Official HKS Thread

I did not know they simplified their application this year.  That could certainly affect things.  The deadline was a few days later last year, but only 4 or 5 I believe.  

The main benefit I see with expecting the 13th or so is that I'm not worrying about it and if it pops up into my inbox early, then it's a nice surprise whichever decision I get.  haha.

Harvard had the earliest deadline and the simplest application out of all the programs I applied to. I would say that SIPA's was the most complicated, especially with that "educational resume". That's a pain when most of your classes were special topics and you graduated 4 years ago.

Edited by Kadisha

Kadisha, may I ask which programs you've applied to? And which programs replied to you already?

Sure.

Have heard from none yet, but they all say they will reply around Mid-March.

HKS MPP, SIPA MIA, GU MSFS, GWU MAIA, SIPA MIA

That was a lot of acronyms.

Sure.

You're getting good with the acronyms, hehe. Just posted an update on HKS decisions (week of 15th).

You're getting good with the acronyms, hehe. Just posted an update on HKS decisions (week of 15th).

I still messed up though lol. I put two SIPAs in there. The 5th is suppose to be SAIS MAIA.

Same as everybody else. I don't even understand why they made us apply a whole month earlier than everybody else if they're going to take as long. Either way I'm hoping to hear back from GW next Friday if we're to go by past trends. 

Edited by Kadisha

A friend of mine who also applied to HKS told me.

Well, I don't see any updates on the blog/website/Sparks, nor any e-mails about it. 

Sure.

Kadisha, I thought MSFS decisions have been given already some time back. I saw a couple in the results page.

Is anyone thrilled by the fact that the scholarship applications are done? I was proofreading my scholarship applications for HKS one hour before the deadline. The previous week,  I did the SIPA scholarship application. I am so relieved that's done. I still have one more external scholarship application but that, thankfully, allows me to cut and paste my admissions essay

Is anyone thrilled by the fact that the scholarship applications are done? I was proofreading my scholarship applications for HKS one hour before the deadline. The previous week,  I did the SIPA scholarship application. I am so relieved that's done. I still have one more external scholarship application but that, thankfully, allows me to cut and paste my admissions essay

Yes me too, am glad it's done. But not to be the spoiler here, we only get considered for them if we get admitted. Just don't wanna end up having done all this work and then not get in.

Yes me too, am glad it's done. But not to be the spoiler here, we only get considered for them if we get admitted. Just don't wanna end up having done all this work and then not get in.

So what programs have you been admitted into so far?

Kadisha, I thought MSFS decisions have been given already some time back. I saw a couple in the results page.

Are you an international applicant?

I know the SFS GHD decisions are out, but as far as I know the Masters of Science in Foreign Service decisions aren't out yet. If I'm mistaken then I guess I'm not in the first batch of emails, because I just logged into applyourself and there's nothing new on there. 

Are you an international applicant?

I know the SFS GHD decisions are out, but as far as I know the Masters of Science in Foreign Service decisions aren't out yet. If I'm mistaken then I guess I'm not in the first batch of emails, because I just logged into applyourself and there's nothing new on there. 

Yes, I'm an international applicant.

I didn't apply to the MSFS, so you will know better. I defer to you.

So what programs have you been admitted into so far?

I applied to 5 policy schools: HKS, SIPA, Fletcher, Georgetown, and SAIS. All East Coast, sorry, hehe.

I was also considering MBA programs, but then did not go through with it (maybe later for Executive MBA).

I ended up withdrawing all my apps except for HKS. I realized (I admit a bit late) that as a mid-career the only school I would be prepared to resign and leave my (good and safe) job for is actually HKS.

I know it's a risk but at my age and career stage can't afford to make an ambigious choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to 5 policy schools: HKS, SIPA, Fletcher, Georgetown, and SAIS. All East Coast, sorry, hehe.

I was also considering MBA programs, but then did not go through with it (maybe later for Executive MBA).

I ended up withdrawing all my apps except for HKS. I realized (I admit a bit late) that as a mid-career the only school I would be prepared to resign and leave my (good and safe) job for is actually HKS.

I know it's a risk but at my age and career stage can't afford to make an ambigious choice.

Nothing wrong with withdrawing from schools if you KNOW you aren't going to really go there. I think you made a wise decision and gave yourself some good karma. Leaves room at those schools for someone who really wants to go there. My MC/MPA clients have already heard back (admitted!). I hope that you got great news as well (but if not, like you said, you have a great job, so it sounds like you win either way).

I still messed up though lol. I put two SIPAs in there. The 5th is suppose to be SAIS MAIA.

Same as everybody else. I don't even understand why they made us apply a whole month earlier than everybody else if they're going to take as long. Either way I'm hoping to hear back from GW next Friday if we're to go by past trends. 

You make a good point about the frustration of turning in your application fairly early only to hear back around the same time. My guess is that HKS gets inundated with more applications than many of the other schools (I may be wrong about that) AND that they are trying to sync up their timing well with HBS because of the relatively new HBS-HKS integrated joint degree (perhaps they know who they are going to admit a bit earlier than applicants are notified). That's just a random guess though. Maybe it's just to be fancy and complicated! :)

Hi Decaf, Kadisha, and all.  I'm brand new on this forum (just learned about it).  I chair the HKS admissions committees for MPA and MCMPA (including the various Fellows programs, such as Masons and Wexners).  

We take longer to read files than most places, and I think it's because we read each one very carefully, very thoroughly.  We don't use test scores as the be-all-and-end-all for admissions.  Many grad programs have a bar for test scores - below which files simply won't be read.  We read every -- every -- file. Test scores matter, though not as much as one might expect.  Essays and "fit to program" are exceptionally important.

I know that some of you are waiting for financial aid decisions.  We're almost... almost done.

Hi Decaf, Kadisha, and all.  I'm brand new on this forum (just learned about it).  I chair the HKS admissions committees for MPA and MCMPA (including the various Fellows programs, such as Masons and Wexners).  

We take longer to read files than most places, and I think it's because we read each one very carefully, very thoroughly.  We don't use test scores as the be-all-and-end-all for admissions.  Many grad programs have a bar for test scores - below which files simply won't be read.  We read every -- every -- file. Test scores matter, though not as much as one might expect.  Essays and "fit to program" are exceptionally important.

I know that some of you are waiting for financial aid decisions.  We're almost... almost done.

Thanks for your input on the admissions process. Eagerly awaiting the financial aid decisions next week for the MPP program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,

What a wealth of information on this forum concerning hks !! I'm piecing together my application materials, one by one, and hopefully it will be perfect when the review committee receives it!

Also, can anyone shed any light on the resources for financial aid. I don't want to take out any loans and was hoping for a stellar financial aid packet that covered all tuitions, and fees.

God Bless!!!

Hi everyone! For those of you who are done with the MPP/MPA application process and are just hanging around to answer folks' questions, congrats to you! Get ready for a wild ride. For those of you who are just getting started with the application process, I wanted to introduce myself and let you know about a course I created that I think you'll find helpful.

I'm a 2010 graduate of Harvard Business School and Harvard Kennedy School. While I was in grad school, I realized I really wanted to work for myself as both a writer and teacher. I wrote a business plan for that, received some funding upon graduation, and was off on my adventure!

For the past three years, I've worked full-time as an independent admissions consultant. I've worked 1-on-1 with dozens of clients from around the world on their applications to MPA, MPP, and MBA programs. My first batch of clients have now graduated and are out in the world doing great work and pursuing their dreams.

I've created a course that combines the best advice from my work with applicants to HKS. It has a cheeky title, "Hacking Harvard Kennedy School," but there's nothing cheeky or sneaky about it. My results with working with HKS applicants are stellar, and several of my clients have received full fellowships from the school. (I myself was a fellow but not on a full ride). You can learn more about me at http://kaneisha.com and specifically about the Hacking Harvard Kennedy School course here. The first 60+ minutes of the course are free and packed with useful information so even if you aren't interested in buying the course, there is still much to be learned in the free portion!

I wish you all the best of luck in pursuing admission to HKS and other dream schools.

Warm regards,

Kaneisha