SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

I tried to post an email update I received but it got held back by moderation. Sorry if it ends up double posting! It's not the update we were hoping for. ://

They said "The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet next week."

So we should all try to turn off our brains this weekend. We're not getting anything till Monday at the earliest. 

2 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

I tried to post an email update I received but it got held back by moderation. Sorry if it ends up double posting! It's not the update we were hoping for. ://

They said "The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet next week."

So we should all try to turn off our brains this weekend. We're not getting anything till Monday at the earliest. 

Did the email come from SSHRC or your institution? I haven't received an email yet! 

32 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, foucult said:

Fingers crossed we hear today!!🤞

I seen that someone called SSHRC and they told them it would be the 30th 😩 still will prob be refreshing my email all day lol 

24 minutes ago, Hopeful_2024 said:

I seen that someone called SSHRC and they told them it would be the 30th 😩 still will prob be refreshing my email all day lol 

Oh man! Another day of torture 😭

1 hour ago, Hopeful_2024 said:

Was it someone on this thread who called? I haven't had any luck calling because we can only reach the IT help desk!

15 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Was it someone on this thread who called? I haven't had any luck calling because we can only reach the IT help desk!

Nope! I'm in a discord group with other psychology students across Canada and it was posted there :) 

10 minutes ago, Hopeful_2024 said:

Nope! I'm in a discord group with other psychology students across Canada and it was posted there :) 

As brutal as this update is, thanks for sharing! I had a feeling when the response to Chicha3Maddy's email was just "next week" instead of "by the 30th" or "early next week" that sshrc was behind. 

40 minutes ago, impatientlylurking said:

As brutal as this update is, thanks for sharing! I had a feeling when the response to Chicha3Maddy's email was just "next week" instead of "by the 30th" or "early next week" that sshrc was behind. 

I had this fear as well... at this point, tomorrow may actually be the best case scenario 🙃

I remember last year the goalpost just kept moving... They would give us a date and then that date would pass. I wish we were seeing more understanding of how vulnerable a position we're in as students waiting this out. 20k a year (never mind the new 40k!!) can make an immediate, tangible difference in our financial wellbeing. Feeling a lot of anxiety and pressure around these results makes sense, and I think clear communication and transparency around timeline is a fair ask. But it really feels that the urgency... is not matched on their end. 

57 minutes ago, tajfel1979 said:

With the increase in budget, does anyone know what will happen to Canada Graduate Scholarship- Doctoral (3-years valued at $35k a year)? Will that be discontinued or have an increase? 

I believe all scholarships (Vanier, etc.) will be merged into one- at 40K a year.

3 minutes ago, ladyphd said:

I believe all scholarships (Vanier, etc.) will be merged into one- at 40K a year.

Do we know if it's all scholarships (existing and awarded in the future) will benefit from the 40K? As in, if we get awarded the $20K/year this week, will this turn into $40K/year once the budget is approved. Or is it only for awards after budget approval?

Also, you are correct they will be merged: https://budget.canada.ca/2024/report-rapport/chap4-en.html# (Figure 4.2). They also mention: "To make it easier for students and fellows to access support, the enhanced suite of scholarships and fellowship programs will be streamlined into one talent program."

But here it just says the "New Talent Program Annual Award", not mentioning if it will apply to existing awards