At this point I can assume quiet rejections from Penn, Princeton, and Vanderbilt (ouch, liked the fit), based on posted results. Still in the race for ND, and waitlisted for Illinois. That leaves 7 schools to go. Feel like we should be hearing from Maryland soon?

1 hour ago, ©har1ie said:

At this point I can assume quiet rejections from Penn, Princeton, and Vanderbilt (ouch, liked the fit), based on posted results. Still in the race for ND, and waitlisted for Illinois. That leaves 7 schools to go. Feel like we should be hearing from Maryland soon?

Also assuming a quiet rejection from Penn. As for Maryland, that’s the other one for me that I think is coming this week! That, and Northeastern interview invites seem to come out around this time. We’ll see….good luck!

Edited by bluemojav

I’m hopeful to hear good news from either Northwestern or UChicago next week. Not expecting news from anyone this week but still checking email, the results page, and this forum.

15 hours ago, gagne said:

Saw the Northeastern interview and was worried for a second. Wishing whoever that is, good luck with the interview!

Seconding that!

It looks like they usually come out over the course of a few days— my application status still says “awaiting review” so assuming they haven’t gotten to everyone yet. 

Did anyone else who applied to Northeastern get an email about an invite to a virtual open house? I don't think it is related to my application at all because it doesn't mention anything about my application or the English department, but it definitely got my heart pumping for a minute, especially given the recent interviews posted for there. A little annoying that they are sending out generic 'learn more about our program' emails when people are looking for any shred of information regarding their application...

4 minutes ago, picky-turtle7 said:

Did anyone else who applied to Northeastern get an email about an invite to a virtual open house? I don't think it is related to my application at all because it doesn't mention anything about my application or the English department, but it definitely got my heart pumping for a minute, especially given the recent interviews posted for there. A little annoying that they are sending out generic 'learn more about our program' emails when people are looking for any shred of information regarding their application...

Ugh, yeah I did too! It’s made me very anxious, lol.

4 hours ago, koipond said:

What kind of an interview was it, if you don’t mind sharing? Did you get an idea of whether they were interviewing all finalists? 

the email said that i was in the final round, but it didn’t say whether they were interviewing all finalists!

saw a UChicago interview on Results, who was invited on the 20th and interviewed on the 23rd

😔 might be a soft rejection from them

On 1/26/2024 at 3:51 AM, tea_life said:

Did anybody get an email with the specific timeline and schedules for notre dame interview& recruitment day?

I did. Looks like it will work out for me to attend in-person.

ND is really the only thing I have going for me at this point besides the Illinois waitlist. I am pretty disappointed to see the Maryland interviews and acceptances going out; out of all the schools I applied to, it was the program I was most confident about fit-wise. I'd met and talked with faculty a few times, there were good connections between them and my MA program, and it just seemed the most likely spot for me. Oh well. Still ~5 programs left. Up to me to nail the ND interview.

1 hour ago, ©har1ie said:

I did. Looks like it will work out for me to attend in-person.

ND is really the only thing I have going for me at this point besides the Illinois waitlist. I am pretty disappointed to see the Maryland interviews and acceptances going out; out of all the schools I applied to, it was the program I was most confident about fit-wise. I'd met and talked with faculty a few times, there were good connections between them and my MA program, and it just seemed the most likely spot for me. Oh well. Still ~5 programs left. Up to me to nail the ND interview.

I feel that! Also kinda bummed ab Maryland/Northeastern (even tho app status says they haven’t been reviewed…idk). Silent rejections almost hurt worse, they feel like a huge blow to your confidence even though it’s technically not a rejection.  Good luck on your interview! 

Agreed! I keep my phone on Do Not Disturb due to working two jobs and being in grad school, so nervous about those phone calls and what this means for this week.

hi friends, does no interview mean we got rejected? 

still seeing “submitted” for UPenn and Princeton—as many of you have said, that’s a silent rejection. no interview. suuuuper bummed… also seeing “submitted” for literally all the other schools i applied to so figured i’d ask! would help to know for sure if i just washed all that money down the drain—i can get to coping earlier rather than later hahaah

5 hours ago, Gogo Ishii said:

hi friends, does no interview mean we got rejected? 

still seeing “submitted” for UPenn and Princeton—as many of you have said, that’s a silent rejection. no interview. suuuuper bummed… also seeing “submitted” for literally all the other schools i applied to so figured i’d ask! would help to know for sure if i just washed all that money down the drain—i can get to coping earlier rather than later hahaah

There's no way to tell with our program, unfortunately. I've known people who've gotten admits without interviewing at schools that did conduct some interviews, so it's entirely possible that they do interviews on a case by case basis and not for all finalists. But it's also possible that some schools interview all finalists to get an idea of their personalities and vet their final choices, etc. 

I think if the interview is heavily focused on clarifying one's project, research ideas, writing sample etc--it's more likely that it's to decide between a few applicants with similar research. But if it's more of a casual chat, then maybe they're interviewing all finalists?