2 hours ago, birista said:

Has anyone heard back from Notre Dame or Emory? I am getting a bit antsy! I reached out to Emory and they said my application is still active, have not reached out to Notre Dame yet. 

ND told me I was not included in their first round of offers and I will hear from them with a final decision by mid-April. 

7 minutes ago, bluemojav said:

Haven’t heard from UPenn, USC, UC Santa Barbara, Syracuse, or NEU… trying to be patient and optimistic, but assuming the WL for the MA program is my best bet…

I am also still waiting on USC and UCSB. I saw more acceptances and a waitlist go out for SB, so I'm not getting my hopes up... 

On 3/14/2024 at 1:31 PM, thea said:

ND told me I was not included in their first round of offers and I will hear from them with a final decision by mid-April. 

Thank you for a heads up! Who did you reach out to over there? I am confused if I should reach out to admissions or the department.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:42 PM, thea said:

I am also still waiting on USC and UCSB. I saw more acceptances and a waitlist go out for SB, so I'm not getting my hopes up... 

On 3/14/2024 at 6:33 PM, bluemojav said:

Haven’t heard from UPenn, USC, UC Santa Barbara, Syracuse, or NEU… trying to be patient and optimistic, but assuming the WL for the MA program is my best bet…

To the best of my knowledge, all UCSB decisions have been sent out--their website has a page with all the data for acceptances for their 2024 cycle. https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/ucsb-graduate-statistics 

Received an email from Northeastern saying that “while I wasn’t admitted into the PhD program, I was rated highly by faculty and could be offered a significant amount, if not complete, tuition assistance with an acceptance into the masters program.” I’m not sure if she’s bluffing with how much aid they can provide, because most of the Northeastern masters acceptances I’ve seen in the past have seemed to max out at 33% tuition assistance, but we’ll see. I’m still at the top of the waitlist at my undergrad institution for their funded MA program…feels bad to be in limbo, even if the email from Northeastern was still flattering albeit disappointing.

15 hours ago, bluemojav said:

Received an email from Northeastern saying that “while I wasn’t admitted into the PhD program, I was rated highly by faculty and could be offered a significant amount, if not complete, tuition assistance with an acceptance into the masters program.”

That is very encouraging from Northeastern! Not nearly as nice as a funded offer, of course. Did they give you a timeline for when they'd have more concrete information about funding?

Mid-Friday my time so late afternoon Friday Montreal time, the portal for Concordia updated to say my file has been reviewed and I will hear a decision soon. 🤞(fingers crossed) that means good news coming soon

Concordia emailed me yesterday (first the dept’s graduate coordinator, then the form letter). Rejected due to lack of funding/they were unable to fully fund me and stated they don’t accept applicants unless they can fund them.

Looks like my first season is ending (unless Illinois turns that waitlist to an acceptance like a doctoral program dark horse). Looking into adjunct community college jobs near me (I have an MFA and a master’s in Childhood Education and TESOL so could apply to adjunct positions in any of the three at a community college).

4 hours ago, gagne said:

Concordia emailed me yesterday (first the dept’s graduate coordinator, then the form letter). Rejected due to lack of funding/they were unable to fully fund me and stated they don’t accept applicants unless they can fund them.

Looks like my first season is ending (unless Illinois turns that waitlist to an acceptance like a doctoral program dark horse). Looking into adjunct community college jobs near me (I have an MFA and a master’s in Childhood Education and TESOL so could apply to adjunct positions in any of the three at a community college).

I'm so sorry about Concordia and the season overall. It sounds like you're extremely qualified and they're missing out on a fantastic candidate. Illinois better come through for you! There's still a chance!

I just received word that there's a spot for me at UMN 😶 and it's such a relief/shock. I have been very impressed with the school, and I enjoyed the visit day... I think I'm still waiting for final news from the other two schools I'm waitlisted at, but Minnesota might be the one for me. (Crazy. I almost didn't apply because of the weather!)

Hoping for good waitlist movement for all ❤️ 

1 hour ago, leguinian22 said:

I'm so sorry about Concordia and the season overall. It sounds like you're extremely qualified and they're missing out on a fantastic candidate. Illinois better come through for you! There's still a chance!

I just received word that there's a spot for me at UMN 😶 and it's such a relief/shock. I have been very impressed with the school, and I enjoyed the visit day... I think I'm still waiting for final news from the other two schools I'm waitlisted at, but Minnesota might be the one for me. (Crazy. I almost didn't apply because of the weather!)

Hoping for good waitlist movement for all ❤️ 

Congrats! I'm still in waitlist limbo, unfortunately, but hoping for the best! This program has historically notified students up until the 4/15 deadline, so it may be another couple of weeks. 

Rejected from Penn State yesterday. I'm a teeny bit salty because the email I got explaining the decision basically said they don't consider MA students who don't want to be admitted at the MA level AT ALL, where the department website gives the impression that they occasionally do. I guess I could have verified that with the DGS before I applied. Oh well. 

I haven't made the final decision yet but basically my plan is to accept ND early next week. Rutgers DGS got back to me and said there's no movement yet. 

2 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

where the department website gives the impression that they occasionally do

Ah, department websites. That's frustrating, sorry!

Indiana just informed me that they're pretty sure they won't have a spot for me, so I'm now just waiting on UNC...  🤞

Do folks tend to decline offers closer to 4/15 even if they have already accepted an offer early on? I'm wondering how close one should cut it re: waiting for waitlist movement. In previous years, some people heard from their waitlist school *on* the 15th, which sounds so nervewracking. 

13 hours ago, koipond said:

Do folks tend to decline offers closer to 4/15 even if they have already accepted an offer early on? I'm wondering how close one should cut it re: waiting for waitlist movement. In previous years, some people heard from their waitlist school *on* the 15th, which sounds so nervewracking. 

Pretty sure the etiquette is declining offers as soon as you’re decided and not waiting until the 15th precisely bc of the waitlist. Not sure how many ppl actually follow this though because you should be entitled to all that time for thinking about this major decision. I know I’m still stuck deciding between  programs. 

I accepted ND today. I feel confident in making this decision despite pending waitlists at some great schools. Ultimately, the day after I visited, I realized that I wanted to be admitted there more than I've wanted pretty much anything in a while (my decision to attend my MA program was comparatively quite cavalier), and was ecstatic to be accepted. Having had a chance to meet key people in the department was crucial, and proximity to family, low cost of living, and what seems to be a great professional development funding situation just made the deal sweeter. I've found my fit and I'm happy to be done with the process!

Thanks to all in the thread for being so supportive.

I was accepted off the waitlist for the funded MA at Virginia Tech and accepted :-). I’m kinda bummed I didn’t get into a doctoral program, but I think ultimately it’s what’s best for me right now and will be good experience (I also didn’t realize how uncommon it was to get into an English PhD program w/o the masters, but thinking back on it, it makes sense). Congrats to everyone else on their programs!!!

Edited by bluemojav

On 3/22/2024 at 8:06 AM, leguinian22 said:

That is very encouraging from Northeastern! Not nearly as nice as a funded offer, of course. Did they give you a timeline for when they'd have more concrete information about funding?

Also not really at the time! I submitted the MA app. and despite what she said, the tuition remission offered was only 33%, lol, so it DOES feel more like a bait-and-switch. 

1 hour ago, bluemojav said:

Also not really at the time! I submitted the MA app. and despite what she said, the tuition remission offered was only 33%, lol, so it DOES feel more like a bait-and-switch. 

yikes. 

But who needs 'em: Huzzah to being accepted for the funded MA!! You deserve at least that, and I'd bet you'll do wonderfully well in the program.