On 12/27/2023 at 3:10 AM, seizing said:

Heck yea! I applied for Performance Studies since Dr Jackson is in that department as well. How'd your application go?

I think it went well! Hard to know. A couple of years ago, I applied to a few Performance Studies programs (Columbia, Northwestern, Brown, Tufts, UChicago). Didn't work out for me then, for good reason. I think English/Rhetoric is more conducive to my work. In any case, I am familiar with Dr Jackson's work! Hoping this season goes well for you :)

On 12/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, gagne said:

For English Lit do you mean English Literature PhD programs? If so, yeah! I applied to 7, got everything done before winter break.

Nice! I'm also applying to Illinois and Northwestern. I'm guessing you are focusing on "media aesthetics" since you are applying to Chicago.

2 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

Nice! I'm also applying to Illinois and Northwestern. I'm guessing you are focusing on "media aesthetics" since you are applying to Chicago.

Yes! I'm focusing on the intersection(s) of archive theory/memory studies, poetics and literature, and queer theory/studies. Most of my current research has been on the queer art of forgetting/death drive of a 1960s literary newsletter, The Floating Bear, and poetics of ephemera as a practice of archival futurity. I haven't delved a lot into queer studies in my research because it's hyper-local and there aren't a lot of non-male queer voices (I lean toward sapphic and lesbian collections/studies).

3 hours ago, leguinian22 said:

I think the wait is going to destroy me more than the application prep/submissions did! What are y'all's coping methods for the suspense? 

I teach in HS now so I am not going to have time to worry after this weekend ...

On 1/2/2024 at 8:06 PM, sheherazade11 said:

I taught HS for several years. I miss it so much. 

I’ll miss the kids (and I’m still going to try to leave the door open to come back if the PhD thing doesn’t happen), but I don’t think I’ll miss everything about teaching at this level.

Hey everyone! A little late to this forum-- where has everyone applied to /  where do you feel confident about getting in?

I've applied to U Conn, U New Hampshire, U Washington, U Delaware, and U Colorado Boulder. No results yet, but fingers crossed!

Is anyone else nervous about UIUC (University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign) coming out likely next Wednesday? Last year was January 11th, 2nd Wednesday of January.

3 hours ago, ToniMorrisonFanGirl said:

Hey everyone! A little late to this forum-- where has everyone applied to /  where do you feel confident about getting in?

I've applied to U Conn, U New Hampshire, U Washington, U Delaware, and U Colorado Boulder. No results yet, but fingers crossed!

I feel entirely unconfident about everything. I should have been working on my apps more over the summer: I ended up rushing revisions and submitting on the deadlines for most of them. 

For schools I applied to, I've copied the format of putting them in my signature, and I'll update with colors once decisions start rolling in. I wish now that I would have applied to more.

20 minutes ago, leguinian22 said:

I feel entirely unconfident about everything. I should have been working on my apps more over the summer: I ended up rushing revisions and submitting on the deadlines for most of them. 

Haha, i did the same thing. It is what it is.

4 hours ago, gagne said:

Is anyone else nervous about UIUC (University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign) coming out likely next Wednesday? Last year was January 11th, 2nd Wednesday of January.

A little. The website says “Most of our Ph.D. students have received their M.A.'s at Illinois” so if i don’t get accepted i will just choose to believe that it’s because I have an MA from another institution and not because my application is weak 😇

8 hours ago, leguinian22 said:

For schools I applied to, I've copied the format of putting them in my signature, and I'll update with colors once decisions start rolling in. I wish now that I would have applied to more.

I agree! Though I also feel like I needed the time and being with folks to work on them as I 1) had a three week intensive with my current program all of June and 2) spent July moving and August settling in with my new place so not as worried and felt like I narrowed and clarified my focus during the semester with frequent feedback from professors (I wouldn't have known where to even start as a first-generation student)

8 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

A little. The website says “Most of our Ph.D. students have received their M.A.'s at Illinois” so if i don’t get accepted i will just choose to believe that it’s because I have an MA from another institution and not because my application is weak 😇

ha! I saw that too when I submitted my application and whispered, "I'll be an exception" but perhaps it is what it is, would be weird for the school to exclusively select MA students from their programs, so I still have faith in us

On 1/2/2024 at 1:09 PM, leguinian22 said:

I think the wait is going to destroy me more than the application prep/submissions did! What are y'all's coping methods for the suspense? 

Obsessively checking my email and this website, mostly. If it wasn't so busy at my job I think I'd be going crazy. I also applied to A LOT of schools because I'm desperate to get out of said job, lol. At the very least, it doesn't look like ANYONE has posted any English doctoral program updates, so we'll see in the coming weeks....

@bluemojav do you have an acceptance and an interview already??

& good luck to those awaiting UIUC news! I don't expect to hear back from any of my programs until the first week of February. (To pass the time, I made a spreadsheet of all the relevant results page posts since 2019 and color-coded a calendar to display the dates on which I'm most likely to get news...)

2 hours ago, leguinian22 said:

@bluemojav do you have an acceptance and an interview already??

& good luck to those awaiting UIUC news! I don't expect to hear back from any of my programs until the first week of February. (To pass the time, I made a spreadsheet of all the relevant results page posts since 2019 and color-coded a calendar to display the dates on which I'm most likely to get news...)

My acceptance is for a masters program, not a doctoral one! 

I’m also not expecting news for at least another week or two, but that doesn’t stop me from checking here. I love the spreadsheet idea, though…

3 hours ago, leguinian22 said:

& good luck to those awaiting UIUC news! I don't expect to hear back from any of my programs until the first week of February

Yep! UIUC last year released on the 11th (2nd Wednesday of January) and seem to notify in early to mid January so that’s why I’m keeping my eyes peeled. Everyone else is first two weeks of February, including when I’m out of town for a conference for five days 🫠

Got some good news today: I’m a finalist at Notre Dame and invited to their recruitment event in Feb. Feels good to get some positive movement so early! 

I’m not sure how I will handle things if I get invited to multiple in-person interviews/events though. Personal days don’t really grow on trees at a public HS…

1 hour ago, ©har1ie said:

Got some good news today: I’m a finalist at Notre Dame and invited to their recruitment event in Feb. Feels good to get some positive movement so early! 

I’m not sure how I will handle things if I get invited to multiple in-person interviews/events though. Personal days don’t really grow on trees at a public HS…

huzzah, congratulations!! It’s fun to watch movement finally happening on the results board. 

And it would be nice to have that problem, I bet, but it would certainly still be a problem. I only have three personal days left this year.

7 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

Congrats!! I was just checking here after seeing the notifications from Emory and Notre Dame and am happy to see someone here got through. 

I also DID end up making a spreadsheet…it seems like the earliest I could hear back would be next week. Of course, it doesn’t stop me from logging on here.

Edited by bluemojav

18 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

Congratulations!! One of my cohort from my MA is in that program. You've got this!!!