

I'm on pins and needles! Did they go ahead and give you a financial offer?

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley

Rejected:

Yes, to quote: "An offer letter with all the details will reach you in early March. But in brief, the offer will include--over five full years--something like $23,000 per year in stipend, plus tuition, plus health insurance, plus a certain amount of research funding."

Not sure if it helps you, but they let me know that in my field (African) they accepted five people, including myself.

Good luck!

On 2/17/2011 at 7:42 PM, TransnationalHistory said:

Yes, to quote: "An offer letter with all the details will reach you in early March. But in brief, the offer will include--over five full years--something like $23,000 per year in stipend, plus tuition, plus health insurance, plus a certain amount of research funding."

Not sure if it helps you, but they let me know that in my field (African) they accepted five people, including myself.

Good luck!

Wow! That's a super generous offer! Congrats! Maybe only the African historians decided to email people personally, or the other areas haven't decided... I'm Japanese history, so. :) Nice to know that the decisions are underway, though! Thanks!

5 in African history seems like a decent sized group. I'm on pins and needles myself waiting for American history news. Seems like a pretty big couple of days though with acceptances for Chicago, Michigan and Rutgers all turning up. Looks like my big three might have all just given me the shaft.

I remain hopeful though.

Here's a question for those of you who received an acceptance from the graduate school itself, whether it be an official form email or letter by post. Did you then contact your POI at the university or the department acknowledging this in any way? I see some people get notified by individuals they've been in contact with, but if not should you reach out to them and express anything? I was just curious. I don't know what the proper etiquette is and wouldn't want it to seem like I am disinterested. Does one wait until after the department contacts them concerning funding?

I was just waitlisted by Chicago as well. I've decided to decline a position on the waitlist and rescind my applications that are still up in the air. Good luck to everyone else!

I also thought about doing that, but I've received an extremely kind email from a PA saying that he/she and others were very impressed by my application and strongly recommended that I be admitted. But the very limited number of spots made things complicated. He/she said that I should stay in touch if I remain interested after hearing from other schools, but that students tend to get admitted from the wait list late in the season and that it's hard to say if it would be before or after April 15.

Of course, I'd be awesomely thrilled to go to Chicago, it was my top choice, but it would be extremely difficult to risk my other admissions...

UGH.

I still haven't heard anything, despite the fact that it appeared that Chicago, at least, sent out some waitlists/acceptances today. I kind of feel like my worst nightmare is coming true, and that I will end up in mid-March with rejection after rejection. Ugh, sorry for the pessimism, but I can't believe that I'm still in limbo here.

I also thought about doing that, but I've received an extremely kind email from a PA saying that he/she and others were very impressed by my application and strongly recommended that I be admitted. But the very limited number of spots made things complicated. He/she said that I should stay in touch if I remain interested after hearing from other schools, but that students tend to get admitted from the wait list late in the season and that it's hard to say if it would be before or after April 15.

Of course, I'd be awesomely thrilled to go to Chicago, it was my top choice, but it would be extremely difficult to risk my other admissions...

UGH.

It seems to me that this is the worst case scenario (well, of all the acceptance dilemmas): getting waitlisted at your number one choice while getting accepted elsewhere. If that happens to me (ha!) I think I'd chicken out and go for the certain acceptance.

Good luck!

Congrats!

$23K? Seriously? It used to be around $16K, like 2 years ago. That's REALLY generous for Ann Arbor. So get yourself a nice apartment in a house in Kerrytown. :D And start shopping...fast.

I wonder where the money came from... probably due to cuts... as usual.

Congrats!

$23K? Seriously? It used to be around $16K, like 2 years ago. That's REALLY generous for Ann Arbor. So get yourself a nice apartment in a house in Kerrytown. :D And start shopping...fast.

I wonder where the money came from... probably due to cuts... as usual.

Michigan has like the second largest non-private university endowment in the nation. it's been a pretty big issue here in the state with budget woes as they are. A lot of people are talking about having Michigan go private since they suck up so much in state funding but have a massive endowment.

That does seem disproportionately generous though, even just given what we've seen stipends be on this forum thus far.

Michigan has like the second largest non-private university endowment in the nation. it's been a pretty big issue here in the state with budget woes as they are. A lot of people are talking about having Michigan go private since they suck up so much in state funding but have a massive endowment.

That does seem disproportionately generous though, even just given what we've seen stipends be on this forum thus far.

If I end up at Central Michigan, my stipend would be more like $13,000. :(

It's okay though. There aren't a lot of things I'm good at, but being poor is one of them.

Edited by kotov