SSHRC CGS-D & Doctoral Fellowships 2024-2025

thejorts

I shudder at the thought about what would happen if the Budget Vote is defeated in the House. These greater opportunities with larger sums of money get dashed before they can occur.

Makes me wonder if the funds will appear from elsewhere.

56 minutes ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Does anyone else feel their grad school fate entirely tied to SSHRC? 

Like, if they don't get this, they might drop out of their program? Go ahead, SSHRC, take your time--just my whole future in purgatory right now. 😂

Somewhat. About halfway through last year I was seriously considering quitting. I was miserable. It just became too hard trying to do school work, work RA jobs, write for publication, apply and prepare for conferences, apply for funding all while trying to make ends meet with an outside job. Maybe I was delusional, but I really thought I would have received some additional funding by now. I was lead to believe by supervisors and the department that I had a great chance. Apparently that is not the case. Haha! Now nearing the end of my third year, I am doubtful that the funding will happen, but I feel like I have gone too far to quit now. So I think I will stick it out. 

Just now, ladyphd said:

So, has anyone gotten an answer yet?🫠

Still nothing from me... I think we might be waiting another day. I amused myself by going back and reading last year's thread from about April 26th onwards. It was utter chaos but what really stuck out was how much solidarity people on the thread were showing each other! I know the wait is excruciating but you're all amazing and I so hope things pan out for you. ❤️💪🏽

5 hours ago, Shannon Lynn said:

Somewhat. About halfway through last year I was seriously considering quitting. I was miserable. It just became too hard trying to do school work, work RA jobs, write for publication, apply and prepare for conferences, apply for funding all while trying to make ends meet with an outside job. Maybe I was delusional, but I really thought I would have received some additional funding by now. I was lead to believe by supervisors and the department that I had a great chance. Apparently that is not the case. Haha! Now nearing the end of my third year, I am doubtful that the funding will happen, but I feel like I have gone too far to quit now. So I think I will stick it out. 

Good for you for sticking it out! I hope the topic and work still inspire you. :)

I emailed again to confirm that results would be out today! Here was the response: 

"Good morning,

The results will be downloaded in 2 batches. Some will be downloaded on the Extranet tonight and the rest tomorrow night. You will receive an email probably this afternoon with information on how to see your results." 

So... some of us will be out of our misery today, but not all of us. 🙃🙃

7 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

I emailed again to confirm that results would be out today! Here was the response: 

"Good morning,

The results will be downloaded in 2 batches. Some will be downloaded on the Extranet tonight and the rest tomorrow night. You will receive an email probably this afternoon with information on how to see your results." 

Oh this is dreadful! Thank you so much for letting us know! On the upside, it sounds like this may be their plan to avoid last year's chaos. 

7 minutes ago, Hopeful_2024 said:

Oh this is dreadful! Thank you so much for letting us know! On the upside, it sounds like this may be their plan to avoid last year's chaos. 

Gosh, let's hope so! 

19 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

"Good morning,

It would be cool if they could give us some idea of how those "batches" will work. For example, if it's alphabetical, those of us from O-Z can forget about it for another two daytimes 🙈

7 minutes ago, Gretta Conroy said:

Afraid to ask but... what happened last year? lol

Results started to get released on April 26th, and then their systems crashed. Everyone from committees 1-3 had heard, but only some from 4, and no one from 5. Then it took them five days to resolve the tech issues. So those people who hadn't heard yet were just sitting in limbo. 

9 minutes ago, LeahH said:

It would be cool if they could give us some idea of how those "batches" will work. For example, if it's alphabetical, those of us from O-Z can forget about it for another two daytimes 🙈

It could be alphabetical or it could be based on committee. I'm guessing that it's based on committee because that's how it went last year due to what happened when the system crashed. 

30 minutes ago, lyonharted07 said:

It could be alphabetical or it could be based on committee. I'm guessing that it's based on committee because that's how it went last year due to what happened when the system crashed. 

Fair enough! I remember thinking that it was bonkers that they would use snail mail to communicate results (like, up until just before COVID), but it almost seems that it would be better. At the very least, we would be somewhat prevented from checking constantly due to not being around our mailboxes all day and night. 🤣

Edited by LeahH

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this topic since October but I finally made an account now because I CANNOT TAKE IT ALONE ANYMORE.

I think my blood is 50 percent nicotine and caffeine at this point. This last few days have been hell.

I am pretty sure the batches will be split by committee. 1-3 tonight and 4-5 tomorrow.

I am committee 5 :)))))))))

going insane.

Edited by thisphdwillkillme
there are 5 committees not 6***

7 minutes ago, thisphdwillkillme said:

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this topic since October but I finally made an account now because I CANNOT TAKE IT ALONE ANYMORE.

I think my blood is 50 percent nicotine and caffeine at this point. This last few days have been hell.

I am pretty sure the batches will be split by committee. 1-3 tonight and 4-6 tomorrow.

going insane.

How do you know what committee you are in?

Edit: I googled it, like a real researcher: https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

Committee 1!

Edited by artyphd

Just now, thisphdwillkillme said:

Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure the batches will be split by committee. 1-3 tonight and 4-6 tomorrow.

going insane.

Bahaha welcome to the chaos! The more the merrier to ride out the next cursed 48 hours 🫠