MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

2 hours ago, tmce94 said:

Also got waitlisted for UofT. 

For those of you who have got in, can you please share your stats for some insight? :) 

I have a low B average but roughly 13,000 hours of full time work experience. My references were very strong.

12 hours ago, tmce94 said:

Also got waitlisted for UofT. 

For those of you who have got in, can you please share your stats for some insight? :) 

Hello! I got accepted into the gerontology stream, which was my second choice. For my last two years of university, I have a 4.3/4.3 GPA and a cGPA of 4.2/4.3 — but U of T only looks at your last year. I have minimal experience, as I just graduated last year. I volunteered during university, was a part of a couple of clubs, and am currently working at a non-profit (so nothing very substantial). My references probably were not the strongest. I put a lot of effort into my personal statement and made it quite personal and unique, or at least I tried to. 

10 hours ago, sf291991 said:

I have a low B average but roughly 13,000 hours of full time work experience. My references were very strong.

My experiences were similar. I just made the GPA to be admitted but hours and references were strong. I think they place a lot of value on your personal statement too. I was admitted to Dalhousie with a very low GPA a couple of years ago but after talking to faculty once I was there, they mentioned my personal statement is what got me in so perhaps it's similar across SW programs?

Edited by paulinababy

Admission update for me:

UofT - part-time - ACCEPTED

Dalhousie - part time - ACCEPTED

U of Waterloo - No decision made yet

On 2/16/2024 at 2:54 AM, ctran said:

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I came across this forum and was able to get some peer support just by reading the posts here! And congrats to everyone who's already received offers from schools, that's such exciting news!!

Has anyone heard back from Waterloo's full-time program yet? And if so, where on Quest can you see your status? For some reason, my Quest just shows me my documents and that they've been submitted, but that's all. Curious to know what other people are seeing on their Quest!

I've also applied to both UBCV and UBCO advanced programs - I haven't seen many posts for UBC, has anyone else here applied, or heard back from them?

Such nerve-wracking but exciting times, good luck to everyone :)

I have also applied to both UBCV and UBCO and have heard nothing yet. 

Carletons Website states "...We typically receive 160-180 applications for the two year MSW program, and approximately 80 for the one year MSW..." That's about  14 percent(?) chance for the non-BSW applicants.

If it makes you feel better, Carleton also rejected me. I have 30,000 human service hours, 3.4 out of 4.0 GPA for my current master's degree in another field. 3.53 out of 4.0 for my undergrad degree. Also received diversity points for 3 categories. It sucks, but I'm not giving up.

Best of luck to you. I'm holding out for Manitoba. If that falls through, I'm just taking a program in the USA then transferring it to Canada. Something to consider.   

Edited by Pizzapunx
Whoops forgot to quote your post above

13 hours ago, Pizzapunx said:

Carletons Website states "...We typically receive 160-180 applications for the two year MSW program, and approximately 80 for the one year MSW..." That's about  14 percent(?) chance for the non-BSW applicants.

If it makes you feel better, Carleton also rejected me. I have 30,000 human service hours, 3.4 out of 4.0 GPA for my current master's degree in another field. 3.53 out of 4.0 for my undergrad degree. Also received diversity points for 3 categories. It sucks, but I'm not giving up.

Best of luck to you. I'm holding out for Manitoba. If that falls through, I'm just taking a program in the USA then transferring it to Canada. Something to consider.   

Oooof, a program in the states?? Wouldn't that cost a lot more than a program here? 😩

2 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

Oooof, a program in the states?? Wouldn't that cost a lot more than a program here? 😩

Yes haha. But 70-80 percent acceptance rate. CASWE-ACFTS and CSWE have reciprocity. Not my first choice, but it's a choice! 

2 minutes ago, Pizzapunx said:

Yes haha. But 70-80 percent acceptance rate. CASWE-ACFTS and CSWE have reciprocity. Not my first choice, but it's a choice! 

I admittedly considered this as well because I have family in the states until I remembered student loans probably wouldn't even cover half of the tuition/fees 😂 I hope you get into uManitoba so you don't have to go with this option!

8 minutes ago, jmcinn97 said:

I admittedly considered this as well because I have family in the states until I remembered student loans probably wouldn't even cover half of the tuition/fees 😂 I hope you get into uManitoba so you don't have to go with this option!

You Applied to uManitoba also right? You hear anything yet? Someone on the FB group suggested the second wave of decisions may go out after March 4th. I think that is the deadline for the first wave of applications to accept or not.

8 minutes ago, Pizzapunx said:

You Applied to uManitoba also right? You hear anything yet? Someone on the FB group suggested the second wave of decisions may go out after March 4th. I think that is the deadline for the first wave of applications to accept or not.

I haven't heard anything yet either!

I was waitlisted for Waterloo today. Does anyone know how many spots they have in the program vs the waitlist? They gave no information other than that I have been placed on the waitlist. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Kai24 said:

I was waitlisted for Waterloo today. Does anyone know how many spots they have in the program vs the waitlist? They gave no information other than that I have been placed on the waitlist. Thanks!

Part-time or full-time?

This might be a silly question but I just want to confirm something - does a full-time final year consist of 5 courses?

im wondering because i took courses sporadically in my last year of my bsw (example, 2nd year - 2 courses in my first semester and 3 in my second semester). In my offer my condition if that I receive at least a mid B in my final year of study - how many courses would that consist of? Or do the amount of courses not matter?

21 minutes ago, paulinababy said:

This might be a silly question but I just want to confirm something - does a full-time final year consist of 5 courses?

im wondering because i took courses sporadically in my last year of my bsw (example, 2nd year - 2 courses in my first semester and 3 in my second semester). In my offer my condition if that I receive at least a mid B in my final year of study - how many courses would that consist of? Or do the amount of courses not matter?

A full time course load for an entire school year is usually 8-10 classes; so 4-5 classes per semester. But I think as long as you maintain a mid B average than the amount of courses you're taking won't matter? To be completely sure, I'd contact the school you got into to ask. :)