1 hour ago, guavaloslos said:

Hello y'all, new here. but I have been lurking. Finally made an account. Freaked out bc UCLA engl dept. asked me to resend transcripts before decisions were released. In their email, they said decisions will be released on or by Feb 15. So... get ready I guess if any1 else applied. 

This happened to me also. I know that the graduate admissions committee was meeting today. Hoping it at least means making the waitlist? 

I also got that 3:00am rejection notification from UMD. As mentioned I’m a little bitter about that one, was most confident about the fit there out of all my applications. It just goes to show how competitive things really are.

For me, I am pretty much planning to be one and done when it comes to the PHD applications. If I don’t get in this year, I’ll just move on. I’ll either commit to secondary education or try to do something else in higher Ed, like work in admissions.

With that being said, I’m trying to stay confident. My app was strong enough to get positive attention from two good programs, and I now know which professors I’ll be interviewing with at ND. I feel like I’m a strong interviewer and I have some time to prepare for each one. It feels good to have something to DO, some way to influence my results.

9 hours ago, ©har1ie said:

I am pretty much planning to be one and done when it comes to the PHD applications.

I tend to feel the same, but I go back and forth on the idea because I am determined to leave secondary education. I might not mind going back to an office job though, and I keep telling myself that not getting in will probably be much better for my mental and fiscal health in the long run. As for my spirit, otoh…

Anyways, wishing you the best of luck for your ND interview, though it sounds like you won’t even need it!  

been getting the waiting on admissions decisions antsiness and saw that my two Montreal schools hardly have any results posts here, especially Concordia! Made me wonder either how selective they are or if nobody applies there who uses this site.

I do wonder about that: Is there a strong correlation between the number of posts about a program on the results page and the number of applicants? The size of the program? And/or are applicants who post on Grad Cafe more likely to apply to certain programs?? If data existed, I would love to crunch it.

Well, GradCafe does ask if you're American or International so maybe it's mostly for folks applying to programs in the US while also knowing programs outside the US have slightly (or greatly) different systems of admissions and applications.

I do wonder about size correlation though as I don't imagine a lot of Americans seek PhDs in other countries, or at least, only a minority applies to these programs.

A USC acceptance?! ;o Was that any of you? I saw they listed it as English Lit and Creative Writing, which is (I think) a different program than the normal English one, but now I’m deeply curious about their topic either way…

Edited by bluemojav

1 hour ago, bluemojav said:

A USC acceptance?! ;o Was that any of you? I saw they listed it as English Lit and Creative Writing, which is (I think) a different program than the normal English one, but now I’m deeply curious about their topic either way…

I saw that too. They do have a Literature and Creative Writing program that is separate from their English program. 

12 hours ago, quackquackgo said:

Anyone hear from uc davis?

I saw that rejection and now I'm getting anxious. I haven't heard back, but I'm anticipating we will pretty soon!

Still no updates from Brown...feeling less optimistic.

For Concordia though, I'm curious if it's typical to get Open House invites? It seems like a general DGS Open House, albeit in-person and on the 17th, so I cannot go (even looked into flights and too tight a turn around). Maybe this is somehow a good omen for Concordia and Montreal.

I tried commenting on the UGA CW Track result but it wouldn't work. If you're here, would you mind sharing which CW track it was? I'm waiting to hear back for poetry but I know sometimes they send different tracks at different times. 

3 hours ago, quinny13 said:

I tried commenting on the UGA CW Track result but it wouldn't work. If you're here, would you mind sharing which CW track it was? I'm waiting to hear back for poetry but I know sometimes they send different tracks at different times. 

Fiction!