Very Very Stupid Question

MoJingly

Hahaha! So glad I'm not the only one who had to figure out what POI, LOR, and SOP meant on their own. (+1 to MojJingly!)

I think I'm going to start making-up my own ridiculously misleading acronyms so everyone else is confused as we are. For example, anyone's top school can be S.T.I.L.L.T.A.N. (School That I'd Literally Love To Attend Now)

Anyone have any others?

Edited by Ignatius_J_Reilly

Anyone have any others?

ELCRA --- "early life crisis regarding admissions"

YMUSAA --- "yes, my undergrad school actually exists"

WITDIS --- "what if they discover I'm stupid"

SESAMS --- "school eating slowly at my soul"

SCRELPA --- "school causing regular epileptic-like panic attacks"

GLIGTI --- "good lord, I'm going to implode"

WTFWDIETTWAGI --- "what the %$#^ why did I ever think this was a good idea"

Edited by MoJingly

Hahaha! So glad I'm not the only one who had to figure out what POI, LOR, and SOP meant on their own. (+1 to MojJingly!)

I think I'm going to start making-up my own ridiculously misleading acronyms so everyone else is confused as we are. For example, anyone's top school can be S.T.I.L.L.T.A.N. (School That I'd Literally Love To Attend Now)

Anyone have any others?

Not an acronym, but personal short-hand:

Snowball school: school I don't have a snowball's chance in He** of getting admitted to (but applied to anyway)

Not an acronym, but personal short-hand:

Snowball school: school I don't have a snowball's chance in He** of getting admitted to (but applied to anyway)

Snowball application: application that kept getting worse and worse and worse until it was finally so big that it rolled me over.

• 1 month later...

We really need a glossary of commonly used terms and acronyms on here. POI = Professor (or Person) of Interest. See this thread:

PS. You're not stupid smile.gif

Edited by newms

I'm sorry I'm not versed in grad talk, but I've been curious about this acronym for months now and I figured I'd take the risk of looking stupid.

So, what does POI mean?

A lot of people on this forum do not know what it is, but only a few dare to ask ;)

It means "person of interest".

And yes, we certainly need a glossary :D

There are still some less important acronyms on this forum whose meaning I still do not know...

• 9 months later...

ELCRA --- "early life crisis regarding admissions"

YMUSAA --- "yes, my undergrad school actually exists"

WITDIS --- "what if they discover I'm stupid"

SESAMS --- "school eating slowly at my soul"

SCRELPA --- "school causing regular epileptic-like panic attacks"

GLIGTI --- "good lord, I'm going to implode"

WTFWDIETTWAGI --- "what the %$#^ why did I ever think this was a good idea"

PhD - Permanent Head Damage

• 5 weeks later...

i was reading through the forum, and i just googled 'what does poi stand for graduate school' and it sent me back to the forum and i found this thread! thanks!

leave it to grad students to act like they know what everyone is talking about so as not to look stupid :D

thanks to the creator of this thread for taking a bullet for us lesser mortals!

Thanks for starting this thread! I had the exact same question... I just wasn't brave enough to ask it (even though this is an anonymous online forum... I think someone did some research *ahem* that found that a person's online persona is actually closer to the truth than his or her real life persona, so we can be just as affected by online interactions as we can by real life ones).

• 3 weeks later...

LOL this language is starting to creep into my non-online life.. ie. I was talking to my bf who is applying and I started using "POI" and "LOR" he gave me the oddest look... he thinks I spend wayyyyy too much time on gradcafe.

• 3 weeks later...