25 minutes ago, thea said:

Happy to see some decisions starting to go out. I recently received my first decision and it's a waitlist at Rice, which is one of my top choices. Not a bad way to start off the season, I think 🙂

Not bad at all! Congrats!

4 hours ago, gagne said:

I applied only to PhD Literature and there was no mention of MA-PhD in the waitlist email, just the PhD timeline.

Thanks. I applied to MA-PhD and have not received any emails yet. I guess PhDs admissions got out sooner

3 hours ago, thea said:

Happy to see some decisions starting to go out. I recently received my first decision and it's a waitlist at Rice, which is one of my top choices. Not a bad way to start off the season, I think 🙂

Congrats!! Very exciting.  

8 hours ago, wpefwldjsdj said:

Thanks. I applied to MA-PhD and have not received any emails yet. I guess PhDs admissions got out sooner

I know when they state that most PhD candidates have their MAs from UIUC, I think this program is a big part of it and may be something that they deliberate a little longer knowing it's a longer commitment between the institution and you and may also be factored by the number of PhD candidates they have. I considered the MA-PhD program but I already have two master's degrees and feel ready to pursue doctoral work.

10 hours ago, sheherazade11 said:

Just saw someone posted an interview for Pennsylvania. This is my top choice, and I didn't get an interview invite, so... 🥲

the implied rejections are going to be miserable :( so sorry!

10 hours ago, sheherazade11 said:

Just saw someone posted an interview for Pennsylvania. This is my top choice, and I didn't get an interview invite, so... 🥲

Same boat. I didn’t think it was the BEST fit for me and knew it was a reach but it still feels bad…it’s hard not to take the least charitable interpretation of that to heart…This is the one reason I always tell myself I won’t check gradcafe. 

4 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

Same here with Penn. Maybe they just had a power outage right as they were sending my interview request.

Lol, I’m gonna go with the same story. Or maybe the computer fell off the desk and got smashed to bits…

the interview posts always gut me, but I'm so nosy and check anyways >n< (also checked last year's results again for my schools and 2-3 are likely gonna release January 30th-February 1st, RIP)

3 hours ago, koipond said:

Has anyone heard anything from UChicago? In previous years they seem to have sent out interview invites around this time

All I noticed was admissions results around end of January. Haven’t heard anything yet.

54 minutes ago, bluemojav said:

Out at Wisconsin-Madison. Can’t say that one didn’t sting 😕

Aw no, I’m sorry ☹️ hoping for better news going forward!! also I checked your profile and squealed because my work also focuses on queer theory and new media! where else have you applied and/or heard from? 

20 minutes ago, koipond said:

Aw no, I’m sorry ☹️ hoping for better news going forward!! also I checked your profile and squealed because my work also focuses on queer theory and new media! where else have you applied and/or heard from? 

That’s awesome— I feel like I never meet anybody else in our area of focus! But yes, me too (for all of us!), and I’m crossing my fingers.

I applied to UWM, UPenn (no interview, so maybe a quiet rejection?), Columbia, USC, Syracuse, Northeastern, Boston U, UCI, UCSB, and UCo Boulder for doctoral programs. UWM is the only program I’ve heard back from so far.

The two acceptances I have are for masters programs that were my designated back-ups (which I’m suddenly much more grateful for, even if I’m just being cynical after only one rejection).

How has this cycle been to you so far? Where did you apply?

Edited by bluemojav

1 hour ago, bluemojav said:

Out at Wisconsin-Madison. Can’t say that one didn’t sting 😕

Hey, I am so sorry to hear that! What concentration did you apply for in the department? I am still waiting to hear back regarding my application.

3 minutes ago, PhdStessedApp said:

Hey, I am so sorry to hear that! What concentration did you apply for in the department? I am still waiting to hear back regarding my application.

Hey! I don’t remember exactly what I indicated on the application, but more generally it’s media studies/queer theory/critical theory. I saw some rejections and an acceptance come out, so maybe they’re still in the process of reviewing, or maybe it’s a waitlist? Either way, hoping you have better luck than I did!