Official HKS Thread

Hi greendiplomat,

Congratulations to your offers! Seems you also have an offer from Princeton with full tuition + stipend, will you choose to attend this one and drop HKS if there is no funding from HKS? Just curious since Princeton WWS is also a very good program. :)

Hi greendiplomat,

Congratulations to your offers! Seems you also have an offer from Princeton with full tuition + stipend, will you choose to attend this one and drop HKS if there is no funding from HKS? Just curious since Princeton WWS is also a very good program. :)

Still deciding, to be honest. Will probably have more clarity once I visit on Monday, and have funding info. Basically it boils down to funding at Princeton versus presence of the top professors in my field at HKS.

Still deciding, to be honest. Will probably have more clarity once I visit on Monday, and have funding info. Basically it boils down to funding at Princeton versus presence of the top professors in my field at HKS.

I am facing the same situation with you- Harvard has a louder name but Stanford provides generous funding. It is a pity that I won't be able to attend the New Admit Day next Monday, please come back and share some of your observations there. Thanks!!

"The Accept Awards tab provides a list of the financial aid for which you are eligible. Awards can be accepted or declined on the Accept Awards tab. If you do not have access to the Accept Awards tab, we were unable to offer you financial assistance."

Didn't have the tab on myfaid. Hello SAIS!

I'm sitting on a big 0 as well here.

Thoughts on this dilemma:

Cornell CIPA with $30,000/year

Fletcher with $14,000/year

Yale Jackson with $20,000/year

Harvard with $00,000/year

I was also wondering if it'd be worth trying to leverage the above offers with Kennedy. I expect they'll tell me to go to hell, but have any of you seen a successful extortion of HKS in the past?

I'm sitting on a big 0 as well here.

Thoughts on this dilemma:

Cornell CIPA with $30,000/year

Fletcher with $14,000/year

Yale Jackson with $20,000/year

Harvard with $00,000/year

I was also wondering if it'd be worth trying to leverage the above offers with Kennedy. I expect they'll tell me to go to hell, but have any of you seen a successful extortion of HKS in the past?

They have a paragraph on "requests for reconsideration" on the "messages" tab. Unfortunately, the gist of it is "oh hell no!".

I just received word as well. All I was offered was a bunch of loans, which is surprising and disappointing.

Just a bit of info on attempting to negotiate/extract more money: I sent them a lengthy email yesterday noting that I wanted to pursue a career in a developing country government (in other words that I will make little money after school) and that I have the following offers:

• Tufts Fletcher School - 27K
  • Columbia SIPA - 25K
  • LSE - British government Chevening Scholarship (covers tuition, cost of living, visa, airfare, you name it and they cover it)

I followed up over the phone to make sure they received it and informed that they do not consider what other schools offer when making their financial aid decisions. Basically echoes what Greendiplomat mentioned and what they say numerous times on their site - no way. I might still give it a shot and will let others know if I find out anything substantive.

Hard to believe that someone gets a full ride at Princeton and not a thing from HKS. Guess what they say about it being a crapshoot is spot on.

Seriously, did they give any money at all...

Do you guys think there are more chances to get anything in the second year?

From the messages tab: "It is extremely unlikely that new, additional or increased HKS/Harvard scholarship or fellowship funds will become available to students for the second year of study as all funds are awarded for the 1st year and simply renewed for the 2nd year (unless otherwise noted)"

The financial predicament many of you are facing is exactly why I didn't apply to HKS, despite really liking some of the faculty and courses. They are pretty open about stiffing people on fin-aid, which rules them out for me as my career is not that lucrative. I'm bored at work and made this to sum it up.

Edited by MYRNIST

Half tuition and a bunch of federal loans but I think I am going to take the dive anyway because of IBR. Didn't plan on getting rich in public service anyway so whats a few hundred dollars more per month in loan payments :D

I just talked to a HKS alum this weekend and really tried to put the spin on me to take the debt plunge. I have full tuition from Ford and nothing for HKS. I can use an Americorps grant, but that's a drop in the bucket. There's part of my gut that says the experience everyone I know talks about is something I would regret passing up for the rest of my life. It's just a gut feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else is grappling with the tough choice as well....

I just talked to a HKS alum this weekend and really tried to put the spin on me to take the debt plunge. I have full tuition from Ford and nothing for HKS. I can use an Americorps grant, but that's a drop in the bucket. There's part of my gut that says the experience everyone I know talks about is something I would regret passing up for the rest of my life. It's just a gut feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else is grappling with the tough choice as well....

This is really a tough decision to make...I got full ride from Stanford and nothing from HKS, but still it is difficult for me to drop HKS. I wonder what the alum you talked to had said which makes you seriously think about attending HKS even without funding...I need this kind of advice as well. Thanks!

Two points:

1. What you want to study would make a big difference. I want to do Intl Development, but didn't apply for MPA-ID due to a lack of math. The reviews of MPP people going into Intl Dev are largely underwhelming. But for domestic policy and government, my sense is that HKS is definitely worth paying extra for. BUT...

2. I would advice all to think at the margin. It's one thing to ask yourself "Would I pay $150k for HKS?" But the better question is "Would I pay an additional $50k to attend Harvard over SAIS?" I'm giving SAIS as an example here because that's looking like it'll be my choice, and the numbers reflect the relative financial aid situations (SAIS offered me money and it costs a bit less, summing a lesser cost of $25k/year). For me, the answer to this question was a pretty emphatic NO, because the SAIS programme already looked better.